Vegetarian or Not?

Options
Albert Einstein was quoted as saying that if all people were vegetarians then the world would be a better place (or something along those lines). I love my veggies etc but what do you substitute for meat? I've tried Quorn before and wasn't impressed at all! What would you recommend that doesn't go along the pre-packed mass produced stuff.
Also, what constitutes being a vegetarian? A freind claims to be a "Veggie" but eats eggs and occassionally chicken, another eats fish? Can you be a selective vegetarian, in which case, what's the difference between me and them?
Love to know your thoughts.:smile:

Replies

• thisishowwepray
    Options
    Vegan = no animal products (eggs, dairy) and no meat.

Vegetarian = no meat (eggs and dairy are included in the diet).

Even eating vegetarian a little bit more than you do now has a positive impact on the environment, and probably on your body, too.

Vegan proteins include beans, soy, nuts and nut butters.

Vegetarian proteins include the vegan proteins listed above, as well as dairy and eggs.
  • mosaix
    mosaix Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan, then vegetarian - I ate a lot of stirfries, veggie burgers, veggie curries etc, I'm not a massive fan of quorn & only used Asda's meat free mince if I fancied something like cottage pie etc. Linda McCartney's sausages are nice too. To be honest, it's a case of trial & error, I realised I much prefered the supermarke brands of most things ( except fake bacon - it's horrific!!) than I did Quorn/other expensive veggie recipies.

I also experiemented with various veggie recipes I found online.

If you eat fish, you're not vegetarian, you're pescatarian, and if you eat meat, even if it's rarely, you're not veggie.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't really have meat substitutes, though will occasionally cook something with quorn mince (though lentils do just as well in shepherd's pie). I tend to cook things that don't have meat in the the first place, like vegetable curries, most Italian food - pizza, pasta, risotto (though I don't eat wheat, but the rest of my family do), bean stews, lots of salads and soups, wraps. For protein I eat a lot of cheese, yoghurt and pulses, though I get a lot less protein than most people on here seem to. I am not a great believer in overdoing it, it has never done me any harm getting the WHO recommended amount, rather than the American fitness industry (who want to sell you protein shakes) recommended amount. Sushi is another good vegetarian option. I make cucumber, avocado, tamago (egg) and umiboshi (pickled plum) sushi. Stir fries with either just vegetables or with nuts or tofu. Baked potatoes with fillings such as creamed mushrooms. Souffles, omelettes, quiches, pies, tarts. I have hundreds of vegetarian recipes where you don't miss the meat, because they were never designed to have meat in in the first place.
  • samntim
    samntim Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those half and half selective vegetarians...

I eat chicken - but only if it in no way resembles chicken (no bone anywhere in sight!), then it's just nameless white protein! I know, pretty lame!

For protein I eat baked beans, eggs, milk, cheese, yoghurt to name a few...

Labels are tricky because it's sometimes very hard to fit perfectly into that box.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options

Even eating vegetarian a little bit more than you do now has a positive impact on the environment, and probably on your body, too.

Vegan proteins include beans, soy, nuts and nut butters.

Vegetarian proteins include the vegan proteins listed above, as well as dairy and eggs.

and I will break that down further

lacto-ovo vegetarian - will eat dairy and eggs but no animal flesh
    pescetarian - will eat fish
    not sure for the chicken thing - I think once your at chicken you are just simply someone who avoids red meat/pork

remember rice and beans together is a complete protein- why not try to make a few vegetarian recipes and see what you like, increasing your ratio of vegetarian dishes to non-vegetarian dishes slowly until you find the balance that's right for you?

good luck!
  • Delilah94
    Delilah94 Posts: 3
    Options
    Well I've been vegetarian for about a year and a half and generally I just up my intake of protein from soya, nuts, lentils and other such foods. SOME of the Quorn products are okay; the 'chicken' burgers are actually quite nice and Linda McCartney is also a good choice. Once you've become veggie you'll see it's really not that hard and I think you really do feel better for it! Just be careful of an overly-sensitive sweet tooth which can oocur, as I found!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    There's different kinds of veg, some eat fish, and all eat eggs and dairy. Vegans don't do any animal derived product, like eggs and dairy, even things like wearing leather.
    As far as subs, there are prepackaged subs that are supposed to imitate meat, but I've found a lot of them to be either dry, high sodium, expensive, and just not worth it. They don't taste like meat, let's be honest. There are natural high protein things though. Ergo Tempeh, edamame, seitan (high sodium), and you obviously know of tofu. I'm not a fan of it though.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I eat chicken - but only if it in no way resembles chicken (no bone anywhere in sight!), then it's just nameless white protein! I know, pretty lame!

I don't think that's lame. But perhaps that's because I'm the same way. I cannot eat any meat that looks like the animal. That's why I absolutely cannot eat fish or other aquatic meats because they are identical to the actual animal. *cringes* My boyfriend once made a cornish hen for dinner and I ate a few bites and then got really nauseous. It only dawned on me later that the reason I was feeling so sick was because the actual hen was sitting on the table in front of me. That was it for me.
  • dan76n
    dan76n Posts: 23
    Options
    Vegetarians dont eat any animal at all, this includes fish, chicken, prawns, oysters and gelatin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin
    My wife is a vegetarian.
    I Dont eat any Chicken or Pork but occasionally eat beef and Fish. Im not a Vegetarian.
    My wife also uses soy milk instead of cow milk.
    Im lucky in that I really like Soy milk so If I ever run out of my skim milk I have Soy available.
    I call it Soy Juice to stir her up a little as its not really milk now is it.

I also love all the Vegetarian meals she cooks and am happy to eat any of the Vegge patties she buy's.

I dont think I could handle being Vegan as I love my ice cream and milk but I could handle being Vegitarian if I had to.

I actually believe becoming a vegetarian is one of the best ways to loose weight if you struggle with temptations as you eliminate a lot of crap food that is available.
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on how "hard-core" you want to be about it. I mean technically, anything made with gelatin, calcium suppliments, worchestershire sauce etc can all be detrived from animal so depending on your stance that could change what you want to eat.
    I agree with most people on here tho, lots of legumes, nuts and dairy (if you are a lact-y). SO not a tofu fan... I do really like vegitable patties and tend to head a lot of chick-pea products (hummus, falafel).
    Oh and just to add to the CRAZY demensions of vegitarianism
    Fruitatarians (i think that's how you spell it) won't eat anythign that kills the plant. This gets more complicated when you think that there are some that will eat it if it doesn't kill anything - so yes you could be a lacto-fruitatarian.
    And I don't know if this is the term still used for the poultry thing but demi-veg or semi-veg are terms often used for that.

Interstestingly, religion often plays a role in what is defined as vegitarian. The RC church declared fish as not being an animal, so it's not considered to be a "meat" by them (where shell fish fall in that, I have no clue). Others stated lamb was not a meat, while others don't eat certain animals due to their reveared nature (think cows) or them being considered "dirty" animals (think pigs)

Oh and last thought... scientist say that on average humans consume approx 8 spiders in their sleep every year... (they are VERY tiny bimmo spiders... and bed mites actually also fall into the arachnid category) they ARE living and they WERE consummed... so does that mean that bugs are fair game?! ;) KIDDING!
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I actually believe becoming a vegetarian is one of the best ways to loose weight if you struggle with temptations as you eliminate a lot of crap food that is available.

This is only true if people don't substitute refined carbs for the lack of protien... somethign MANY people do when making the switch (think pasta and rice heavy dishes EVERY meal)
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am a vegetarian 8-9 years now and i will never go back to eating meat. I love it.
    I suppose the you have to ask yourself why you want to become a vegetarian? For me it was about animal cruelty. I know some people do it for health/religion or a bit of both. A vegetarian is someone who does not eat any animals this includes fish/chicken etc.
    A person who eats fish is a pescetarian not a vegetarian - i think this is the most common mistake made. The amount of times i have said i am a vegetarian and have had a meal with fish given to me.
    Anyone who eats any type of meat even if it is not very often are not vegetarians.
    It comes down to what suits you. I know vegetarians that give meat eaters a hard times and same goes for meat eaters. Do what you think is best for you :smile:
    There is loads of sites with recipes. Remember every vegetarian once thought they could not go without meat.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I test drove being vegetarian for a month or so? It was a while ago. I didn't really miss beef or pork, but I missed the HELL outta chicken! I kept eating and eating and EATING EGGS! Haha. I managed to not slip up, but I really don't know or didn't try long enough to live without chicken in my life. :)
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am mostly vegetarian with fish a couple times a week. So I am pescetarian. However, I do eat the occasional meat. The only reason I am pescetarian is because I feel better with the lifestyle. So I say just pick what works for you. You don't have to label yourself.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    A pescetarian is someone who eats fish.

I don’t feel it is politically correct or factual for that matter if you call yourself a vegetarian but yet you eat fish. It had parents, it once breathed air, ate and bred. Is it because it may have a less developed brain than a mammal? I’m not sure, I’d have to research that more.

That being said, I eat meat, I just believe if you want to define yourself with a word you better understand what that word means, all definitions.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    The question is why, why do you want to be a vegetarian?
  • wendycheng
    wendycheng Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."

I have been a vegetarian for 8 years. 4 years I was Ovo-lacto then for the most recent 4 years I have been Pescatarian. There area bunch of different types of vegetarians and vegans.
  • wendycheng
    wendycheng Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A pescetarian is someone who eats fish.

I don’t feel it is politically correct or factual for that matter if you call yourself a vegetarian but yet you eat fish. It had parents, it once breathed air, ate and bred. Is it because it may have a less developed brain than a mammal? I’m not sure, I’d have to research that more.

That being said, I eat meat, I just believe if you want to define yourself with a word you better understand what that word means, all definitions.

By definition, there are several types of vegetarians in our society. People are not only vegetarians for political reasons so to define vegetarianism by the "having parents" is incorrect. Some simply do not like the taste of certain meats or cannot digest them. It is also much simpler to tell your host that you are a vegetarian than to complicate the situation with an extensive explanation.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've been some form of vegetarian or vegan for most of my life. After being veg for so long I can tell you that there are a whole lot of "vegetarians" out there who are actually just MOSTLY vegetarians. And you know what? That's OK!! Eating a mostly veg diet is still better than eating meat at every meal in my opinion. Whether one chooses to use the "vegetarian" label or not has more to do with their IDEALS than their actual habits. A similar example might be if you call yourself a Christian and believe that as a Christian you must go to church twice a week. If you don't always live up to that and miss church for a couple of weeks, do you stop calling yourself Christian? Most people wouldn't because their beliefs and ideals didn't changed, they just "fell off the wagon" for a bit.

I use labels when I'm talking to other people about how I eat or have eaten in the past because it's easier for them to understand, but I've given up using labels for myself. I just try to eat the best foods that are available to me at that time and don't stress anymore about whether I'm still a vegetarian or not. I honestly don't think that most meat substitutes fall into the "best foods available" category though. They're ok once in a while, but many of them are highly processed. If they aren't made with whole grains, veggies, etc. then I don't usually eat them. I used to eat more of them, but realized that just because they were veg didn't mean they were any better for me than other processed foods. Lentils are one of my favorite "meat substitutes". They're much better for you, and better tasting, than most vegetarian burgers. As a general rule, I have found that most vegan cookbooks tend to have better ingredients and rely less on fake meat substitutes than a lot of vegetarian cookbooks. Unless a vegetarian cookbook specifically says it uses whole foods, I usually pass it by.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

That's how I define it. I don't care if you are lacto-ovo, pescatarian, etc. The labels get kind of annoying. If you eat fish, you are NOT a vegetarian. Not sure why some people think they can call themselves vegetarian just because they don't eat beef or chicken. Fish have faces, they are an animal too.