vegetarian going non vegetarian

Options
nitikajain1
nitikajain1 Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey Everyone,
I need your help, I want to buy an air fryer but I'm not sure if it's good or not. I've been a vegetarian for 17 years but now I've decided to change that.
So what's the best way to eat chicken or meat?

Update: I want to start eating healthy, I don't want to fry it in oil. So, maybe, you guys could suggest some healthy ways to eat it like boiling or something? also, if you have tried air fryer, give your opinion?
Thanks a ton

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Wow, 17 years!

My favorite way to cook chicken (thighs, specifically - they have a lot of flavor) is to broil them. Put them on a cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet so the fat drips off. I usually buy boneless, skinless thighs.

Here is my favorite chicken thigh recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-honey-brushed-chicken-thighs
  • SophiaBarton
    SophiaBarton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would slowly add chicken into your diet first by adding it to some of you r vegetarian dishes. Then when you are comfortable with it add other meats slowly . Not too much or it will make your stomach hurt
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I went back to meat after 12 years with no issues and no stomach ache. I like baked chicken breasts with roasted veg.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I would slowly add chicken into your diet first by adding it to some of you r vegetarian dishes. Then when you are comfortable with it add other meats slowly . Not too much or it will make your stomach hurt

Some people do experience stomach pain and digestive issues, but not everyone does. I went non-veg after 5 years of no meat whatsoever and I jumped right in with no problems. It probably makes sense to go slow at first to see how your body responds. Good luck!
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    And I was violently ill immediately following hidden chicken broth. So everyone is different. Introduce very slowly the first few times to see how you react. Before I went veg head 10 years ago, I remember liking grilled chicken breast. I also liked wrapping a chicken breast lightly in foil with some added spices and lemon juice and cooking in the oven.
  • MrkSkolz
    MrkSkolz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wrap in foil w/ spices and onions etc; bake at 425 for 25 minutes. Works for breasts or thighs. Simple, quick and not messy. Boneless & skinless also make it less objectionable.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My husband's favorite is pan seared chicken breast. I pound the chicken breast flat, season it, let it sit in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours, then toss it in a screaming hot nonstick pan and cook on both sides for a few minutes until it's done. Let it rest for a few minutes and slice thin.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I also like to get thin steaks and sear them in a fry pan on both sides with salt and pepper--super easy and delicious (especially with an over medium egg on top!).

I would recommend trying some meats with other people have cooked and in restaurants to start so you can see what you like (without knowing if it's cooking practice or the actual food impacting your liking it or not).
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    hrtchoco wrote: »
    My husband's favorite is pan seared chicken breast. I pound the chicken breast flat, season it, let it sit in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours, then toss it in a screaming hot nonstick pan and cook on both sides for a few minutes until it's done. Let it rest for a few minutes and slice thin.

What does the refrigeration do? Just curious...I'm always looking for new ways to cook chicken. :)
  • nitikajain1
    nitikajain1 Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I want to thank you all for replying because I hadn't thought anyone would! I'm definitely going to try your recipes and add chicken in my diet in small proportion first. Your replies have really helped, thanks a lot again.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    hrtchoco wrote: »

What does the refrigeration do? Just curious...I'm always looking for new ways to cook chicken. :)
    Preseason the chicken not only gives it great flavor and tenderize the chicken, but also acts like a buffer and preventing the chicken from drying out. I adapted it from dry brining my turkey. :)

Ps. I only do it to chicken and turkey, not steak or fish.

You can read this and see the difference:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html