Cycling with earphones?

Options
ktsjourney
ktsjourney Posts: 6 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
If you cycle, do you use earphones? I just bought a bike and will probably start tomorrow. I love listening to music when i'm working out but it seems quite unsafe on a bike? I've googled it and theres a mixed reaction between people.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do not. I have a hard enough time hearing traffic around me as it is.

I have friends who ride with 1 earbud in... always the curb side ear, never the traffic side ear.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    The safe thing to do is to wear just one earbud, and leave the other earbud in for hearing for cars, ambulances, police, people talking to you, etc. That is what I would do anyways... :-) If you are on a bike path, the polite thing to do is to take out one earbud to say hi to people you are passing. My teenagers did that, and even though most gave them weird looks, when they saw my sons again they would say hi back.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I wear a single bluetooth earbud in my curb side ear. I do this walking and running also, I want to hear what is going on around me.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    If I'm riding on the bike trail by my house or on the sidewalk on the highway, I'll wear headphones. If I'm riding on the street, absolutely not. I have a bike pouch and I'll put my phone in there with the music on speakers so I can hear it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I don't. Depending where you live, it might be illegal to do so.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I ride a 90 mile dedicated bike and jogger trail

Right side ear bud if alone

None of a group ride
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do not wear them when riding.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I do so when I cycle at the park. I don't think it wise to wear headphones if you are going to be riding on the street.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I think hearing what is approaching from behind is important, so I don't ride with earphones.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Around the neighborhood on the roads, no. People drive like idiots in our neighborhood.

On the biking/jogging trail right side ear bud in, volume low-ish if I'm alone or with just my husband.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I trail ride, and always have the ear buds in. When I have to ride on the streets to my house from the trails I simply turn the music down a bit.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    kimdbro wrote: »
    I trail ride, and always have the ear buds in. When I have to ride on the streets to my house from the trails I simply turn the music down a bit.

Cute pic, Miss Kim.

Puppy dogs make the best side-kicks. :)
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I understand wanting to have some tunes, so when I bike or jog, I will wear one earbud only. It's very important to hear what is going on around you.

My husband and I were on a shared trail and we came up on a gal jogging with headphones....she started to pass some people walking and she didn't hear us YELL our approach and jogged right out in front of us. I almost hit her and had to veer off to miss her. All because she couldn't hear anything but her music.... :o
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I ride with one ear bud (curb side) so that I can hear the traffic around me...I also listen at a pretty low volume. I have one particular ride that I do that dips into down town for a short stint and there are no bike lanes or shoulders...music off at that point.
  • Elisheva1954
    Elisheva1954 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cycle and walk as well as drive. Texting, phoning or listening to music whilst you ride is madness. Either you are cycling or you are listening to your gadgets. Cycling whether on the road or on a dedicated cycle path / joint pedestrian path you need all your wits about you. One young woman was so busy texting whilst cycling I was all but knocked off my bike. Then there arethose wearing two earphones cannot be alerted with a bell as the music is so loud a raucous antisocial horn seems to be the only way to alert them! What is so difficult about watching / kistening to the world about you?There'd be a lot less accidents if we all gave our surroundings our total attention!
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't have to hear them. They'll hear me! :D

F83CX6UG8TCERF2.LARGE.jpg

Actually I have a small Bluetooth speaker that I will occasionally ride with.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I would never EVER consider riding with earphones. EVER. And besides the fact that it is completely unsafe (and possibly illegal if you're riding on the road), it is SO freeing to just ride with no distractions. :)

I also haven't run with earphones in over a year, because you can't race with music (for triathlons, you'll be DQ'd if you're caught with headphones), so I don't train with music. And again....there's nothing like just losing yourself in your run. I LOVE running in the winter and only hearing the sound of the snow crunching beneath my feet. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I doubt anyone will get this, but there is something to be said for no music simply to get the full experience of the ride. There is something almost religious about riding... get on a good road (rural if possible), get into a good cadence, with good breathing... and then just be in the moment. No music, no cell phone, no GPS... just you, the bike, and the road.

I've only ever had a couple of moments in my life where I felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be, exactly when I was supposed to be there. Both times it happened on my bike with no electronics in sight.
  • pmtim
    pmtim Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I run with music on, but do not listen to music at all while biking. Mostly for safety reasons.
  • RangedLunatic
    RangedLunatic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have bluetooth earphones I use for running, but I haven't had great luck biking with them. There's always too much wind noise, in town there's too much traffic noise, and on the trail I'd really like more advanced warning for bears.