Weight loss after anorexia

Options
Hi everyone !! :)

Let me introduce myself, my name is Megan and I have been weight restored from anorexia since December 2014.

The thing is, I believe I'm mentally recovered and have no issues with food anymore, but I do want to improve my current body but don't know how to. All I'm used to is starving and over exercising so the prospect of creating a healthy weight loss and exercise plan is daunting for me.

I was going to buy the Joe Wicks SSS plan which is a 90 day, non low calorie diet (which intrigued me as I don't fancy starving myself again) but before I splash out £150 I'd like to try and do something myself, you see I don't have a lot to lose and my aim ultimately is to tone and sculpt my body into something I'm more comfortable with.

I'm not looking to lose a lot of weight, maybe about half a stone as that is really when I did feel my best, but I'm not quite sure how many calories / how much exercise to do? I understand that you are not dieticians or experts but I'd just like someone else's opinion.

I don't know if my stats matter? But I am 5'7 and weigh about 133 pounds, as I mentioned I'm only looking to lose about 7lbs. But I also do not want this to be a diet id rather incorporate a healthy lifestyle for my mental wellbeing and overall health.

Thanks if you took the time to read, really appreciate it

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the maintenance forum. There is a thread about recomposition-I think it would be perfect for you. It's all about slowly losing body fat, and you basically eat around maintenance so no starving.

Don't shell out that much money for a diet-and you probably shouldn't diet at all. Keep it simple. Although you "believe" you are fully recovered I imagine restricting could lead to old habits. Check out the thread and don't worry about the scale.
  • Florameg456
    Florameg456 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Take a look at the maintenance forum. There is a thread about recomposition-I think it would be perfect for you. It's all about slowly losing body fat, and you basically eat around maintenance so no starving.

Don't shell out that much money for a diet-and you probably shouldn't diet at all. Keep it simple. Although you "believe" you are fully recovered I imagine restricting could lead to old habits. Check out the thread and don't worry about the scale.

Perfect thank you :) I'll check it out
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    As someone who has also recovered from an ED, I would have to say, from experience and from talking to others, DO NOT TRY TO LOSE WEIGHT. That little voice switches back on, no matter how recovered you think you are, and it's an uphill struggle to come back from it again. Seriously, don't even weigh yourself, just don't go anywhere near anything from your previous lifestyle.

And although I'm glad you feel confident enough to say that you are really recovered, it's barely been 6 months and it doesn't really sound like you are recovered: you still aren't unhappy with your body, which is what it all comes down to really. I've been in recovery for 5 years and it never really goes away, not completely. The voice which urges you to do stupid things just gets quieter, but it never really stops, and trying to lose weight is honestly just a way to let it get a bit louder each and every day. It's a slippery slope.

Seriously, don't do it. I cannot stress that enough.

Ok, I hope that didn't sound like a lecture. I've just been where you are and know what can happen, no matter how conscious you are of not wanting to go that way again.

But I also get that you want to be healthier and, I guess, take back some control over your body. I have found that aiming for a healthy lifestyle by setting fitness goals rather than weight goals (to run/swim/cycle a certain distance, to lift a certain weight etc), or body fat goals whilst maintaining the same weight, have been more effective in helping me to get my diet and my body back under my control without running any risk of thinking, even for a second, that I want to lose weight. It works for me and makes me feel happier with the body I have, because I realise what it's truly capable of, rather than trying to destroy it to make it something it isn't.

Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat more :)
  • galfindgmoneyyeah
    galfindgmoneyyeah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with Slaite1. With your BMI about 20, recomposition is more likely to give you the results you're looking for. A great source of info is reddit.com/r/fitness or reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness. Each is a welcoming community, and they'll be able to answer all your questions about making the most of your body through healthy fitness practices. You might even meet people in your same situation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    @Florameg456 - maybe you should run this by your treatment team?
  • Florameg456
    Options
    As someone who has also recovered from an ED, I would have to say, from experience and from talking to others, DO NOT TRY TO LOSE WEIGHT. That little voice switches back on, no matter how recovered you think you are, and it's an uphill struggle to come back from it again. Seriously, don't even weigh yourself, just don't go anywhere near anything from your previous lifestyle.

And although I'm glad you feel confident enough to say that you are really recovered, it's barely been 6 months and it doesn't really sound like you are recovered: you still aren't unhappy with your body, which is what it all comes down to really. I've been in recovery for 5 years and it never really goes away, not completely. The voice which urges you to do stupid things just gets quieter, but it never really stops, and trying to lose weight is honestly just a way to let it get a bit louder each and every day. It's a slippery slope.

Ok, I hope that didn't sound like a lecture. I've just been where you are and know what can happen, no matter how conscious you are of not wanting to go that way again.

But I also get that you want to be healthier and, I guess, take back some control over your body. I have found that aiming for a healthy lifestyle by setting fitness goals rather than weight goals (to run/swim/cycle a certain distance, to lift a certain weight etc), or body fat goals whilst maintaining the same weight, have been more effective in helping me to get my diet and my body back under my control without running any risk of thinking, even for a second, that I want to lose weight. It works for me and makes me feel happier with the body I have, because I realise what it's truly capable of, rather than trying to destroy it to make it something it isn't.

Thanks this message has been so helpful!! I understand what you mean about the thoughts creeping back in and due to relapsing a few times I can relate. I weigh myself about once a week usually, maybe that is the last thing that I'm holding onto so I will try to cut that down too.

I do run so I will try to set goals like you said, really I do appreciate your comment it makes a lot of sense.

I will make sure I do when needs be! Thank you again
  • myzi88
    myzi88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I have been anorexic also and I think that everyone is different.
    I have managed to diet and get much stronger and fit before my illness happened without any "voice" coming back in my head :)

• Florameg456
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Oh I've been discharged for a while so I'm afraid that isn't an option
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is not a good idea without talking to a professional.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I agree speak to your Doctor. Good luck. :smile:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,929 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Your BMI is already low enough that even without your previous history the correct suggestion would be to go for body recomp by eating at a slight surplus or at maintenance and lifting weights, as opposed to losing weight. Given your previous history your desire as stated is concerning to someone who is looking at this from the outside.
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Oh I've been discharged for a while so I'm afraid that isn't an option

I've been discharged for a while too but if ever I feel like I'm struggling/slipping I give the lovely people at BEAT a call (I'm assuming you're in the UK from your OP) https://www.b-eat.co.uk/support-services/helpline

Rather than dieting I have started recomping and I really think it's the way to go for those of us who have a tendancy to be a bit more than obsessive over the scale. Read the Recomp thread as suggested: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

From just 8weeks of beginner lifting I've lost 1.5inches from my waist and dropped to 27% body fat so there are clear measurable results, but I'm not having to diet and restrict. Hope that helps, feel fee to message me if you want some more support.