Exercise cals and average heart rate

Options
hey,

I have a polar hrm I'm not sure of the model but it gives me my average heart rate for the length of time I ask. I then put my info from that into a calorie counter and it tells me my cals earned at the gym.
I'm just wondering how accurate doing this is? I ask because I always seem to burn alot more than the machines tell me, I know they are usually wrong but people say they over estimate which isn't the case for me?

My resting heart rate is 49 and when I do a full on workout either on treadmill or crosstrainer I get to around 155-170 depending on intensity. This is where I burn most cals! So why do the machines tell me 125 is my fat burning zone? I'd burn next to no cals and barely break out a sweat or feel like I'm working out at all!

Replies

• The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have a polar hrm as well, I use it religiously.
    And I actually trust it more than the machines.

So you have 2 options.
    1. Trust the machine - eat accordingly
    2. Trust the HRM - eat accordingly

Trial and error may be the only way to be certain.
    As for the125 'fat burning zone'? yeah good question. I guess that applies if your 12 years old or 99 years old. However, I doubt it. I think the machine is made for serving the populous. While the HRM feels much more personal.
    Just my opinion.
  • RSO206
    RSO206 Posts: 39
    Options
    I use a Polar FT-4 and use it every time I bike. When I ride 2hr my HRM reads 1600 give or take a few and on MFP for 2hr @ 12-15mph it only says 1151. I usually trust what the Polar is saying and minus off my resting cals burned (60-85) and just leave it at that.
  • Imvidal
    Imvidal Posts: 22
    Options
    I just started using an HRM, it's also a Polar the FT4. Before using it the machines always told me I burned 100 cals less than what my HRM tells me. I was feeling the workout but the damn machines never really hit it on with me. I now only trust my HRM, nothing else really.

I hope this helps :-)
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    Thanks guys it good to know I'm not the only one that earns more cals than the machines say lol! We must be super efficient calorie burners hehe!