Ideas for low carbs, high protein diet.

Options
Zoel7322
Zoel7322 Posts: 8 Member
edited July 2015 in Recipes
My dietician has advised me to only have 2 slices of wholemeal bread a day, and to eat a lot of protein but I'm finding I'm running out of quick ideas. I always find if my meals take too long to cook I end up snacking and I'm getting bored of plain chicken and fish. Please help!

Replies

• mitchelsimps
    mitchelsimps Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Chicken salads? cut up a load of chicken before the week and your good. then if you get bored of chicken, use another lean meat :D
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can really find that is 0 carbs is meat.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't think you mean zero carbs, certainly not if you're still allowed 2 slices of bread!

Low carb stuff would include veggies - I made a really tasty blackened fish dish last night, with a fresh salsa.
  • InsaneFitness94
    InsaneFitness94 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could eat prawns :smile:
  • bombus
    bombus Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelettes are good, also Turkey breast is low fat & high protein. Take a look at some paleo diet resources. I use paleo leap but there are lots available. You'll quickly find lots of ideas. Foods such a quinoa & Greek yogurt are also high protein. Good luck on your journey.
  • Zoel7322
    Options
    Yeah I don't think you mean zero carbs, certainly not if you're still allowed 2 slices of bread!

Low carb stuff would include veggies - I made a really tasty blackened fish dish last night, with a fresh salsa.

Yes sorry I understand I have my fruit and veggies worked out to the amount of carbs I'm allowed, but my day has to be very low and I'm finding it hard not to have potatoes or rice with meals. Always feel like something is missing :'(
  • Zoel7322
    Options
    bombus wrote: »
    Egg white omelettes are good, also Turkey breast is low fat & high protein. Take a look at some paleo diet resources. I use paleo leap but there are lots available. You'll quickly find lots of ideas. Foods such a quinoa & Greek yogurt are also high protein. Good luck on your journey.

Thanks I've never actually had quinoa, I'll try it and see if I like it :smile:
  • hayleyedgar
    hayleyedgar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i used to eat a lot of bread I mean A LOT. I have replaced the sandwich I would have eaten for lunch today with fritatas containing eggs, tuna and onion and a sprinkle of pepper. I make them in muffin trays so they are small enough and you can substitute whatever meat you would like. With this simple change and working out a little more I have lost a stone! I would definitely recommend them they are yummy.
  • ms_true
    ms_true Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Chicken and fish don't have to be plain. I mixed up a cajun spice mix and it's really tasty. Also grate a little parmesan cheese. A little pesto sauce goes a long way. Soy sauce & crushed garlic is nice on fish. Or a squeeze of lemon. etc
  • Zoel7322
    Options
    i used to eat a lot of bread I mean A LOT. I have replaced the sandwich I would have eaten for lunch today with fritatas containing eggs, tuna and onion and a sprinkle of pepper. I make them in muffin trays so they are small enough and you can substitute whatever meat you would like. With this simple change and working out a little more I have lost a stone! I would definitely recommend them they are yummy.
    Wow that's sounds really yummy! Might have that for lunch today.. just have to stop myself from filling a full tray :blush:
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    How many carbs a day do you have to play with? Cauliflower rice, or courgette "spaghetti" are good substitutes.
  • Zoel7322
    Options
    How many carbs a day do you have to play with? Cauliflower rice, or courgette "spaghetti" are good substitutes.

130-150g not sure if that would be within it I would have to look it up
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Good grief that's LOADS! I try to stay around 100g a day, and that's pretty easy. I go for eggs or yoghurt at breakfast, though I've recently found a buckwheat granola which is gorgeous. Lunch will be along the soup or salad line, or leftovers. I keep the startchy-carby element of the evening meal small, and increase the protein and veg bits.
  • Zoel7322
    Options
    Good grief that's LOADS! I try to stay around 100g a day, and that's pretty easy. I go for eggs or yoghurt at breakfast, though I've recently found a buckwheat granola which is gorgeous. Lunch will be along the soup or salad line, or leftovers. I keep the startchy-carby element of the evening meal small, and increase the protein and veg bits.

Really? I'm only getting used to this and I used to eat a lot of carbs. That's what she recommended and from her diet plan it looks very low.. I'd need a lot more than that to keep me from being hungry :blush:
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You can still have your potatoes and rice but work them into your day. So if you want rice with dinner keep your carbs very low at breakfast with some eggs and veggies or Greek yogurt and 1 slice toast. Swap out your sandwiches for a wrap or something with less carbs and more fiber to fill you up.

I eat about 1880 calories a day and eat roughly 150 +/- carbs a day. Sometimes over but I'm choosing to go over to meet my macro goals. You're welcome to add me as a friend. My diary is open.
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    I used to have cereal or toast for breakfast. Then a scone mid morning. Then a sandwich for lunch. By the time I reached for a mid-afternoon biscuit my stomach was in knots.

I experimented with a gluten-free diet for a while, but after trial and error I found that it was just so many carbs in close succession. As the poster above me says, just reduce them. Try to pick one meal in the day that it's easy to switch out. The MFP food diary is a great help - you'll be able to see where your big carb hitters are. Get creative in changing or swapping or reducing the worst offenders.
  • JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    go to Pintrest they have a lot of great stuff on there
  • Zoel7322
    Options
    JennyJ2015 wrote: »
    go to Pintrest they have a lot of great stuff on there

I'm addicted to pinterest, but never really looked at food on it.. I'll definitely start thanks :)
  • MrsHcrane
    MrsHcrane Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My dietician told me to try flatout bread it's really good :)
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My fav for lunch is a cheese stick wrapped in turkey or ham wrapped in lettuce. Eat with vegetables and a little hummas on the side.