Need motivation/late night snacking is killing me :/

Options
I work in an office and so I really don't eat very much during the day however on the down side I am not as active as I would like. I usually eat a decent dinner by 6 p.m. But where I struggle the most is those last four hours before bed :/ sweets seem to call my name!!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Oh I plan for that business. Dinner at 6:30, a little snack around 8, and a whole bag of popcorn at 10. And sleep.
  • Zeefishy
    Zeefishy Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I know that feeling! I would suggest bringing more snacks with you to work. Feed yourself more during the day so that you don't come home and snack at night. I used to be the same way. But I keep healthy snacks at work because I know if I don't, I'll be hitting the cookie dough ice cream hard. Another thought is, if you're having issues with sweets late at night, you might want to think about cutting access to them. If you don't want to end up eating them, don't have them easily accessible or get rid of them altogether.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You can plan ahead to leave yourself some calorie allowance. I eat dinner around 8pm so I try not to eat after that. I only keep dark chocolate in the house, so I have a few squares of that. No other snack options available! I also drink herbal tea instead of snacking. Something warm in my hands to sip on can be helpful. I find that brushing my teeth makes things taste gross and signals to my body that the eating is done for the day. Failing that, I've also gone to bed early - no snacking possible!
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I don't keep anything that I would want to mindlessly snack on in the house. I have food, but nothing that I have a problem just having one serving of. If you are actually hungry, maybe try saving some calories for an after dinner snack or changing your calories to lose at a slower pace so you can eat a little more.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Craving sweets can mean you need more carbs. Do you eat whole grains and fiber-rich foods throughout your day?
  • abigailjoywiebe
    abigailjoywiebe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just tell that food "honey badger don't care!"
  • 9thwardchick
    9thwardchick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you must snack, eat fruit or nuts. If you do something 30 days in a row, it will become habit. Discipline yourself to do it. I am making myself eat a big salad everyday, but Popeyes be calling me. My trick is I buy smaller versions of the things that I crave like chocolate. I find that if I satisfy the craving, I won't binge. Fill up during the day and drink a lot of water.
  • abigailjoywiebe
    abigailjoywiebe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    But in all seriousness, you can beat this!! You're not alone and you don't have to let it rule you! You rule you!!
  • caconnor1
    caconnor1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Filling up on protein really helps beat the sweet tooth. Eat turkey, chicken breast, seafood and other lean proteins for a snack and/or dinner. Not only will it ease the sweets cravings (pretty soon you won't even want them as much!) but it helps build lean muscle mass.
  • jbartkoski
    jbartkoski Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Oh I plan for that business. Dinner at 6:30, a little snack around 8, and a whole bag of popcorn at 10. And sleep.

That sounds like a great plan, what type of snacks do you usually eat?
  • jbartkoski
    Options
    You can plan ahead to leave yourself some calorie allowance. I eat dinner around 8pm so I try not to eat after that. I only keep dark chocolate in the house, so I have a few squares of that. No other snack options available! I also drink herbal tea instead of snacking. Something warm in my hands to sip on can be helpful. I find that brushing my teeth makes things taste gross and signals to my body that the eating is done for the day. Failing that, I've also gone to bed early - no snacking possible!

Those are some great tips!
  • jbartkoski
    Options
    Craving sweets can mean you need more carbs. Do you eat whole grains and fiber-rich foods throughout your day?

Not as much as I would like
  • jbartkoski
    Options
    Just tell that food "honey badger don't care!"

Haha! I will give it a try!
  • jbartkoski
    Options
    But in all seriousness, you can beat this!! You're not alone and you don't have to let it rule you! You rule you!!

Thank you :) very encouraging
  • jbartkoski
    Options
    caconnor1 wrote: »
    Filling up on protein really helps beat the sweet tooth. Eat turkey, chicken breast, seafood and other lean proteins for a snack and/or dinner. Not only will it ease the sweets cravings (pretty soon you won't even want them as much!) but it helps build lean muscle mass.

I am definitely going to try it! Thank you!
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like snacking too. At night I crave comfort foods. Sometimes fruit works. Popcorn is a good choice. I use olive oil instead of butter if you want fat/flavor. A slice of high flavor cheese makes me happy too. Granted I am no where near my goal weight but slow and steady. And if snacking is your normal pattern then embrace it. Good luck.
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been told that I sound sanctimonious but will tell you my trick anyway. Not sure if it would help with the late night snacks, but it helps me stay away from my husband and sons snacks. They are all plastic. I look at them and tell myself that they are fake plastic food, therefore inedible. I grew up in a house with fake fruit on the table, but never any real fruit to eat so I guess I was conditioned that way. It helps immensely while out at restaurants, and in the grocery store. Honestly, the longer I stay away from some of this stuff the worse it tastes when I decide to treat myself. Usually disappointing enough to decide that it's just not worth the calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jbartkoski wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

That sounds like a great plan, what type of snacks do you usually eat?

Greek yogurt with pb2, cucumber and salsa, little bit of chocolate. The popcorn is high volume so the little snack between tends to be less calories/smaller. And my dinner is not very high in calories because I can't just stop eating at dinner. I need to spread about 700 calories throughout the evening.
  • DontJustWishForItWorkForIt
    Options
    I have the same problem!
    So glad you posted this. Lots of good advice on here:)