ground beef cooked or raw weight?

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Raw is more accurate, so use the raw entry and move on.
  • Leka1000
    Leka1000 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Every ones answers pretty much differ...i need a food scientist!
    Gonna check out calorie king too. Thx
  • Leka1000
    Options
    Lol calorie king is really lame....wont even find raw ground beef..
  • Leka1000
    Options
    It's plain ridiculous the difference in calories for the same piece of food cooked or raw. Weights are different and cals are different.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Leka1000 wrote: »
    It's plain ridiculous the difference in calories for the same piece of food cooked or raw. Weights are different and cals are different.

Of course they are - everyone's 200g of raw meat is going to make different weights of cooked meat, depending on how you cook them. That's why it's best to log it as raw meat.

If it was 80/20, search: ground beef, 80/20, raw - and log it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

You do understand that when it's raw there is water in it that comes out when it cooks? And the chemical make up of the meat itself changes, affecting the density of the meat? The fat also cooks, some cooking into the meat and some cooking out of the meat. All of these things affect the weight and the calorie count.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

you can be incredulous all you want, but those are the facts :)

Log it raw, log it cooked, the choice is yours but just make sure that you use the correct entry.

• Leka1000
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

You do understand that when it's raw there is water in it that comes out when it cooks? And the chemical make up of the meat itself changes, affecting the density of the meat? The fat also cooks, some cooking into the meat and some cooking out of the meat. All of these things affect the weight and the calorie count.
    well that said then neither the raw or cooked logging is accurate. ...or does the system take these things into consideration? ??

• mccindy72
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you can be incredulous all you want, but those are the facts :)

Log it raw, log it cooked, the choice is yours but just make sure that you use the correct entry.

but don't forget the calories are also different for different fat contents.... 95/5, 93/7, 85/15, 80/20, 73/27...
  • mccindy72
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

well that said then neither the raw or cooked logging is accurate. ...or does the system take these things into consideration? ??

jesus-facepalm.jpg
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wow, wait until you get to pasta :smiley:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What if i rinse my ground beef under the hot tap after cooking? :naughty:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

SNORT

I love you!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I log things using the cooked entry whenever I can. I like to log what I actually eat. It's not always possible, but where I can, I log cooked. Seems more accurate to me to log what you eat.

Some people prefer the raw version. Whatever floats your boat.

Your doing it wrong.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Cannibal sandwiches?
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    log raw and move on. 200g of 80/20 ground beef at 500 calories sounds right.

1 serving of most meats are around 4 oz raw or 113g.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I log things using the cooked entry whenever I can. I like to log what I actually eat. It's not always possible, but where I can, I log cooked. Seems more accurate to me to log what you eat.

Some people prefer the raw version. Whatever floats your boat.

Your doing it wrong.
    If the dietitian's approval wasn't good enough for me, your disapproval would seal the deal.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Snort!

Always weigh your pasta, rice, quinoa raw too.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    That burger is pretty cold by now