Binging and Stress Eating

Options
Much like most every human, I pig out when I'm stressed. Working a full time job, the convenience of fast food, and being enrolled in high level honors Chemistry classes have all taken a toll on my diet. Excuses aside, I'd like to reach out and ask you, how, on what, and when do you binge? Also, what are some tips to avoid finishing off the bag of chips?

Add me as a friend of you have issues binging (then working out to burn some of the calories and eventually regretting the whole thing!)

Thanks,
Jess

Replies

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I used to binge when I got really stressed at work but have picked up a loose leaf tea habit which has fit the bill nicely.

My problem since i started logging in MFP is when I go to my parents' house, which is stocked with nothing but snack cakes half the time. That and the fact that I usually just end up sitting down and being on my laptop/kindle when I'm there and old habits come back big time. But I'm getting better at it. Try drinking more water during your binge to try and fill up faster. Make sure you're logging all of it. If you really want that next handful of whatever, eat it but tell yourself "one time will not screw up my progress, i will not give up"
  • jessm11595
    jessm11595 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey DuckReconMajor,

I have the same issue with the snacks at your parents house. I always tell myself "if it's prepackaged, it's not good for you." Anything in a clear little Baggie I try to avoid lol.

I've heard the tea thing from tons of my friends but I binge on sweet and salty. Although water might fill me up faster and I'll have to give it a go next time I am in the mood! I really love your advice about slip ups. I will keep it in mind because I'm totally the person to get frustrated and throw in the towel. Add me if you'd like!

Thanks!
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    lol actually I gravitate more to the individually wrapped snacks now, since it's much easier to scan and log them. But if you are trying to cut some of these foods completely out, maybe learning to eat them in moderation might help. I would find it hard to control myself around those Little Debbie Nutty Bars but I bought a box to keep at my house and eat when it fits in my calorie goals and it's much easier to control myself around them now. Maybe that can work for you. For some people it doesn't but it's worth a try.
  • ciki90
    ciki90 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I go through phases of stress eating, restricting, and binge eating. I can't guarantee that what's worked for me will work for you, but this is what has helped me...

1. I stopped taking my birth control pill. Many women don't realize that taking bc can feign pregnancy symptoms- including increased appetite, which leads to lbs gained. I stopped taking it and use other forms of birth control now, and use natural remedies for pms. After being off bc for a month, I shed 5lbs without changing anything else.
    2. I pre plan my meals. When I have time, I portion out oatmeal + protein powder + egg whites to microwave in the mornings. I batch roast veggies and weigh out portions of chicken. I divide up cooked rice or potatoes and have several meals available to me most of the time. I also cut up fresh veg for salads and have little cups for salad dressing, all packed up and ready to go. It takes the guesswork out of what you're going to eat and reduces stress a ton!
    3. I'm sure you know, drink water all the time! I have a bottle with me all the time.
    4. When you're planning your meals, make smaller portions and eat more often. It takes some getting used to, but having 4-5 meals helps me. You may be hungrier at first because your body is used to bigger portions. I promise you that your stomach will shrink and you'll get accustomed to smaller meals. It takes time!
    5. Before you binge, you really have to stop and think. You don't have to tell yourself "no" but just think of the consequences. Eating a bigger meal than necessary will not feel good later. You'll feel sick, you'll get tired, you're stressing your digestive system and causing more stress in your body overall. You'll stretch your stomach which will cause more intense hunger for days following. If you have your meals planned, just eat one..take it somewhere that you may not have easy access to food- at the park, in your backyard, in your car even. Just be away from all of the easy, tempting binge foods or available snacks.
    6. You can't eat it if it's not there! Make a grocery list and stick to it. Bring cash to the store that only allows enough for what you need. If you're craving sometbing, go out and get one and be done. It's harder on your wallet but easier on your waistline.
    7. You *must* want to be done binge eating and want a healthier relationship with food MORE THAN your desire to comfort yourself with food. The faster you can recognize your health goals outweigh your cravings, the easier this will be. You have to want it!

I hope this helps. If you'd like to discuss it more you can message me. I'm here to help, and I know we don't know each other but I'm here for you. I know it seems hard but forming healthy habits are going to make you so much happier and it will get easier. You can do this, focus!! :)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    ciki90 wrote: »
    I go through phases of stress eating, restricting, and binge eating. I can't guarantee that what's worked for me will work for you, but this is what has helped me...

1. I stopped taking my birth control pill. Many women don't realize that taking bc can feign pregnancy symptoms- including increased appetite, which leads to lbs gained. I stopped taking it and use other forms of birth control now, and use natural remedies for pms. After being off bc for a month, I shed 5lbs without changing anything else.
    2. I pre plan my meals. When I have time, I portion out oatmeal + protein powder + egg whites to microwave in the mornings. I batch roast veggies and weigh out portions of chicken. I divide up cooked rice or potatoes and have several meals available to me most of the time. I also cut up fresh veg for salads and have little cups for salad dressing, all packed up and ready to go. It takes the guesswork out of what you're going to eat and reduces stress a ton!
    3. I'm sure you know, drink water all the time! I have a bottle with me all the time.
    4. When you're planning your meals, make smaller portions and eat more often. It takes some getting used to, but having 4-5 meals helps me. You may be hungrier at first because your body is used to bigger portions. I promise you that your stomach will shrink and you'll get accustomed to smaller meals. It takes time!
    5. Before you binge, you really have to stop and think. You don't have to tell yourself "no" but just think of the consequences. Eating a bigger meal than necessary will not feel good later. You'll feel sick, you'll get tired, you're stressing your digestive system and causing more stress in your body overall. You'll stretch your stomach which will cause more intense hunger for days following. If you have your meals planned, just eat one..take it somewhere that you may not have easy access to food- at the park, in your backyard, in your car even. Just be away from all of the easy, tempting binge foods or available snacks.
    6. You can't eat it if it's not there! Make a grocery list and stick to it. Bring cash to the store that only allows enough for what you need. If you're craving sometbing, go out and get one and be done. It's harder on your wallet but easier on your waistline.
    7. You *must* want to be done binge eating and want a healthier relationship with food MORE THAN your desire to comfort yourself with food. The faster you can recognize your health goals outweigh your cravings, the easier this will be. You have to want it!

I hope this helps. If you'd like to discuss it more you can message me. I'm here to help, and I know we don't know each other but I'm here for you. I know it seems hard but forming healthy habits are going to make you so much happier and it will get easier. You can do this, focus!! :)

This is great advice.

If I feel the wave of bingeing headed my way, I really question what is driving me. How am I hoping to feel as a result of the binge? Calm, relaxed, satisfied, less bored? I really question myself and then try and achieve the same feeling with a non-food source like doing intense exercise, or a light stroll. I do find myself snacking when I'm very tired in the evening, so now I just go to bed.

I'm also finding that "Don't eat your emotions" is a phrase that helps me put the urge into perspective, and understanding that it's just biochemistry driving my brain to fulfill some need through food. Oh and ditch any guilt - it doesn't help and makes no difference in the end.

• briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater. It has been really hard to stay consistent. As I gain water weight I binge. I am now trying to get myself back on track. I went two years without binge eating and then I had my fifth child. Lost down to 183 pounds and got stuck at that weight and I binged and starved and gained. Little did I know that it wasn't my eating that was gaining my weight but internal problems. I got more and more depressed and then went to see a doctor, got on some natural anti-inflammatory, and now I am fighting to get the "BED" under control again. I am back up to 244 and 1. I put away the scale so that I don't eat out of frustration 2. I drink more water 3. I get more sleep 4. I setup a rewards system and once a month I go do something as a reward. Go Shopping, PEdi-Medi, Get my hair done, but only if I reach my goals. I set aside some money only if I reach my goals for the week.
  • 33Chief
    33Chief Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I try and log before I actually eat what I am going to eat. It helps a lil.
  • jessm11595
    Options
    Thanks guys!! So many awesome suggestions. Add me so we can do this thing together!! :)
  • rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible shift at work recently. Came home so upset! I ate so many cherries I lost count. Helped my elimination system and did not gain an ounce. It was just the feeling of wanting to put something in my mouth over and over again, since the item was not calorie dense it didn't seem to make any difference. Have fruits (berries or cherries) available, just a suggestion.
  • caconnor1
    caconnor1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, coming from someone who just stopped binge eating on sweet/salty junk 2 weeks ago. Log everything you eat and make your diary public to all your MFP friends (get more if you don't have many). You are obviously open about your binging, which is positive, so try tracking it. That is the first place to start - really putting the problem in writing - before you will be ready to make changes. I got tired of logging the Chips and Candies and that's when I made changes. Hope this helps! replacing your binge habit with other positive habits can help as well (working out, calling a friend, journaling)
  • peteharris85
    peteharris85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ciki90 wrote: »

Great advice!
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    In addition to the advice other people have given (which has been great), I like to tell myself "If hunger isn't my problem, then food isn't my answer." :)
  • jessm11595
    Options
    In addition to the advice other people have given (which has been great), I like to tell myself "If hunger isn't my problem, then food isn't my answer." :)

LOVE THIS
  • MDanca
    MDanca Posts: 27 Member
    Options

This is so simple, yet an incredibly powerful message. If I stop to think about what is causing me to binge, the feeling often does away. I want to print this out and hang it over my desk!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I think pigging out when stressed is pretty normal for most of us. I don't think its really avoidable if you are inclined this way.

My solutions are about damage minimisation. Make sure you eat healthy food as much as you can so that its not hunger that triggers a binge and keep yourself fuelled up with nutrients so that you don't get run down. Second, if you can try to choose better foods to pig out on if at all possible. Otherwise, resolve your stress as soon as you are able and then lose whatever extra weight you've gained during the stress period.

Make sure you get enough sleep every night. Limit coffee. Avoid cigarettes and don't drink too much alcohol.

Make sure you manage your time well so that you are not spending too much time, just wasting time if you know what i mean. Be focussed to get the job done with as little stress as possible.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I find better ways to manage stress to avoid using food. Breathing exercises really help me.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    All this advice is very inspiring to me. Thanks for posting this topic.

I don't think I'm a true binge eater in the clinical eating disorder way, but I give in to cravings all too often and it completely derails my progress. Every. Time. I typically go for candy, but sometimes those peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets and, in season, Cadbury Creme Eggs (but never ever those nasty Peeps.) I don't keep any of these things in my house, but when sufficiently motivated by cravings, I can always seem to get a hold of them.

These tips and techniques given by other posters are all good advice, but since this is more than a once in a while problem for me, I think it is also necessary to figure out what's causing it and take steps to solve the underlying problems, not just cope with them. My cravings are always linked to feelings of dispair. Dispair just shouldn't be my default setting. I haven't yet solved the case, but I'm working from the hypothesis that insomnia is the culprit.

So...to the OP: Yes, by all means try out the advice given by the others, but also consider whether something else, such as a hectic, over scheduled life, has anything to do with your bingeing and whether (or if) you want to adjust something.
  • cwkwkw2
    cwkwkw2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Great comment. Emotional eating is tough...it is because I don't want to deal with the emotion that I look for a distraction in the first place. So...hunger is not the problem.
  • jessm11595
    Options
    All this advice is very inspiring to me. Thanks for posting this topic.

I don't think I'm a true binge eater in the clinical eating disorder way, but I give in to cravings all too often and it completely derails my progress. Every. Time. I typically go for candy, but sometimes those peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets and, in season, Cadbury Creme Eggs (but never ever those nasty Peeps.) I don't keep any of these things in my house, but when sufficiently motivated by cravings, I can always seem to get a hold of them.

These tips and techniques given by other posters are all good advice, but since this is more than a once in a while problem for me, I think it is also necessary to figure out what's causing it and take steps to solve the underlying problems, not just cope with them. My cravings are always linked to feelings of dispair. Dispair just shouldn't be my default setting. I haven't yet solved the case, but I'm working from the hypothesis that insomnia is the culprit.

So...to the OP: Yes, by all means try out the advice given by the others, but also consider whether something else, such as a hectic, over scheduled life, has anything to do with your bingeing and whether (or if) you want to adjust something.

Thanks so much for your input! Love it :)

• jessidarklighter
    jessidarklighter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have binged a couple of times this week, so I'm not exactly great at it either, but I will tell you some things that have stopped me when I've thought about bingeing...
    I just spent 3 weeks on an extremely low calorie count. Nevermind most of the consequences of this, the one that most bothers me is that my stomach seems to have shrank. If I eat more than 4-500 calories in one sitting, my belly swells up and I'm in pain for hours! So I stop and talk to myself. "I know you're upset right now, but is a few minutes of feeling better really worth the pain later?"
    Another thing that helps is sauteeing veggies in soy sauce. You can eat a ton of veggies, satisfying that "I want something in my mouth" craving. And the soy sauce really helps the salt craving and does a lot for giving some taste to otherwise tasteless veggies.
    Hope this helps. I will send you a friend request.