Vitamins?

Options
What vitamins do you take and do you think they are worth it. I take chewy adut multi, meapause day and night, now I have added iron and biometric. I have leg, ankle, and feet cramps all night long,up most of the night with cramps that wrap around my lower leg. using heating pad, drinking water all day long, and trying to figure out what vitamins are needed. Going to get leg cramping meds. today and if that doesn't work I'm going to have to see a dr.

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I take none. If you eat a well balanced diet you shouldn't need them.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    How is your potassium intake?
  • Joshyusernametaken
    Joshyusernametaken Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Chewy vitamins? Are you in the U.S.? I'd ditch those first of all as they will most likely contain sugar of some refinement. Take a standard multivitamin that is reputable. Like any supplement its all about how well your body can absorb the nutritional value of the product. I'd look at a probiotic to ensure this is happening as a balance of good bacteria in the system will help with nutrient absorption. You may possibly need a glucosamine supplement and most definitely omega 3 (fish oil) - preferably liquid form if you can stomach it. This sounds serious though, have you consulted a physician??
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Leg cramp meds work great after the cramp begins but I got mine to stop by taking vitamin B12. I also take vitamin D and CoQ10. Best of luck.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My favorite is GNC Ultra Mega Active Women's. However, when money is tight, I opt for One Source Women's Multivitamin from walmart ($5 and the closest to what I get from GNC).

Currently taking a gummy vitamin because I sent my husband out to get the vitamins. The gummy one was slightly cheaper than what I typically get and that's why he bought it. I noticed though it lacks iron and other things that are in my normal vitamins.

As for the pain thing, you probably should see a doctor about that. A doctor should be able to run tests to see if it's a particular vitamin your lacking or something more serious.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    1. Definitely see the doctor if cramping is a problem/inhibiting your daily activities.
    2. I take a standard multivitamin and a Vitamin D supplement daily. (I'm indoors a lot; the doctor instructed me to take the Vitamin D, it helps.) I'm not sure if the multivitamin *helps,* but it certainly doesn't hurt.
  • ellybeann43
    ellybeann43 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Id consult your Dr, but leg cramps are signs of many things like dehydration, not stretching enough/properly , low potassium and in my cased under active thyroid. As far as vitamins everybody is different, I prefer prenatal over a multi with a few added like D, potassium, calcium & glucosamine. I prolly over vitiamnaite...if that's a word..haha....Good Luck!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

I think this is easier said than done, especially for woman. I eat a really well balanced diet but my doctor still recommended I take calcium as a woman to guard against osteoporosis. And if I person is trying to lose weight and eating at a deficit (which probably 95 percent of the people on MFP), it's even harder to get all the vitamins one should have from diet alone.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would go see a doctor. Leg cramping that's keeping you up all night sounds scary and not like something you should try to fix with a vitamin. It could be a blood clot or something.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I can't digest multivitamins (even with food) so I have to try to balance my diet and look for drink supplements. B-vitamins and iron are the most difficult for me as I'm vegetarian. I've learned to read labels closely and research my vegetables.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin, calcium/magnesium combo, vit D and potassium. I'm probably on overkill and will stop with the potassium when I run out, my diet is taking care of that now! Vit D because I don't get out enough and am affected by SAD so I reckon worth a go and I just struggle to hit my calcium goal most days.
  • shetripsalot
    shetripsalot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I take Ultra Preventative X from Douglas Labs. A little costly, but the benefits are higher.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I take a boatload, but I have to take them. Without them, I am deficient.

I would never, ever swallow a pill I didn't need.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I only supplement when my diet does have certain things. Fish oil when I don't eat fish(which is rare, it's a daily thing). Calcium and probiotics when I don't have kefir. In general I try to get it through food first.

I use the nutrients tab to see where I am at for the day and supplement from there.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    And I never use drug store brand supplements. Buy the ones from a whole food market or u weight loss. U weight loss vitamins have the highest bio compatibility surprisingly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

I'd have to chug beef liver to get in all the iron I need to treat my anemia.

Having been found to have a vitamin D deficiency, despite eating foods high in D, I also supplement with that.

• inspirezme
    inspirezme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Also look into Magnesium. A little research seems to indicate that 80% of adults are deficient and I've seen a reviews from a multitude of people taking the supplement for muscle cramps with positive results.