what do you guys think

So I'm completely and 100% new to the Idea of even losing any weight so I did some calculating and everything points to me being on a 2000-2200 calorie a day plan however I have set it for myself to be around 1200-1400 my question I guess is there a great harm to do this? I eat a protein bar for breakfast and maybe some applesauce,,, then for lunch another protein bar or protein drink then for dinner its generally 4-8oz of fish or chicken a half cup of rice and that's about it until around 9ish or so and then I have a 90 calorie brownie kinda snack .... been told by others that there surprised that i don't feel like I'm starving to death .. but honestly I feel pretty good :)

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    For a male, the minimum advised calorie allotment is 1500 a day, unless you're exceptionally short. This is as it is because there can be some side effects from a consistant low calorie diet. For one - it's very difficult for men to meet their macro goals and to get the nutrition they need from such a low calorie count. From the amount of fruit, veggies and other fiberous and nutrient-rich foods that seems to be missing from your brief summary of your diet, I would wager this is not a good, sustainable plan for you.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited July 2015
    How long have you been eating 1200 cals? My guess is not very long. According to your profile you have quite a lot to lose, so it's going to take a while. Eat the 2000 per day, be patient and you WILL lose, and you're much more likely to stick to it, rather than binging crazily because your body is starving (which it is!)

ETA: yes, also, back off the protein bars and shakes and eat some real food. Much more flavourful and satisfying!

Good luck!
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    I wouldn't recommend this. For a healthier and more easily sustainable loss, aim for 2000, like the calculators are telling you. You're probably not going to lose any slower eating so little, but you'll end up with no energy and feeling like crud until you end up binging.

A little loss that lasts is better than a lot of loss that doesn't.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    I am a 5 foot 5, 30 year old female and to lose 1lb a week, MFP has set me at 1603 calories.
    1200 - 1400 for a male is very very low.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    What did your doctor suggest in terms of the amount of calories to consume? I agree with everyone else: 1200 - 1400 is dangerously low. I'm 5'4" and am maintaining at 1340 cals per day. Unless your doctor or nutritionist says otherwise, eat more, bro.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited July 2015
    Too low and poor diet imo. try it but nutrution is importnat. Wheres all the fruit and veg. complex carbs? Proteingbar manufacturers will love it.
    Fat, fibre, vitamins, carbs?
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    I'm 270ish, losing 1 lb a week and I'm set to 2060 per day. I could do a couple days at 1200, but after a few days when the glycogen levels have dropped, I'd be starving. I was set at -2lbs a week, and at 1560, but it wasn't feeling very sustainable. So I bumped it up, and I'm so much happier!
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    If you need to lose weight fast then by all means, but if not 10-12 calories per pound is a slow and stay way to loss weight.
  • mikeymike040315
    mikeymike040315 Posts: 4 Member
    Bro, you got this. I'm a lot like you, recommended calorie intake for me is 2100, but I never go past 1500 plus on a cheat day that I do, I'm working out and burning anywhere between 400-800 calories. So be mindful of what you're eating and have accountability for it. You'll shed that crap right off brother.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Bro, you got this. I'm a lot like you, recommended calorie intake for me is 2100, but I never go past 1500 plus on a cheat day that I do, I'm working out and burning anywhere between 400-800 calories. So be mindful of what you're eating and have accountability for it. You'll shed that crap right off brother.

Correction..."You'll shed that MUSCLE MASS right off brother"......
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Why not try 2000 and see how it goes for a month? 1200 is the minimum intake for a woman and will probably leave you deprived of important nutrients needed to fuel your body.
  • saramesselaar
    saramesselaar Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
  • Keklepke
    Keklepke Posts: 34 Member
    It's all depend on your height and weight. 1400-1500 should work
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited July 2015
    OP - if MFP is giving you 2000 calories to eat, why are you going to only eat 1500??? Also, at that low of an intake you are doing to lose a bunch of muscle along with fat.
    this is my standard advice:

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

read the below sticky

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

• 33Chief
    33Chief Posts: 106 Member
    You may be able to do it for a few days every now and again but sustained low calories will be bad for energy levels. Stick with 2000 and the weight will come off.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    crazy talk. eat food and still lose weight.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    labohn91 wrote: »
    If you need to lose weight fast then by all means, but if not 10-12 calories per pound is a slow and stay way to loss weight.

No one needs to lose weight fast. It's not safe to do, or healthy. 1-2 lbs per week is safe and healthy. Op needs to lose weight safely by following the calories recommended to him by the fitness site he chose, and by the people who are now telling him he needs to eat more calories and real food.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    So I'm completely and 100% new to the Idea of even losing any weight

You're making a very common mistake for people trying to lose weight for the first time. Learn from our experiences and failures, your plan may seem to work for a while, if you can sustain it, but eventually you will crash and regain lost weight and probably more. Follow the recommended calorie intake.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    As you go along, it's going to get harder to lose. You're going to need to cut your calories. Keep them as high as you can while still losing so that you'll have something to cut later.

That's my advice, take it or leave it, as you please. :)