• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I do.

same here
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Technically, I do. But I have yet to have a single day where every micro has been met and I have a surplus of calories that require being filled with less nutrient-dense food.

There is never an issue with having to avoid nutrient-dense food because it would be extra credit. Every day, I have credit left to work on.
  • smcdevitt07
    smcdevitt07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is basically life changing. I'm recently getting back into it. I just can't do 100% clean eating.
  • Hannah220190
    Hannah220190 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just eat with balance, workout your macros and eat within the amounts! Aim for 80-90 % from clean foods!
  • marie2k
    marie2k Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just starting after days of reading and calculation... and not sure I got it right.

I have my TDEE, minus the 20% for weight loss, and even my body fat % . So far so good.

The calculation of protein, fat and carb seems to be either too high or too low though (with different site giving you different result)

How did you calculate your macro?
  • smcdevitt07
    Options
    marie2k wrote: »
    Just starting after days of reading and calculation... and not sure I got it right.

I have my TDEE, minus the 20% for weight loss, and even my body fat % . So far so good.

The calculation of protein, fat and carb seems to be either too high or too low though (with different site giving you different result)

How did you calculate your macro?

• smcdevitt07
    Options
    I calculate mine from iifym.com
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Everyone responds differently to different macros, so feel free to experiment. I would start with hitting between .6 and .8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, .45 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight, and fill the rest in with carbs. I personally treat protein and fat as minimums, and play around with going over those amounts and filling in other calories with carbs. Personally, I've found that I respond better to higher carbs on training days and higher fats on non-training days.
  • Gymaddict98
    Gymaddict98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It'll help you get some lean gains
  • marie2k
    Options
    Thank @smcdevitt07

The result via iifym.com
    Carb: 66.5g Protein 178,4g Fat 89.2g

I can do the low carb but the protein and fat? It seems too high.
    :o that's like 6 chicken breast ( or equivalent) in one day :open_mouth:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There are no specific macros (particularly not those at iifym.com) that you should pick. The macros are to a large degree personal preference and related to your particular goals and how you feel.

Good general advice is that IF your goal is to maintain muscle while exercising on a deficit that there are apparently benefits up to about .6-.8 grams of protein/lb of bodyweight (if not obese) or .8-1 g of protein/lb of lean body mass. I like to use .8 g of protein/lb of goal weight as a nice proxy for women--likely to overstate your needs some, but not by a lot.

.35-.45 g of fat / lb of bodyweight, again for someone not obese, is a nice ballpark estimate (with more fine if that works for you). (There are arguments or cautions about how much of this should be sat fat, of course.)

The rest, then, is discretionary--all carbs or add more to the other two if you like. For energy carbs and then fat tends to be best, but some find carbs increase hunger and fat and protein are more satiating.

Using this, I would get about 96 g protein, 50 gr fat, and the rest carbs, so on 1700 calories that would mean about 216 g carbs (or 50% carbs, 25% fat and protein). However, I find that I tend to feel more satisfied on 40% carbs and 30% fat and protein, so that's what I tend to do. Like I said, personal preference.
  • aprilanne147
    aprilanne147 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I programmed MFP to calculate grams for my macros and it says I need over 200 grams of protein. That seems like a lot, no? I can even come close to hitting that number. Closest I've come is 142. Any ideas?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How did you get 200 grams--what percentage are you asking for and why? I can't imagine that's beneficial or necessary.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    As a point of clarification, it is NEVER a requirement to choose a less nutrient-dense food under IIFYM. More likely, it ALLOWS you to choose one, so long as your nutrient needs have been met.
  • marie2k
    Options
    Thanks @lemurcat12
    Am going back to my calculator and spreadsheet then :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Technically, I do. But I have yet to have a single day where every micro has been met and I have a surplus of calories that require being filled with less nutrient-dense food.

There is never an issue with having to avoid nutrient-dense food because it would be extra credit. Every day, I have credit left to work on.
    On different days are you under on different macros and over on others? If the rolling average on your micros is ~100% (possibly less depending on your metabolic demands), there isn't much concern. Your body doesn't throw out all your vitamin C, calcium, and iron overnight and start the morning at 0.
  • smcdevitt07
    Options
    My numbers are 151c 113p 50f I honestly can't do low carb. I feel crazy when I do it haha especially since I lift 6 days a week.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

On different days are you under on different macros and over on others? If the rolling average on your micros is ~100% (possibly less depending on your metabolic demands), there isn't much concern. Your body doesn't throw out all your vitamin C, calcium, and iron overnight and start the morning at 0.

Additionally, given the imperfections in the data base, and the fact that potassium is not required to be listed on labels, knowing for certain from logging whether you've hit micros is really not something that's going to pan out.

I follow this philosophy:

I aim to hit my macros with my main meals comprised of nutrient-dense foods, and make sure I include plenty of protein, vegetables, and some fruit and fats. When I've sketched in the basics of my day, I see what's left and what targets I didn't hit. Sometimes that means adding more protein powder to my smoothie, sometimes that means eating ice cream.

• petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Me too. My current macro goals are 100c/49f/98p