Worries about losing weight!

Options
I currently gave birth to my first child: Was heavy before pregnancy but still trying to lose weight. After having her I actually lost weight...60 pounds! Who would have thought pregnancy was a great weight loss plan? However I am still 150 lbs over weight according to the doctors. My biggest fear is if I lose that much weight that my body would look gross from the extra skin. What are some ways that you all have toned your skin up WITHOUT surgery? Has anyone lost this much weight and still had a body/skin that looks great? Or is this just a side effect/something that I just have to deal with from being over weight?

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I don't speak from experience, but as far as I am aware skin loses its elasticity at some point. Just like a rubber band that won't go back to its original form. So perhaps some skin will still be able to move back. Perhaps you can also fill out some of that skin by growing your muscles.
    There are however no exercises that reduce excess skin. If it is really bad surgery might be your only option.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    This is the tough love category here- I don't mean to be offensive or hurtful but, honestly, extra skin is just a cosmetic concern. 150 lbs of excess weight is something that could really shorten your life and impact your time and energy with your kids. I'd pick extra skin over health problems any day. I was 225 with my first pregnancy and am now 75 lbs less than that. I have extra, stretchmarked skin. I feel SO much better, I can play and keep up with my kids, my joints don't ache all the time... It's worth it. :) Best of luck to you!
  • AdelaDi
    AdelaDi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't speak from experience either, but from what I know, if you lose weight gradually (say, 1-3lb/week), the skin being elastic, will just shrink back to accommodate for the new body size. When I hear of problems with loose skin, they are usually caused by the fact that the person lost a lot of weight very quickly, think crash diets & no exercise, and the skin hadn't yet had time to adjust.
    But in any case, even if you lose in total 150lb, you will lose them 1lb at a time - so you can see how your body changes at all times, and you can adapt your weight loss strategy and goals based on how you feel. Good luck!
  • daizyk70
    daizyk70 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It also depends on genetics, some people just have skin that will bounce back and some don't. I had a tummy tuck to remove about 20 pounds of excess skin off my stomach (I had a very big stomach.) When I get to my goal weight, I will consider having my arms and legs done.
  • Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I have 140lbs to lose and I know I'll be healthier but the extra skin idea freaks me out. I've been told that if you lose the weight slowly it won't be as bad and with weight training you can tone a lot of it up.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 pounds, have another 40 to my goal weight...I will definitely have extra skin, but I'd rather be thin and fit and so much healthier but with extra skin than where i was months ago.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    It depends on a number of factors including: how long you have been overweight; how old you are; how fast or slow you lose weight; and the big one - GENETICS.

You can mitigate loose skin a little bit by losing slowing, lifting weights to maintain muscle mass underneath the skin and taking care of your skin (moisturizers, etc.). Also, your skin will continue to tighten up for about 2 years after weight loss, so you won't know the full effects until much later. However, how much loose skin you have in the end is largely determined by your genetics.

All of that being said, being a healthy weight with loose skin is still the FAR better option than being overweight, wouldn't you agree?

I've lost 95 pounds over 3 1/2 years so I have the slow loss going for me. However, I have been overweight my entire life and I am no longer in my 20's (in fact, not even close). ;-) I also apparently don't have good genes going for me. I have a lot of loose skin on my belly, upper arms, elbows and thighs. While I don't particularly like to looks of it, I wouldn't trade my new, healthier body for tight skin ever! I still have 23 pounds to go, so we'll see where I am in the end, but I don't expect my skin to tighten up as much as I would like it to. I feel incredible though. The benefits of my weight loss completely and totally outweigh the look of the loose skin. Besides that, only my husband and I see the loose skin and he's been with me since my heaviest and this is definitely an improvement!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ohwhynot wrote: »
    This is the tough love category here- I don't mean to be offensive or hurtful but, honestly, extra skin is just a cosmetic concern. 150 lbs of excess weight is something that could really shorten your life and impact your time and energy with your kids. I'd pick extra skin over health problems any day. I was 225 with my first pregnancy and am now 75 lbs less than that. I have extra, stretchmarked skin. I feel SO much better, I can play and keep up with my kids, my joints don't ache all the time... It's worth it. :) Best of luck to you!

^^^ this.

What's better? Some skin? Or dying young(er) and/or not being able to enjoy life with your family to the fullest?
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It depends on a number of factors - genetics, your age, how overweight you are/were, how long you were overweight (how long the skin was stretched). But as the others said, it is better to have extra/loose skin then the health issues that come with being morbidly obese.

I have loose skin, and come into this journey 64 lbs ago expecting that. I have had 3 pregnancies and 3 c-sections, with lots of stretch marks and scars from those pregnancies. So as soon as I began trying to lose weight, I began saving money for a potential tummy tuck. When I reach goal, if I have lots of loose skin, I have the option to consider surgery. If I don't need the tummy tuck after all, bonus, that saved money can be spent on a brand new wardrobe or a trip somewhere.
  • jenspears31
    jenspears31 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was 260lbs after having 2 kids 13 months apart...I am now 176lbs and still losing...diet is 80% and exercise is 20% ..if you need some advice please message me I'll help you out!
  • karissasue
    karissasue Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes, I totally agree that being healthy is far better than worrying about extra skin. I will continue to loose weight the right way, I was just wondering if there was a way to help minimize the extra skin. You all have been most helpful and a great encouragment!!!
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Strength training. I've also heard that moisturizer, and remaining well hydrated helps. I also heard someone mention dry brushing, but i've never tried it so not sure how valid that is.