Cycling with earphones?

Options

Replies

• lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I doubt anyone will get this, but there is something to be said for no music simply to get the full experience of the ride. There is something almost religious about riding... get on a good road (rural if possible), get into a good cadence, with good breathing... and then just be in the moment. No music, no cell phone, no GPS... just you, the bike, and the road.
    I think that you under-rate us. The tires humming, the chain quietly clicking along, the pedals turning over as smooth as silk. I get that completely.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    lpherman01 wrote: »
    I doubt anyone will get this, but there is something to be said for no music simply to get the full experience of the ride. There is something almost religious about riding... get on a good road (rural if possible), get into a good cadence, with good breathing... and then just be in the moment. No music, no cell phone, no GPS... just you, the bike, and the road.
    I think that you under-rate us. The tires humming, the chain quietly clicking along, the pedals turning over as smooth as silk. I get that completely.

Me too:)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Nope. Very unsafe IMHO.
    I also no longer run with earphones for the same reason. It's important to be aware of your surroundings, especially cars, emergency vehicles etc.
    Plus I prefer to look around at the scenery, hear the birds, etc. Life is so full of distraction anyways.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ktsjourney wrote: »
    If you cycle, do you use earphones? I just bought a bike and will probably start tomorrow. I love listening to music when i'm working out but it seems quite unsafe on a bike? I've googled it and theres a mixed reaction between people.

No, you need to be able to hear what's going on around you. Bad idea......

Options

I've only ever had a couple of moments in my life where I felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be, exactly when I was supposed to be there. Both times it happened on my bike with no electronics in sight.
    Love this. I can totally relate.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I've only ever had a couple of moments in my life where I felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be, exactly when I was supposed to be there. Both times it happened on my bike with no electronics in sight.

I like to ride like that too...I do both...sometimes I'm in the mood for some tunes...usually something that makes me feel like I'm on vacation at the beach or something...sometimes I like nothing.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this doesn't help right at this moment but there are speakers meant for attaching to a bike, if you are looking for another option.
  • Entroopia
    Entroopia Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ktsjourney wrote: »
    If you cycle, do you use earphones? I just bought a bike and will probably start tomorrow. I love listening to music when i'm working out but it seems quite unsafe on a bike? I've googled it and theres a mixed reaction between people.

The majority of people get hurt while jogging, biking, rollerblading, walking or what have you because they are listening to music and weren't aware of their surroundings (like they couldn't hear a car coming up right behind them). It really isn't safe at all and even if you think you're super observant, it only takes one time for a car to hit you and you to be seriously injured or die. Especially on a bike because you're going a lot faster and need those quick reflexes and all of your senses working.

Besides, there really is something to being in that zone with no distractions where you're just in the real world here and now with nothing else but you and what you're doing. Sometimes we need to just put the electronics away for a bit and come back down to Earth.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I will try to take a picture of a Memorial on the Silver Comet Trail I ride

A woman with headphones was attacked from behind and raped and murdered.

It is tragic and unsafe to the point of foolish to be alone and in the woods, unaware of your surroundings with headphones on.

I see that cross and flowers a few times a week when I ride by that spot.

There are bad people in this world.

It isn't fair but I strongly caution women not to do headphones or ride alone on long deserted stretches of the trail. I always will be the buddy and ride with a friend if she wants to put in 30+ where we get out into the sticks.

• amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Talk about unsafe! I can't tell you how many people I've almost mowed down because they couldn't hear me coming up behind them despite yelling that I was coming up on them. If you're on the road and a novice rider, you really should be giving your surroundings your full attention.
  • Entroopia
    Entroopia Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I have always wondered if I was the only person to really understand this or feel this. It's not even just for bike riding, it can apply to many areas. It's like all focus and none at the same time. Just your body working, your mind wandering. It's hard to explain for sure...
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    (Sheepishly raises hand) Guitly, here. I ride with headphones. But... they are not so loud I can't hear something behind me, I put a rear-view mirror on my bike, I never ride on trails, I ride 90% on rural gravel roads and I will take one bud out if I'm on a highway or in town.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I used to use headphones, but it's really illegal in NYC. Now I have a little bluetooth speaker on my handlebars. I thought people would notice, but even in traffic it's pretty much directed towards me. I use it when I use the bike for commuting. When I'm on a group ride I'm more involved with the social aspect.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A little OT but because so many people walk or run with loud music or are oblivious while texting & walking I ride with one of these....

hwot0tk9z73h.jpg

140db gets peoples attention.....
    Options
    A little OT but because so many people walk or run with loud music or are oblivious while texting & walking I ride with one of these....

hwot0tk9z73h.jpg

I've heard of these - Hornet, right? That must be funny to make people almost crap their pants LOL

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

From pedal creaks, rear hub clicks incessantly when coasting, carbon rattling from any imperfection in the pavement, my heavy breathing, and the wind, I'm entertained for majority of the ride. The new stuff is so noisy - I miss my old DA 7400 and C-Record setups on steel frames and my youthful fitness where the music can be heard with fidelity. Now it's just another distraction, a dangerous one at that, from getting into the zone.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

From pedal creaks, rear hub clicks incessantly when coasting, carbon rattling from any imperfection in the pavement, my heavy breathing, and the wind, I'm entertained for majority of the ride. The new stuff is so noisy - I miss my old DA 7400 and C-Record setups on steel frames and my youthful fitness where the music can be heard with fidelity. Now it's just another distraction, a dangerous one at that, from getting into the zone.

Put me in this camp as well.

Honestly it seems a little strange to me that so many people seem to need music wherever they go. I seriously love music, and when I'm doing cardio in the gym I almost always have headphones in. But being outside? I'd miss hearing the breeze and the birds singing. And the truck coming up behind me.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've biked 10 plus years with headphones in, never had a problem. Just use your better judgement if you choose to use headphone they should be on the lowest setting.

§ 375 24-a. Use of earphones while driving or riding a bicycle. It shall be unlawful to operate upon any public highway in this state a motor vehicle, limited use automobile, limited use motorcycle or bicycle while the operator is wearing more than one earphone attached to a radio, tape player or other audio device.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

hwot0tk9z73h.jpg

You'd be surprised. A youth walking along a train track listening to music was killed despite a train blasting its horn repeatedly. A person walking along the street in a town in my province was killed, oblivious due to music playing, by a chopper failed above and crashed.

One doesn't have to be completely oblivious as these two incidents would indicate in order to be put at greater risk out there on the road.