which scales to use? different weights on two.

Options
I weighed myself on the electronic scales and was so peeved off i weigh 13 stone 10 pounds! Weighed myself on the basic scales on the same spot and it said 13 stone 4 pounds.
What scales do you use and recommend i should do regarding mine?

Replies

• amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is to see if the scale is calibrated properly. Take something that you know what the exact weight is, place it on both scales and see which is more accurate.
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks =)
  • wfarrens
    wfarrens Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just use the same scale every time. The exact number doesn't matter, just the overall trend between weighings. If the one with the lower reading makes you feel better, use that one!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    wfarrens wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just use the same scale every time. The exact number doesn't matter, just the overall trend between weighings. If the one with the lower reading makes you feel better, use that one!

2nd.

• pineapple_pizza
    pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yep, agreed with the above. Calibrate, but precision on a scale is more important than accuracy overall for weight loss.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    wfarrens wrote: »

2nd.
    3rd
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Pick one scale, doesn't matter which one, give it away or throw it away. Use the remaining scale to track your progress and don't fret the numbers.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the above posters. The inaccurate scale(s) could just be throwing numbers, not just defaulting to being 6 lbs high (or low). You have no way of knowing if one is consistently giving you the incorrect weight. It could be prematurely locking on your weight- like when you're shifting your weight.

Get a 10 lb plate or dumbbell or a 5 lb bag of sugar or something else with a known weight and weigh it on both. A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs (plus packaging, which isn't going to weigh a full extra lb). 1 litre of water weighs about 1 kg (give or take packaging).

Make sure you're using the scales on a level, flat, hard surface.
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one.