woman with pcos, high is your dosage for metformin

Options
I don't quite understand what metformin is used for? how is your dosage? do you have any side effects?
Im on 500 per pill, twice a day..

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It is used to control insulin resistance. People taking it often have pre-diabetes, metabolic syndrome, PCOS, etc. The idea is to lower/control your blood sugar by helping the pancreas to work better. Your A1C numbers should come down on this drug.

Recently, I've been hearing of doctors prescribing it off label for weight loss in people who have normal pancreatic function. I'm not a medical doctor, so I am not sure whether or not this is a good idea, in either the short or long term.

I take 2000 mg/day, time release/all at once. I've been on it for many years, so no discernible side effects.
  • inspirezme
    inspirezme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Currently I take 1500mg a day. 1000mg at night and 500mg in the AM. When I first started taking it, I would get really bad stomach cramps, especially in the middle of the night. Then once I upped from 1000mg(PM) to an additional 500mg in the morning, I felt really fatigued. But I think that it just takes about a month to adjust to the dosage and then the side effects diminish.
  • kajevr
    kajevr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1500 mg once a day (extended release). Been on it for about 9 years.
  • purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I don't HAVE to take it, but my OBGYN wrote me a script for it because I asked him. I haven't taken it in a while. I was on 500 mg 2x/day. The good? I didn't have a huge appetite. The bad? Don't trust the fart - just sayin'.
  • ayfa
    ayfa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Did people get better results increasing their Metformin dosage? I'm on 2x 500g. It worked for the first few days and weeks but now all the great side effects like better sleep and weightloss are no longer there. Should I ask to increase dosage?
  • EternalSnow627
    EternalSnow627 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I take it on 1000mg I had a side effect I'd get diaria (tmi I know) only if i drank coffee well I stopped drinking that so no more side effects
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    3 pills a day- each one in the middle of a meal. I'm type 2 diabetic. Diaherra was an early symptom, not an issue now.
    I find it helps control my blood sugars which help me control how much I meet. I must say tho that 2 friends who are on it have had no weight loss as they haven't altered their eating.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and am insulin resistant. Never have been on it.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    PCOS and insulin resistant. 2,000 mg extended release