Disappointing weigh ins

Options
Here I am 9 months into my transformation 64lbs down but I have only lost 4 lbs since December what is going on? January I started working out usually circuit training. I feel great, look much better. I am down 4 pants sizes (48 then 40 now) now a XL in shirts compared to 3XL. I get so excited about all my accomplishments but then when I weigh in it's like I wanna break down right then. My diet seems to be good I try all natural/fresh food low fat items like chicken, turkey, & fish and eat 4-5 times a day totaling 1800 net calories.

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have hit a plateau! Here's a piece I wrote last week that might help you out.

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The numbers on the scale aren't the single most important thing. You're seeing changes and progress. The body is very complicated and doesn't like to play nice with numbers all the time. Your body is also going through a transformation tranlating fat weight into muscle weight. Give it time, don't sweat the numbers, they'll get to where they need to be in their own sweet time. It doesn't necessarily make it any less frustrating, but you are making excellent progress. Also the closer you get to your goal the slower it goes.
  • AndreaWard
    AndreaWard Posts: 33
    Options
    I have a post in my blog about plateaus. Check it out. I know that it has worked for others. You may just be in a slump at the moment. Keep working at it!! You have been doing so great.
    You also may be gaining a lot of muscle and burning fat so that your body weight is equaling out.
    http://myjourneytolose120pounds.blogspot.com/
  • apoyser
    apoyser Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank you all so much this is kinda what I was thinking was the plateu paired with muscle gain I was in such bad physical condition. I think I'm gonna avoid weigh ins for a bit so I don't feel bad about the numbers
  • ifeelsqueaky
    ifeelsqueaky Posts: 193
    Options
    Maybe it would be best to go with measurements instead/as well? They may be showing a loss even if your weight isn't :smile:
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are smart and figure out what's going on, hence the plateau. Changing what I eat doesn't help me get through mine, but changing HOW I eat does. Have you considered eating more often (like 5 or 6 small meals, if you're not doing that) or zigzagging your calories? Again, this is just for me, but confusing my body food wise seems to help me lose more weight.
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    It might also be worth doing a body fat measurement and start using that as a guide. I'd endorse the whole zig zag method - every 4th day eat more carbs and up you cal intake - will restock your body then go right back to normal calories for 3 days.
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    Have you tried working with your plateau instead of against it? Try eating and exercising to maintain your current weight. Telling your body, "hey, I hear you, you don't want to lose any more weight right now." And just relaxing into it for a month. You'll learn a lot, like what eating to maintain is actually like, and you'll get to enjoy this time instead of being frustrated. Then, when you go back to your reducing plan, your body will be ready to work with you again.

Its an idea. What you don't want to do is to blame yourself and think the problem is that you should be doing *more* (eat cleaner, eat less, workout more hours). No matter which idea you try, this way of of thinking is never a good idea.

And just to dispel a myth...while the muscles you have are undoubtedly becoming stronger, you are probably not gaining measurable poundS of muscle without considerable, conscious effort. Body builders go through crazy regimes and supplementation to put on even a couple of pounds of muscle...the average dumb bell and elliptical machine routine does not account for most of our plateaus.