Super proud momma posting my son's 50lb progress with pics.

Options
triciab79
triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
This is my son. He is 17 and like most kids spends most of his days playing video games with his friends. 6 months ago he decided he wanted to become a chaplain in the army. He knew he was over the weight cap for his height for military service. At 256 he wouldn't be accepted and in his current shape he wouldn't be able to get through basic training. I lost 100lbs a couple years ago and I did an overhaul on the diet of my household but he was still eating the wrong foods for his activity level at school and at his dad's house. He started asking me questions about what he should and shouldn't eat to lose weight. I explained calories and how things like fiber and protein can help reduce cravings. I got him a gym membership (that he rarely uses) and I encouraged him to walk to and from school (3miles). He weighed in a couple days ago at 200lbs, he is 6'1". He still wants to lose another 20lbs and he is taking weight lifting for his last PE credit this year.

I am a very very proud momma! He gets good grades, stays out of trouble, volunteers at a soup kitchen, and organizes and runs a children's game night every Wen during the school year. He has always been the sort of son any mother would be proud to have but today I have one more reason. Not just that he lost the weight but that he took the initiative to change what he needed to change to reach his goals.

Billy%20pounds_zpszpdzushv.png

Replies

• alwilson1974
    alwilson1974 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome story....congratulations to him, but kudos to you! You must be doing something right:-)
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! Congratulations to him, and to you for being such great inspiration and encouragement for him!
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wow...he did and amazing job and so did you raising such a good kid :)
  • dayrae02
    dayrae02 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My son is only 2, but I would feel just as proud as you if he did even half of the great things it sounds like your son does. :)
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I remember your weight loss story. Both yours and his are amazing! Glad he came to you for help, because you obviously knew what you were doing. =p

Thanks for sharing! :)
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I can understand why you are proud of your awesome son
  • elos18
    elos18 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Huge congrats to you and your son! You both deserve it!!!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! Looks like success runs in the family ;) Its amazing you are able to be such a great example for your son, and it's wonderful he is on his way to being able to pursue his career of choice!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    This is pure awesomeness. Way to go!
  • chubbywolfe
    chubbywolfe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    He looks great! Sounds like a great kid, the Army will be lucky to have him.
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    What an amazing kid!!! Good job mom :)
    10075678 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am hoping to lose a similar amount, and the change in your son has motivated me so much!
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well done on all of your accomplishments! You've already done more than some do in a whole lifetime. Your mum has every right to be proud.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I NEVER reply, but had to for you. I'm proud of you! Look at the son you've raised, Way to go, Mom!
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Spectacular accomplishment I am super proud of him as well!!
  • eshnna
    eshnna Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Great progress! And what a good mom you are!
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your son!! And congrats to you for being such a great mom!
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Best thing I read all day.
  • sevenofnine01
    sevenofnine01 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    What a handsome young man! And he sounds like he has great character too. Congrats to you son - for losing all that weight and making himself a healthier person. And congrats to you Mom, for raising him well. (-:
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    so awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!