I cant even jog 3 miles what a joke

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I went jogging today twice this week. the first time I was really self consious today it was better I jogged more than the last time. I could barely jog 3 miles I had to keep stopping but I did not stop I walked.
    How long did it take you to jog 3 miles it feels like forever. I am doing this for boxing my coach told me to jog to get my stamina

It took me 9 weeks (3x a week) to get from not being able to run 100m to running 10k.

Build up nice...and slow.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    For me that was 35 years ago! But I remember it all too well. My face got beet red, and it was hard. Be patient as it takes your body a while to adapt and build strength. Anyone can do it, but you break down, recover, build, and the cycle continues as you get stronger.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    thank you everyone I never knew such good people were on this site thanks

Maybe you can't run 3 miles right now, but I'd bet a lot of people couldn't jump rope for those intervals that you do. I know I couldn't!

Does your boxing coach know about the knee pain when using the treadmill? Running may bother your knees, too, so have you thought about swimming to increase your endurance? Just a thought.

jogging on flat surface is fine really high incline can hurt
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I went jogging today twice this week. the first time I was really self consious today it was better I jogged more than the last time. I could barely jog 3 miles I had to keep stopping but I did not stop I walked.
    How long did it take you to jog 3 miles it feels like forever. I am doing this for boxing my coach told me to jog to get my stamina

3 months ago, it would have taken 50 minutes....not that I would have tried. I did 6 k (about 3 miles) in 24 mins today.

Instead of jogging 3 miles, just jog 2 and walk one.....work up.

You'll get there buddy. Remember weightloss is like any other goal.
    S-M-A-R-T
    Specific
    Measureable
    Attainable
    Relevant
    Time Bound

Break it down into achievable gains. Instead of saying I want to jog 3 miles in 20 mins by mid August, say I want to jog 2 miles by 25 minutes by the 5th August.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Jogging is hard. I'm working my way back up to 3 miles so I can run my 5k in a couple of months.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    tomnev1 wrote: »

3 months ago, it would have taken 50 minutes....not that I would have tried. I did 6 k (about 3 miles) in 24 mins today.

Instead of jogging 3 miles, just jog 2 and walk one.....work up.

You'll get there buddy. Remember weightloss is like any other goal.
    S-M-A-R-T
    Specific
    Measureable
    Attainable
    Relevant
    Time Bound

Break it down into achievable gains. Instead of saying I want to jog 3 miles in 20 mins by mid August, say I want to jog 2 miles by 25 minutes by the 5th August.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

Thank you
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I went from not being able to go more than a minute (partially because of shin splints) to being able to knock out a half marathon distance on a regular basis without much trouble at all (it all starts to feel the same after you've gone 8 or 10k anyway). I didn't use a program or anything, though I'm sure there are good ones out there. Instead, I picked a route, did the same one every single night, and just made sure that however far I ran on day 1, I would never run less than that again. So if I did a kilometer one day, I had to go at least that full kilometer the next day. If I ended up running even further, great! Then the next day I had to run at least THAT far. Half the issue is often a mental block. Just keep pushing a little further every day. Once you realize you can actually go 3 and a half miles....you should be able to do that again and again. And then 4. And then 8. And then....
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Three miles as a good clip to start with. When I do something like that I start at a mile and build up. The worst thing is hurting yourself so you can't continue for a long time. That's the issue with weekend warriors - they kill themselves on occasion and then can't keep it up.

It's a lot easier to stay in shape than to get in shape.
  • havs23
    havs23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! The first time I tried to run, I couldn't run over a mile. But with time (and focusing on how long I was running instead of how far), I was able to run up to five miles no problem. But that took years of training (because I wasn't consistent). You sound like you're doing great and don't have anything to worry about. Just keep at it and be careful not to get injured!
  • scepeda1221
    scepeda1221 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

The fact you started is already an improvement. Just keep moving, eventually you will run like you were born to do it.
    Don't stop, just go.
    Keep it up man:)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It took me nearly 6 months to be able to run 3 miles. But I'm overweight and had never exercised a day in my life. Now I can run several miles without stopping, but I have neglected lifting of any sort. Yesterday, I ran 3 miles with little effort. Today I did 20 minutes of different kinds of weight lifting exercises with light weights 35lbs and less and I feel like I'm gonna die. I guess it goes to show that it's better not to only do one kind of exercise. I think I'm going to start having 2 days a week with the first 20 minutes of my workout being weights (probably followed with some mild cardio), drop my running to 3 days a week, and add a day of yoga or some sort of resistance and stretching. I still hate yoga.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    The fastest, surefire way to get into running shape is hill repeats. No one likes doing hills because they hurt. But "if thou hurteth in thy efforts and thou suffer painful dings, then thou art Doing It Right."
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You are being hard on yourself for not being able to do something right off that most people have to build up to! (Both for fitness reasons and to prevent injury).

It took me ten weeks to build up to jogging about 3 miles, perhaps a bit less distance than that, even. And I started in fairly good cardio condition from regular dancing, and was not at all overweight.

I felt great about how I progressed.

THIS. I have mild asthma and just janky joints. I can hardly jog/walk a single mile without feeling like my lungs are going to burst. It's good that you wanna push yourself, but the important thing is that you DID it, so go you! :D
    Thank you I pushed myself today I am a very self consious person I dont like going out lol it may sound weird but I have condition SLI specific langauge impairment my school therapist said its hard for me to go to new areas and stuff but I dont care what anyone says I know I can do things I will continue to go outside my comfort zone and push

I believe in you! Just don't push so hard that you injure yourself. It is better to be a little patient now and follow a program like C25K than to push extra hard now and be set back by an injury.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you see me running, there is something chasing me.
  • tbbhealthanista
    tbbhealthanista Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ha, I can't even tell you how long it would take me to actually jog three miles. I do a lot of HIIT workouts (Insanity, TurboFire, etc), can do stairs, elliptical, almost anything...but I don't think I would be able to even run a mile straight without walking so congrats no matter how far you can go!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If I could jog non-stop for 3 miles, I'd think I was the best thing since sliced bread. I probably couldn't jog half a mile...not that I've tried - cardio sucks.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It would help to give advice if your profile was public. I don't know anything about you, age, weight, gender?

At the age of 30 or so it took a little more than 3 months to go from sedentary to running a continuous 5K.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It would help to give advice if your profile was public. I don't know anything about you, age, weight, gender?

At the age of 30 or so it took a little more than 3 months to go from sedentary to running a continuous 5K.

Why do you need to know OPs gender to comment on their ability to run, just out of interest?
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Dude, don't even feel bad. I used the C25K program for 2 MONTHS & I couldn't even do a full mile. After all that & injuring my legs I don't even try anymore. I'll stick with elliptical or stair machine for cardio.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Why do you need to know OPs gender to comment on their ability to run, just out of interest?

Oh I don't know, maybe a 65yo, 300 pound female might not expect the same results as a 19yo, 150 pound male. Or vice versa.