A guide to going out to eat.

Replies

• sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    I pre-plan when I can. Many times I just cut the meal in half and bring it home for another time since most restaurant portions are huge. Also, I usually don't order entree salads as they are HUGE in calories most of the time (unless calore counts are available and you know what you are getting). You are better off with a grilled chicken breast sandwich and side salad or fruit than an entree salad. You can leave the bread off the sandwich, if you like.

I tend to obsess, so I need to dial that back a bit. Thanks for the post. I already use many of the suggestions, but the reminder is great! We eat out a lot by necessity and I have lost 94 pounds doing it. Yet, it continues to be a struggle for me. I am trying to be more diligent in counting the meals that are more "convenience" meals and lightening up more for the "celebration" meals.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Great thread. Thank you. Will bookmark and use to help others.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Some great advice here. Thanks for this.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Some great advice here. Thanks for this.

Thank you :). I'm glad you found it useful.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Troutsy wrote: »

Above all else: ENJOY YOURSELF. Going out to eat shouldn't be feared or viewed as a punishment. Enjoy the time you are spending with your friends and loved ones.

This is a very important point. :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Great advice! Something I would add: if you're considering not logging, or allowing yourself to go way over your caloric budget (and haven't saved up ahead of time), then decide if you are ok with one of these options:

1. Make up for the extra calories over the next few days by limiting calories/exercising more to stay on track
    OR
    2. Know that you will not lose your normal 1 lb (or whatever your goal is) at your typical 1 week mark and be ok with it taking more time to lose that next lb

If either option is ok for you personally, and you just want to pig out for the day, go for it. If you hate these options, then yes, you need to log and make it fit into your budget. Some days you will feel strongly one way and then other days feel strongly the other way :smile:
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    When i go out i usually hit places with protein like chinese or boiled shrimp. 2 cups of boiled shrimp is 400 calories around 80 grams of protein with practically zero fat,carbs. You can eat all you want with veggies, i usually drop weight after going out two or 3 times monthly.
  • Azexas
    br3adman wrote: »
    When i go out i usually hit places with protein like chinese or boiled shrimp. 2 cups of boiled shrimp is 400 calories around 80 grams of protein with practically zero fat,carbs. You can eat all you want with veggies, i usually drop weight after going out two or 3 times monthly.

I haven't tried boiled shrimp before, I may have to go try that the next time I get Chinese.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Great thread. You are spot on your suggestions. Thank you. I used it last week. I find sticking to single item ordering when going out to eat very helpful. I see many peeps recommend that on here. Oh and those omelets at diners. I love asking them how many eggs do you use in that omelet and they say 3 eggs. I look at them and say what....thats not a 3 egg omelet. Then they change their tune. Ok, maybe they put more. Dont feel you cant press them for better answers or just asking them how much they use for certain ingredients. Dont be afraid to ask questions.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    br3adman wrote: »

I haven't tried boiled shrimp before, I may have to go try that the next time I get Chinese.

So when are we getting Chinese?
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    I do all of these. Probably the easiest/most important, though, is that I eat half of whatever is served, and take the other half home. This is easier to to if you've been at this for a while because you're already used to smaller portions.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Don't get so worried about the extra spoonful or slice of bread. One meal will not have much effect in the long run.
  • deopowers
    deopowers Posts: 1 Member
    *takes notes* I'm meeting a friend tonight for drinks & apps. Thank you!

What is drinks and "apps"?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    deopowers wrote: »
    *takes notes* I'm meeting a friend tonight for drinks & apps. Thank you!

What is drinks and "apps"?

Appetizers. Context clues.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Ooooh I thought this would be like a guide of great places to eat...whoops...hey but here is the thing on what's been discussed the most here...those olive garden breadsticks are amazing!!! And dipped in alfredo....omg
  • ckfox95
    ckfox95 Posts: 73 Member
    Bravo for all the great suggestions here, I am bookmarking and following this thread. Thank you all!!
  • Azexas
    ckfox95 wrote: »
    Bravo for all the great suggestions here, I am bookmarking and following this thread. Thank you all!!

You're welcome. Glad I could help.
  • nitetime2015
    nitetime2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Great post! One I'd like to add for obsessive loggers like myself who refuse to take a bite of something I haven't logged:

If you absolutely must log a meal you have when dining out (and the above options just won't do), give yourself a set time limit (say 1-5 min) to stress about figuring out the best way to log it, then after that just log your most educated guess at the time and move on. The fact that you're putting that much thought into it means you're already a few steps ahead of the game.

Agreed. That's why I said "Enjoy yourself" at the end. In the beginning I found going out to eat stressful, but it's about a system that works for us. I tend to preplan before I go out and choose things that will fit into my goals. But then there are days where I fall under choice 1 and say screw it, I won't log.

Yeah I agree totally, but you know how we issss. I need a hard limit sometimes of "ok im gonna worry X amount about it then I'm done"

• nitetime2015
    nitetime2015 Posts: 5 Member
    I am very glad I decided to join the group I feel ,like could loose the weight now!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Just giving this a bump