Guys

Options
Looking for some guys who have gone (or are going) from a high weight/BF% to a healthier weight and lower BF% to friend. I'm about 6' and was 272 when I started 3 months ago. I'm now down to about 250. Goal weight is 200lbs, but depending on what I look like when I get there, I may continue trying to lose more.

Would love to see/hear advice/tips from some guys who have lost a similar amount of weight that I'm going for and what they did to get it off

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I ate within the calorie goal provided by MFP and did cardio exercise several days a week. The benefit of exercise when restricting calories is that you can eat a bit more. I went from 258 down to 198 in 9 months.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Also exercise and protein intake helps you retain muscle mass. Overweight people actually have a lot of muscle mass underneath the layer of fat. If you can retain that mass as much as possible, it helps with weight loss and appearance down the road.

Just an FYI, I'm 6' tall and started at 305 at somewhere around 35%BF. The profile pic of me is at 175lb and 8%BF. That took me about 2.5 years of consistently eating at a deficit and exercising (cardio & weights) 2-4 times a week.

It was not an easy journey by any means, but people make weight loss WAY too hard - the best thing you can do is just pick a deficit you can stick with, be consistent, exercise some, recalc your calories every 20 lbs or so, and make sure you are eating enough protein. However, if you can just do one thing, pick a reasonable deficit and stick to it. Thats it.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hello, I recently went from about 245 to current weight of 180. I started with a goal of 239, then 229 etc. with an "ultimate" goal of 195. Well, guess what? I got there and felt so good that I wanted to keep going.

Back up a bit Pulp Fiction style - I consulted a nutritionist around the 225 mark because I had stalled for a year :o . He put me on a high protein, low carb (50 net or less), low calorie (1500, but I stuck to around 1800 since I was lifting so much at the time). He also said that he wanted to see me get down to between 190 and 195. I got to 195, and I could see more muscle definition, my wife was giving me the eyes, none of my clothes fit any more. I said "what does a doctor know?" I went for 185, I hit it, more and more confidence as time went on.

I am sitting around 180 (usually bounce between 180 and 184). and I want to take it to the next level and sit consistently around 175 (abs are starting to show in the right light with a bit of flexing).

My advice is this: Set small goals! Don't think about losing 50 lbs once, lose 1 lb 50 times (and be consistent!).

Find something you love to do for exercise. I loved smashing my PR's on deadlift. I wasn't competing with guys that were more fit than me, I was competing with myself. I ride my bike on one of the many trails we have around the KC area. I hate running so I don't do it and I didn't need to. Yes, you DO need cardio but a brisk walking pace is for 20-30 min/day is plenty. Get an audiobook and learn a little at the same time.

Lastly, diet is everything. You cannot outrun a bad diet. Don't think that you can do an extra hour on the elliptical to burn off a case of beer. It takes the body a while to adapt so stick with whatever you set for yourself so you can really gauge whether or not it is working.
  • zebacuff
    zebacuff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Lastly, diet is everything. You cannot outrun a bad diet. Don't think that you can do an extra hour on the elliptical to burn off a case of beer.

This. Focus on your eating habits to lose, exercise to maintain the loss.

Set a small goal - so small you can't not hit it - then repeat it everyday. Never miss twice!

(I'm 5'10" 36yo. Starting weight 315/current 255/goal 175. I'm not a gym rat by any stretch, but I've been walking or running at least #onemileaday every day this year - 204 day streak so far and nearly 450 miles completed.)

If you're looking for friends on here TeeC56, feel free to add me.

• chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    zebacuff wrote: »
    ... I've been walking or running at least #onemileaday every day this year - 204 day streak so far and nearly 450 miles completed.)

Nice. That's more consistent than me!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' also. Went from 192 to 150 where my abs started to show. Looking to gain 20-30 pounds in the next 8 months. You can see my before and after pics in my profile.
  • TeeC56
    TeeC56 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. Couple of questions.

What was your calorie deficit for the time it took you to lose the weight? How much protein did you eat daily? How much fat and carbs as well?

MFP's recommended daily calorie intake seemed too high to me, so I dropped it down. When I weighed in today at 250 the recommended deficit was reasonable and about the same as I've been doing.

Right now I'm doing 2400 calories a day, 240carbs/80fat/180protein. I try to at least get the protein right everyday. But usually I end up with more fat and less carbs, while still staying under the calorie deficit.

Honestly, my diet for the past three months has been extremely inconsistent, however, as a result of my job working outside and walking long distances during the day, I still consistently lost weight. I've been hovering at 255 for a while now and this past week I've tightened up on the diet and already dropped several pounds.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    ...people make weight loss WAY too hard - the best thing you can do is just pick a deficit you can stick with, be consistent, exercise some, recalc your calories every 20 lbs or so, and make sure you are eating enough protein. However, if you can just do one thing, pick a reasonable deficit and stick to it. Thats it.

Well said, and agree with everything except worrying about protein. I think most people get enough protein to maintain and even build at a basic level without shifting eating or adding supplements.

Cheers on a good post! I am stealing this for my wall to share.