I cant even jog 3 miles what a joke

Options

Replies

• AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    It took me a few months to get up to two miles, then I had to stop and now I'm back to less than a mile. Don't shame yourself for where you're at now, just get out there and run.

thank you and best of luck to you
  • Double__Tapp
    Double__Tapp Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I first started getting back into shape/running I couldn't run a mile without stopping, so I started walking on the treadmill on an incline. I started out at 3.0 mph on a 5 incline and every 5 minutes I would go up by one. I did that for 30 minutes, then when that became easy, I started out at 3.5 on a 10 incline and walked for 60 minutes. After a month or so I felt like I could run, so I gave it a shot, not only did a run a mile, I ran 5 miles non stop in 60 minutes. Just a thought, it may help, it may not, but it did for me.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Running was definitely a huge challenge for me, but don't expect to be so well right off the bat! It took me about 4 weeks to run comfortably for 3 miles. Hard to say, but enjoy the process and think of how far you've come! Most people aren't putting the effort you've put in so far.

thank you I really appreicate the nice words
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    If you already had the ability to jog three miles without pause, it's likely that your boxing coach wouldn't have felt the pressing need to send you out to improve your stamina.

This.

Record the time you did 3 miles in, in a few weeks you'll be able to do it quicker!

iv done that today it took me 52 minutes to do 3 miles so next time I know

I'd look at C25k
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    runfreer wrote: »
    Just going out and running 3 miles is not wise. Even if you can get through the miles, as a beginner, the toll on your body is too great. Your cardiovascular system adapts much faster than your musculoskeletal system. If you don't build up slowly, you are at risk for minor injuries such as shin splints or even major injuries like fractures.

Running is a LOT of pounding on the body. Our bodies can take it, but we must build a solid base or risk getting injured.

I jog then when I feel pain or anything I slow down understanding good pain and bad pain
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    When I first started getting back into shape/running I couldn't run a mile without stopping, so I started walking on the treadmill on an incline. I started out at 3.0 mph on a 5 incline and every 5 minutes I would go up by one. I did that for 30 minutes, then when that became easy, I started out at 3.5 on a 10 incline and walked for 60 minutes. After a month or so I felt like I could run, so I gave it a shot, not only did a run a mile, I ran 5 miles non stop in 60 minutes. Just a thought, it may help, it may not, but it did for me.

I find incline hurts my knees esp on a treadmil
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I used a C25k program as well. The first run, I nearly died after only half a mile. It took me about 4 or 5 weeks to get up to being able to keep it going for a full 3 miles. You did a lot better than I did when I started, and i now regularly run 10k races and the occasional 10+ mile mud run. If you stick to a good program, you'll get there.
  • jhdawson83
    jhdawson83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Check out "C25K" It is a program to train you to run a 5K, which is a little over 3 miles. You can get an app to help you as you do the intervals. I just finished "week 2-day 2" yesterday and did 3 miles in about 30 minutes mixing jogging and walking. You should really google C25K, there is a group around here you can join with other people doing the program.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    A lot of people can't jog 3 miles...I know I can't! Most of the programs you see use intervals to build up to a distance like that...run 1 minute, walk 2...run 3 minutes walk 2...it get's progressively harder. It's not something people can usually do out of the gate, so I wouldn't worry about it at all! It takes time :smile:
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »
    I used a C25k program as well. The first run, I nearly died after only half a mile. It took me about 4 or 5 weeks to get up to being able to keep it going for a full 3 miles. You did a lot better than I did when I started, and i now regularly run 10k races and the occasional 10+ mile mud run. If you stick to a good program, you'll get there.

I can only wish to do 10 kg lol that is a achievement thank you I can hope I will try the program and see thanks
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I went jogging today twice this week. the first time I was really self consious today it was better I jogged more than the last time. I could barely jog 3 miles I had to keep stopping but I did not stop I walked.
    How long did it take you to jog 3 miles it feels like forever. I am doing this for boxing my coach told me to jog to get my stamina

Took me about a month IIRC, but I had some cardio conditioning from other activities like biking so a lot of it was learning what speed I could sustain and improving the needed muscles.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k (which is just over 3 miles) last Sept. It was a colour run and really busy, so we had to walk some of it. After that I did a few 5k jogs with a friend, and it took me about 3 attempts before I could jog the entire way without stopping.

I did a 5K race last month and it took me 37 minutes, and I did stop and walk little bits of it. It was at 7pm and I'd been up since 5:30am and been at work all day, so I wasn't at my best.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    walk and do a jog walk alternate you will get it no problem.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    runfreer wrote: »
    Just going out and running 3 miles is not wise. Even if you can get through the miles, as a beginner, the toll on your body is too great. Your cardiovascular system adapts much faster than your musculoskeletal system. If you don't build up slowly, you are at risk for minor injuries such as shin splints or even major injuries like fractures.

Running is a LOT of pounding on the body. Our bodies can take it, but we must build a solid base or risk getting injured.

I jog then when I feel pain or anything I slow down understanding good pain and bad pain

I think a more structured approach would be better mate. Something like this would help get your conditioning up in six weeks:

Six Week Plan
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I can only manage 1.5 miles currently. Im not a joke i just have had to start from a very poor place since i could barely walk with aids 18 months ago

We all have to start somewhere and it will take us all a different amount of time to get to where we want to be but we will all get there so much faster than those who remain on their sofa
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. There are different types of fitness. Take it slow and build a good foundation and you will achieve your goal.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    thank you everyone I never knew such good people were on this site thanks
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone I never knew such good people were on this site thanks

Maybe you can't run 3 miles right now, but I'd bet a lot of people couldn't jump rope for those intervals that you do. I know I couldn't!

Does your boxing coach know about the knee pain when using the treadmill? Running may bother your knees, too, so have you thought about swimming to increase your endurance? Just a thought.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i cant jog 20 feet LOLOLOL

im not a jogger/runner ;)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Many of us couldn't jog a block when we firs started, myself included. Running distances usually isn't something you can just do right out the gate, you have to build up.