Not weight loss related

Options
Hey all, I know this is completely off topic for this site but I am having trouble with a school teacher that isn't following up on her part and since discussing the 50+ school teacher is actually bullying my 9 year old. I know that the school principal does not have a great history of dealing with these kind of issues so I guess I am asking what any of you would do. I am just at my wit's end. My husband and I are meeting with the principal in the morning but any suggestions on how to "properly" handle it would be great, if any.

thanks
Nic

Replies

• Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I know this is completely off topic for this site but I am having trouble with a school teacher that isn't following up on her part and since discussing the 50+ school teacher is actually bullying my 9 year old. I know that the school principal does not have a great history of dealing with these kind of issues so I guess I am asking what any of you would do. I am just at my wit's end. My husband and I are meeting with the principal in the morning but any suggestions on how to "properly" handle it would be great, if any.

thanks
    Nic
  • msrn8143
    msrn8143 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The Mom in me says "Who cares about handling it properly??? That's my kid!" But.....after many years of practice, the realist in me says stick to the facts. Don't get emotional or you'll risk being seen as an alarmist and overreacting. Just state very clear with any supporting data you can give what is happening and what you expect as a resolution. If you have involved your child in this, find out what is view is and what he wants to happen. Good luck!!!
  • number8
    number8 Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't have direct experience with this type stuff - but I do work in a school...

Decide what the problems are - write them down if you have to. Be specific.
    Does your 9 year old do anythign to make things worse? be ready to address that.
    Decide how you want the problem resolved or maybe you need the principal to tell you your options.

Don't rant and rave. be calm, but firm. Stay on topic.

Good luck!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher (although not for 30 years!) and was just wondering what kinds of problems you're having? Is your son not being challenged? Challenged too much? I guess I'm not sure what the problem is. I think you should go it without any pre-conceived notions and just talk about the problems like adults.
  • catcooke
    Options
    The Mom in me says "Who cares about handling it properly??? That's my kid!" But.....after many years of practice, the realist in me says stick to the facts. Don't get emotional or you'll risk being seen as an alarmist and overreacting. Just state very clear with any supporting data you can give what is happening and what you expect as a resolution. If you have involved your child in this, find out what is view is and what he wants to happen. Good luck!!!

And if this doesn't work, go to the school superintendent, and if that doesn't work, go to the school board...... on up the ladder until you get some peace of mind. Just try not to let your child think you are giving them power over the teacher or principal. Good luck from me too!!
  • Nich0le
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I did write everything down before we went in. The principal was actually prepared with teacher input but receptive (shockingly) to us and since we had our son come with us we were able to let the pricipal hear first hand how his teacher's attitude was affecting him. We have another meeting involving the teacher soon so hopefully we can get it all resovled quickly.

thanks again
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    OMG - I went through the exact same thing. My husband overreacted and I tried to be patient and understanding. Our problem was with the Vice Principal. At the end of the day, my son was seen as the problem and he was expelled. Now because of it, we are reaping the benefits of a 17 year old with a grade 9 diploma (it was all downhill from there). We couldn't do anything to help him from being bullied and accused of anything and everything that went wrong in the school. Stick by your child and let him know that education is a #1 priority and that you've got his best interests at heart.

Take care and good luck!

Charlene
  • Nich0le
    Options
    thanks charlene, I have a feeling he is going to have to go to another teacher, this one just can't seem to act like an adult.
  • catcooke
    Options
    The hardest thing for a child to get past is the "label" of being a problem child. As Charlene said, it's all down hill from there. I have the upmost respect for teachers and the jobs that they do. But they are human and sometimes they just don't "click" with certain kids. I hope you can all get past it and I hope your child is able to put this bad experience behind.

Cathy
  • sapphire03
    sapphire03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hope your meeting went well today. When I was having issues with the teacher not taking care of things that needed to be done. I called together a meeting. I contacted the school counselor. The counselor then contacted the teacher involved and the principle and we had our meeting. I was all well after that. Hope it gets better.