Do I need to up my calories

Options
nxtiv
nxtiv Posts: 26 Member
I'm 5'4 and 105 pounds, to be honest I eat less than 1000 calories everyday, today I had WAY MORE than I usually do, I'm vegan, so it is harder to get calories but this is basically what I had

1 large baked potato
2 cups of spinach
2 large carrots
1 large cucumber
A cup of watermelon
A clementine
A cup of of celery

I used to be able to eat less and workout more but now it's catching up with me and I find myself not having energy to workout

It is very difficult though, I don't trust many foods, I basically just eat so I have energy to workout; I need advice please

Replies

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    nxtiv wrote: »
    I eat less than 1000 calories everyday

Even if you weren't exercising the answer would be yes

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

There are vegan-friendly foods on this list. Are there things you can put onto the veggies you eat to increase the calorie count?
  • nxtiv
    Options
    I don't trust them :( anything that's high in fat scares me that's why I don't even eat avocados, today was actually a big deal because I had a baked potato and I feel horrible for it
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You want to gain weight, correct?
  • nxtiv
    Options
    Maintain and build muscle and lose fat
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

You are underweight though. You definitely need to be eating more. And perhaps talk to a professional.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I don't trust them :( anything that's high in fat scares me that's why I don't even eat avocados, today was actually a big deal because I had a baked potato and I feel horrible for it

This statement is worrisome. You should talk to someone who specializes in eating disorders. Your fear of food is something you should get help with before it causes you more trouble.
  • angel_minor18
    angel_minor18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree...if you speak to a professional they can point you in the right direction. It's so important for us, especially women, to make sure that not only do we stay physically fit, but that our minds and souls do as well :) You should eat that avocado, they promote hair, skin, and nail health lol!!! Best of luck to you on your journey :)
  • chasingthesun85
    chasingthesun85 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, and I make a lot of soups, pastas, beans etc. your not getting any protein and it's not good for you, do you get sick a lot? Because your lacking three things the body needs to survive: protein, carbs and fats. All are necessary in healthy amounts and will not cause you to gain fat if eaten properly, but will keep you healthy. You can be vegan/vegetarian and still be really healthy! And not get fat!
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Oh no,well I'm a vegan too, I used to be scared of fats but ahm they are necessary, I do have a handsome ( enough ) amount of nuts and avocado when I can, I also enjoy whole wheat bread or pasta, brown rice, legumes plenty, and vegan goodies like sausauges,nuggets,also fresh salads and even cookies now and then so, I had the same problem but now I'm hitting 2.2k calories with not much of a problem, I recommend you think about this and well try another approach. Body needs fuel
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    To correct the formatting in my previous post... :sigh: :pensive:

In answer to your question, yes, you need to up your calories.
    You should see a dietician. Perhaps your eating disorder counselor / doctor is allied with one?

Use this calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine.
    It will tell you not only your BMI, but how many servings of various food groups to eat to maintain that weight.
    The LOWEST weight in the 'healthy' BMI range for your height is 110. So start there.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

nxtiv wrote:
    I'm 5'4 and 105 pounds, to be honest I eat less than 1000 calories everyday
    You're below the healthy BMI/weight range.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

Also:
    BMI-Chart-eng.png

today I had WAY MORE than I usually do
    1 large baked potato
    2 cups of spinach
    2 large carrots
    1 large cucumber
    A cup of watermelon
    A clementine
    A cup of of celery
    I don't trust many foods, I basically just eat so I have energy to work out; I need advice please
    anything that's high in fat scares me
    This is not normal. Neither is eating so little.
    SEE A PROFESSIONAL COUNSELOR who deals with eating disorders.
    Please do it soon, so you don't harm yourself any more.

Nearly impossible to do both at once*, and on what you're describing, it ain't gonna happen.
    Oh, you'll lose fat all right, if there's any left to lose (doubtful).
    Put your stats into this calculator.
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
    Then click the down arrow below your results to see the healthy ranges for body fat %.

But you're already burning muscle.
    It's a lot easier to maintain than regain.
    Start eating a healthy amount of food & calories.
    Have enough protein. The current best recommendation is 10-35% of calories. Aim for 35.
    Do weightlifting 2-3 times a week, with at least a day of recovery in between. Start with body
    weight exercises.

* see www.bodyrecomposition.com
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    That list of foods doesn't sound like it would add up to over 1000 calories, and if that's more than you normally eat in a day then your normal calorie intake must be worryingly low.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

Hello, former Vegan for almost 4 years. I used to compete in martial arts and now don't, and have incorporated animal products back into my diet.
    I took a look at what you posted as your diary for the day.
    My first thought is fat, fats are essential for healthy bodies, especially female bodies. Our hormones require fats for production not to mention our intestines love them for digestion. My biggest fear for people who are scared to eat fats is constipation and intestinal impaction...not fun.
    Also, I didn't see much protein on there either. Do you eat temph? Other soy, legumes? Flax?
    I read your other post about wanting to maintain and make gains in muscle. I can say you'd need to tack on protein to achieve this goal. There are plenty of protein recommendations. My body tends to be effecient on the lower spectrum but here's a good reference by a PhD RD
    http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/060114p22.shtml