VEGAN WEIGHTLOSS

Options
Hi my name is alice and I've been a vegan for three years. I was looking for other vegans on here who would like to add me so we can chat and help each other reach our fitness goals:)

Replies

• tiffwalton
    tiffwalton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan!! I am pretty new, only about a month and a half being vegan. I have lost 13lbs. so far on this lifestyle
  • vegan_flowerchild
    vegan_flowerchild Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Would you like to add each other on this thingie?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Vegan since 2008. Still weigh the same or more, but then again, bodyfat from around 35% down to 14% or so now. My logging is crap though... but I'm not really trying to lose anymore. My goals have changed to something different. But if you want vegan nutritional advice...
  • vegan_flowerchild
    Options
    As far as sodium and day go, I aim to eat no more that 100mg of sodium a day and 5% of fat but it's kinda difficult for me since I love oats and almond milk. What should I do?

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    As far as sodium and day go, I aim to eat no more that 100mg of sodium a day and 5% of fat but it's kinda difficult for me since I love oats and almond milk. What should I do?

I don't think any medical professionals would consider that a healthy level of sodium and fat. I suggest talking to your doctor or a registered dietician.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why 5% fat? That is extremely low.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    even dr. mcdougall, who recommends a very low fat diet, recommends getting 10% of your calories from fat.
  • merde_il_pleut
    merde_il_pleut Posts: 17 Member
    Options

The adequate intake for sodium (that is, the minimum amount required for most healthy adults) is 1500 mg. You'll have serious problems if you stick to 100 mg/day.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

The adequate intake for sodium (that is, the minimum amount required for most healthy adults) is 1500 mg. You'll have serious problems if you stick to 100 mg/day.

I dont think that is right. I have seen a few rawfooders online who eat less than 1000mg a day, regularly.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Fat is essential to your body. 5% won't cut it.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Sodium is also important in your diet, you need to eat more of it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, you definietly need more than 5% fat. Fat is essential for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that other nutrients are fat-soluble, so if you don't have the required amount of fat, you lose out on those nutrients.

Same with sodium, while going nuts with it may or may not be bad, a certain level is essential. Lack of sodium can cause headaches, muscle spasms and seizures and eventually death.
  • jmacdona2
    jmacdona2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been a vegan for almost 2 years. I love it because all of the pain from arthritis and fibromyalgia have disappeared because vegan food eliminates inflammation. On the other hand, I've gained aboug seven pounds and can't seem to get it off. I'm actually about 17 lbs overweight now. HELP! I used to eat chicken breast, lean beef, egg whites, fish -- and I'd lose weight. Now what?
  • vegan_flowerchild
    Options
    Yeah I don't know what I was thinking a few months ago. I was trying in an impossible way to lose weight. An u healthy way. Well I'm on the 80 10 10 and it's perfect.
  • luckyshelly06
    luckyshelly06 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been vegan now almost two months and just seen my nutritionist yesterday.. my main goal was to make sure i was getting all my nutritional needs met and set up a plan to lose weight. He set me up with macros of 55%c/25%p/20%f. I'm finding it some what difficult to get in my protein and keep cards at bay..looking to add some friends for help and food ideas :) Thx!