Over 60 years of age

Options
Swissmiss
Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
I have been searching for a group to help people who are over the age of 60. There are plenty of them for over 50s and 40s. Would anyone else be interested in starting one?

Replies

• Lindy222
    Lindy222 Posts: 9
    Options
    Me too - been watching for that suggestion - am 65 - fit and healthy - hoping to lose a few pounds but also eat well - have fallen into bad habits because am a snacker and a "Oh cant be bothered for me" cook !

Would be good to have a mate !
  • AugiPug
    AugiPug Posts: 3
    Options
    I am 64 and interested.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'd join up too. 61 and overweight due to a traffic accident that reduced my mobility.
  • patsyanne
    patsyanne Posts: 111
    Options
    65 and interested. Am overweight and need support and suggestions on exercise DVDs, etc
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You know that you have my participation Becky!!!!!......Age 67, almost, and the metabolism definitely isn't what it used to be......
    Shari
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Hi Becky, Glad to see you. I still participate on Women Ages 50+ that has lots of over 60's also Senior Golden Sneakers which is a small friendly group, but I'd love to be connected with all of you.

count me in :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Lindy222...Do you keep cut up fruit and vegetables ready and at hand? There are also a lot of 100 calorie snack packs out now. Becareful with these...if you eat more than one pack then you get too many calories. Have to stay at only one.

:flowerforyou: grassette...Two years ago I had some major surgery and could not do much for about three months. Are you taking any therapy? This alone can sometimes be quite a workout. Be sure that you keep in touch with your doctor before doing anything.

:flowerforyou: patsyanne...Are you using any DVDs at this time? They can be great because you can work at your own pace. I just got the Zumba Fitness kit. I did Zumba at the YMCA for a couple of years and then quit last November. I want to start dancing away at home.

I just turn 60 in January. I do post in some threads here for older people but not usually this old.:laugh: I feel that as we age it is even more important to eat healthy and stay active. We will have better retirement years this way. What an I saying???? I plan to never retire. Oh well, at least I can be healthy while working.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: shari...I feel that you can do so much to help us. You have been a great inspiration for me and you wouldn't allow me to slack. Thank you.

:flowerforyou: Barbie..the Y that I am a member of has classes for the older generation. They call themselves the "Silver Sneakers". They only meet during the day so I have never attended any of their classes.:ohwell:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: To any older people out there looking for a group to get encouragement, I would recogmend the "Senior Golden Sneakers" thread.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I realize that most anyone reading this is over the age of 60 but, does anyone still have children living at home? How does this affect your healthy eating? I have two teenage daughters living with me. They will not eat anything that I prepare. They only want fast food junk. Fortunately, they have their own money so I am not paying for them to do this. I thought that they may follow in my footsteps and they may eventually.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Any advice on how to get a 17 year old daughter active and losing weight? She has put on about 20 pounds in the past year and I am getting worried about her.:noway:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hey this isn't just my thread. Anyone is welcome to jump in.:laugh: Does anyone have any ideas on how to stay active as we age?
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Not quite 60 yet (Sept). But getting the teenagers to eat healthy can be challanging. My granddaughter (15) enjoys helping cook - gets more involved with the good stuff that way. Maybe even visit farmer's markets to select items your youngsters may like to experiment with.

Good luck with that -
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: The farmer's market is a great idea. We have one in our town on Thursdays but I have never been to it. I have asked why they couldn't have it AFTER payday.:laugh: Would you believe that my youngest is in chef's training? She doesn't want to cook for us though.:mad:
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the chef may enjoy an outing to see the beautiful (healthy) farmer's stuff.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Becky, walking is all around good exercise. all you need is good shoes and the proper outerwear. You can do it any time of the day depending on the weather where you live. you can do it alone or with a friend. you can do it for a few minutes or a few hours at a time.

:flowerforyou: I have a pedometer and have been keeping track of how many steps I walk for years. Keeping track encourages me to walk more each day in competition with myself. I have an MP3 music player and earphones so I can listen to favorite music when I walk so the time passes faster.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: I am extra fortunate that I have dogs to walk because when I walk with them I feel that I am getting two things done at once.:laugh:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I didn't go to the YMCA last night. I went home and vegged out instead. I will be going tonight for the deep water class even though I don't feel I am burning enough calories there.

I do walk a lot while at work. My body is so used to this so I really don't think walking is doing a lot of good. I know that if I stopped walking I would see a bad difference, though. I walk about 5 miles a day.
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat , what the best walking shoe that you recommend? What shoe do you wear?
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Barbiecat , what the best walking shoe that you recommend? What shoe do you wear?

I wear Skechers Shape Ups for walking, dancing, and everything else. they make me feel bouncy and I walk faster. They take some time to get used to them and then they are great:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you can't get to a farmer's market... We have a Super Walmart that I shop at that has a fantastic produce dept. You may have one close by you.