Hitting your macros

Options
how important is it to hit all your macros 100% every day? Are there ones that are more important that others? I try to get as close as I can but its not always easy. I've got 38 pounds to lose so I'm focusing for weight loss

Replies

• HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It's pretty important to me because it does make a big difference. My most important one is fat intake. Pre-pregnancy, I was super fit and I contribute a lot of that to hitting my macros spot on everyday.
  • paige_pal
    paige_pal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Very important! I try and keep the same ratio for all my meals, depending on what my macros are. Don't count calories. Count macros! Much less stressful and easier :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I aim to hit my fat and protein macros, then let carbs fall wherever.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm most often under on carbs because the other two are more important to me overall.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I got rid of salt as I read the scares for those without specific health concerns were over hyped and replaced it with fiber, which has a direct influence on my well-being due to my stomach issues. I don't panic about each meal but I do have an eye on being over on protein and fats each day, which normally means I am then under on sugar and carbs as an accidental side effect.

Calories matter most though and if I need a day of Macdonalds or a solid day of carbs, I will do it, no regrets. Staying under matters most to me.
  • pineapple_pizza
    pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I aim to hit my fat and protein macros, then let carbs fall wherever.

Same. I would say protein and fat are more of a priority. Meeting your protein goal is important for maintaining muscle mass while you lose weight! Fat is important for brain health. Carbs are important too, but they are just so much easier to fill up on that you will probably have less trouble meeting those goals. As for hitting each 100% daily, aim for it, but it's your overall effort over time that matters.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For me, 0%

I tried eating to make the numbers work out, but it was too big of a pain in the butt. I just cannot eat to numbers.

I keep an eye on my micros, learning what I am generally low on and make an effort to get those things into my diet on a more regular basis.

Daily macros are going to just fall where they fall.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    I don't watch them to the T, but I do watch them enough to know I'm getting a balanced diet. If I ate nothing but carbs, I would be hungry all the time. If I ate nothing but fat all the time, I'd feel, well, fat and greasy. Nothing but protein would make me gassy.
  • GeddesFit
    GeddesFit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I try to aim for my protein goals. I'm unsure if I should have a shake or bar on non gym days but I guess it couldn't hurt. I'm currently hitting the gym 4 times a week and will be upping that amount once the colder months get here. Which for Canada is in 2 months lol
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    hitting exact, not really important. striving for and getting close can, and should, be important, depending on your goals
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I think it's moderately important, but it all depends on your goals. If we're just talking weight loss, it doesn't matter much at all. If you're lifting and we're talking about body composition, then it matters a lot more. Is it necessary to hit your macros exactly on point every single day? Nah. I try to be within 5 grams of each one. If I'm over in protein, I try to be the same amount under in carbs. If I'm over in fat, I'll keep my carbs and/or protein a little lower that day. As long as the calories add up. It's really difficult to hit them exactly day in and day out, even if you pre-log like I do.

It's different for everyone, though. Some people view fat and/or protein goals as minimums and carb goals as maximums. I don't do that because I set my own macros and my fat goal is right under 30%, which means it's certainly not a minimum for me. Also, my protein goal is set at 1g/lb of body weight, so there's no need for me to go higher than that, especially if it means sacrificing delicious carbs for it.

I think as long as you're hitting your protein goals, not restricting fat too much, and getting enough carbs to fuel your workouts, you're in good shape if your calories are set at the right level. The rest is personal preference.
  • GeddesFit
    GeddesFit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think it's moderately important, but it all depends on your goals. If we're just talking weight loss, it doesn't matter much at all. If you're lifting and we're talking about body composition, then it matters a lot more. Is it necessary to hit your macros exactly on point every single day? Nah. I try to be within 5 grams of each one. If I'm over in protein, I try to be the same amount under in carbs. If I'm over in fat, I'll keep my carbs and/or protein a little lower that day. As long as the calories add up. It's really difficult to hit them exactly day in and day out, even if you pre-log like I do.

It's different for everyone, though. Some people view fat and/or protein goals as minimums and carb goals as maximums. I don't do that because I set my own macros and my fat goal is right under 30%, which means it's certainly not a minimum for me. Also, my protein goal is set at 1g/lb of body weight, so there's no need for me to go higher than that, especially if it means sacrificing delicious carbs for it.

I think as long as you're hitting your protein goals, not restricting fat too much, and getting enough carbs to fuel your workouts, you're in good shape if your calories are set at the right level. The rest is personal preference.

Thanks good to know. I've got 38 pounds to shed off then I'll work on lifting more. I do weights and cardio right now but I'm mostly working on building my strength. I have none what so ever. Some days I'm amazed I can stand haha