Smoothie recipes to help (my son) gain weight?

Options
I have a young son who needs to increase his calories/fats etc because a medication he is on causes him to lose appetite/weight. Advised to try smoothies. So, I am here to ask-best smoothie recipes/items for this purpose? I know of peanut butter...what else could we make up for him?

Replies

• lauramillat
    lauramillat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Maybe use coconut milk as your liquid in the smoothie? Definitely agree with the peanut butter too. You could also add full fat yogurt to them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I used to make an ice cream/protein/peanut butter one....two scoops chocolate protein, a serving or two of ice cream, and some peanut butter....comes out like a milkshake and has a lot of calories...
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Those sounds like great ideas!!! What about adding some healthy fats in liquid form (MCT coconut oil for example). Or some cream cheese?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,938 Member
    Options
    You could try an avocado chocolate smoothie too. Lots of fats and calories.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream , whole milk, p.butter-chocolate-carmel, whatever flavor they like, scoop of protein powder.
    Blend till smooth
    My son was on a 6000 cal diet for awhile. needed to gain weigh due to football and twoaday practices.
    He also ate a lot of eggs and cheese. (he is/was a heavy veggie eater)
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I often freeze avocado and use that in smoothies. Good way to add fat and the avocado flavor is usually buried by the other flavors in the smoothie. Other add ins...nuts, chocolate, nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, etc.), whole milk, ice cream, sneak in a tbs of coconut oil, olive oil, or even butter.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Wow, some great ideas. I like the chocolate protein powder idea with PB. And coconut oil and avocado.

I'm thinking I need to get some icecream, haha. He will love that!

Yesterday we did one (6% yogourt, 2 frozen bananas, some maple syrup, blueberries) but it was too thin and we had no ice to try to make it thicker. Any suggestions on making it a bit thicker or should I just leave it thin like that?
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I know it has already been said but whole milk and peanut butter are my go to bulkers when I need to add in extra cals to my protein shakes. For protein powder I use inexpensive whey from grocery store. I tried more expensive brands but all seem to work and taste the same to me.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options
    to thicken add another scoop of powder>>> thicker shake and more quality cals
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options
    you can also thicken/add cals with yogurt