Why I'm Back

Options
So yesterday I got my test results from some blood work I did . Let's just say I wasn't expecting what I was told. I knew I wasn't the healthy guy, but never thought it was as bad as it was.
So my blood glucose levels were high. I am pre diabetic. My liver is not well. Doc believes it is just due to fat around the liver. My vitamin D is low. Like very low. The doc said 60 is where I should be for normal, I was a 13. So I need to lose weight, and change my eating habits. So I guess my work is on.

Any help from MFP friends please let me know. Any stories you have that would help please share. It's going to be a hard road for me. As I love to eat junk food.

So all the help you have to give please give.

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    The good news is you want to take positive action for a healthier you.

The good news is that Fatty Liver syndrome can be treated. And for many people it isn't a problem, provided that they don't revert back or have an underlying genetic causation.

Start tracking on here what you eat. Everything. Be very specific as to amounts. Leave nothing out. If your doctor put you on a specific diet or told you specific things to stay away from, heed his words over anything you read here or anywhere else.

Do you stay inside all the time? If so, it would help your vitamin D level to get outside.

As to exercise, start off by walking 20 minutes a day. That may not sound like much. However, if you haven't been active at all exercise wise, that is a good first step. The last thing you want to do, is go full tilt with exercise the first week, and injure yourself.

Walk a week at 20 minutes a day. Week 2 do the same time but walk twice a day. Slowly build each week. Slow and steady will be safer and yield better results.
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great advice from BasicGreatGuy ... I just stopped in to wish you well and congratulate you on that first step of "decision"! So many people have found healing here with improved lifestyle and you can too!
  • Keklepke
    Keklepke Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place! There are so many people here who give me better support than family or friends!! Don't give up!
  • cgolden1701
    cgolden1701 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the support. It's great to know people are here to help.
  • cgolden1701
    Options

Walk a week at 20 minutes a day. Week 2 do the same time but walk twice a day. Slowly build each week. Slow and steady will be safer and yield better results.

Thank you for the advice. I do get out side a lot. The doc said that here with all the smog makes it hard to get the Vitamin D.
  • alaa_mohd
    alaa_mohd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Coming back is just a great step you made because it is all in your hands. Regarding your blood sugar, try to add cinnamon to your diet. It balances sugar level and cravings. You can boil a couple of sticks for 10-15 mins and drink it. No need to sweeten it, it tastes sweet already. Good luck.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I had a similar Come To Jesus moment at the doctor's. Woke up eating Crunch Berries and Krispy Kremes, went to bed eating baked chicken and green beans. Nothing like a "If you don't make huge changes, right now, you'll probably die" to knock some sense into you!

After testing, I got a NASH diagnosis and not a cancer one (yay that.) B-12 and D were both abysmally low - one was lower than they can even test for. There's more, too, lol, but none similar to you.

I'm down 85 pounds from 250. My liver has improved (woot!), but is still not great and sometimes I have pain there. It's clinically better, but it didn't hurt at all (unless someone pressed on it) when all this crap got found and now it does. They don't know why I hurt now when I didn't before, but we are all guessing it might not be good, lol.

If I did all the things I've done to get better and still get sicker and croak, I'm going to be very pissed, lol.

I tell you all of this so that you'll believe me when I say: Deal with this now, while you can. Follow the doctor's orders. I don't care who else tells you what else. If you read something here or on WebMD...if a friend or coworker tells you you'd be better off with X, Y and Z or that their aunt did something else or whatever (!) - pay it no attention. Follow the doctor's orders.

Don't wait until it's too late and don't get into my position, wondering if your liver is going to get better or kill you.

Liver problems are no joke. When the liver goes, you die. You can try for a new one, but there isn't usually time to get a new one when it craps out suddenly.

Don't play games with it. Do your best to follow the doctor's orders. It's your life you're talking about.
  • cgolden1701
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I had a similar Come To Jesus moment at the doctor's. Woke up eating Crunch Berries and Krispy Kremes, went to bed eating baked chicken and green beans. Nothing like a "If you don't make huge changes, right now, you'll probably die" to knock some sense into you!

Thank you so much for your story. It is very inspirational. I hope all works out for you. I just had my Echo yesterday, and my liver ultra sound tomorrow. I go back on 8/11 to get the results. Till then, I will be doing all I can to get better, and I will be following the docs orders. Right now just telling me to cut back, no real strict diet as of yet.