Foods to fight depression and anxiety

MFD7576
MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Just curious what you guys recommend to help keep the effects of depression and anxiety at bay, provided I live a healthy lifestyle.

Maybe even some tips on foods to avoid that might provoke it?

Replies

• maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    edited July 2015
    Personally trying to go low carb is an absolute no go for me it triggers my anxiety and I just feel weary and drained constantly. That being said simple carbs are also a huge no-no, I get a quick carb high and then an even more sudden drop in energy and mood. I have to be careful with sugary processed foods as they were and still are on bad days a huge crutch for evening snacking to feel "better" before bed.

As for what to eat. I try to stick to a lot of nutrient packed foods like fruits, veg and whole grains. I try and keep my protein up as much as possible with lean meats or beans/lentils and it really helps keeps me more stable all day long. Oatmeal, cashews or melon are my go to snacks to replace candy or chips.

ETA: Main thing I try to focus on is remembering when I cave and have something I know will make me feel like crap its OK and not worth beating myself up over, but still something I want to keep in mind for the future to avoid the pain.
  • eba2003
    eba2003 Posts: 43 Member
    What the poster above said. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid refined added sugar, processed foods. Eat foods as close to their natural state as possible
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Seeking medical help to fight depression and anxiety would be the best course of action .
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    For me, it's all about finding balance. Overly restricting anything just makes my anxiety worse.

I believe I have read things about magnesium and b-vitamins, but I'm really not sure about any details. I also supplement vitamin d as my blood levels have been low in the past (as are most people's). Supposedly vitamin d deficiency can mimic the symptoms of depression-so I figure it can't hurt! :smile:

I do always make sure to drink plenty of water, EXERCISE and hit my macro/micro requirements as I generally feel better when I do. Best of luck
  • MFD7576
    Seeking medical help to fight depression and anxiety would be the best course of action .

Been there, done that. Too infrequent to med.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member

Completely disagree. I would much rather self medicate with healthy foods, vitamins and exercise than take a mind numbing personality killing assortment of pharmaceuticals if they aren't necessary. Not saying it's wrong to take them if they are needed, but they shouldn't be if there are alternatives. Good on OP for trying to see if a change in diet can help relieve or prevent symptoms.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Sometimes omega 3 can help -- found in sardines, salmon, walnuts, flax, . . .
  • MFD7576

Completely disagree. I would much rather self medicate with healthy foods, vitamins and exercise than take a mind numbing personality killing assortment of pharmaceuticals if they aren't necessary. Not saying it's wrong to take them if they are needed, but they shouldn't be if there are alternatives. Good on OP for trying to see if a change in diet can help relieve or prevent symptoms.

Not only this ( and I thank you for saying what I haven't yet) but I've taken them, they have the worst side effects, I'd rather just have a couple bad days during the week rather than have a constant dry mouth, ringing in the ears and a more personal side effect. Food and caffeine is 90% of the battle for me I believe

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Seeking professional help is not the same as seeking drugs.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Bit sure food is going to have an effect on depression. You might wnat to cut out alcohol and go for a healthy balanced diet. Exercise is more likely to have a beneficial impact.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    MFD7576 wrote: »
    Just curious what you guys recommend to help keep the effects of depression and anxiety at bay, provided I live a healthy lifestyle.

Maybe even some tips on foods to avoid that might provoke it?

Get thee to a therapist, and a psychiatrist if need be.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    I think for each person it's going to be different. What may help is to daily achieve whatever your specific idea of healthy is. For me, I watch my calories and my carbs. I don't do low carb but I'm at about 45%. If I stay within my calorie and carb goals, I feel good. When I eat junk it makes me feel bad which manifests itself in multiple negative ways.

For some people it may be low carb, others it may be high protein or maybe some people have more of an exercise goal than a nutrition goal. Set daily goals for yourself regarding nutrition and exercise and when you meet those goals, hopefully it will set you on a positive path.
  • ternacious
    ternacious Posts: 16 Member
    slaite1 wrote: »
    For me, it's all about finding balance. Overly restricting anything just makes my anxiety worse.

I believe I have read things about magnesium and b-vitamins, but I'm really not sure about any details. I also supplement vitamin d as my blood levels have been low in the past (as are most people's). Supposedly vitamin d deficiency can mimic the symptoms of depression-so I figure it can't hurt! :smile:

I do always make sure to drink plenty of water, EXERCISE and hit my macro/micro requirements as I generally feel better when I do. Best of luck

Took awhile, but after some trial and error I found this works for me as well - for a few years I worked long hours in a windowless space and barely saw sunlight so supplementing with vitamin d when I remembered to do so helped a lot. I found cutting down alcohol, staying hydrated, and being more mindful of what I was eating by cooking for myself instead of grabbing fast food on my way home helped too. I'd also recommend exercise, cause the post-exercise high is great :) and also reduces likelihood of insomnia to get a good amount of sleep (if you have that problem). My depression and anxiety felt reduced by a ton after I stopped sleeping 3-4 hours a night.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Some people can "self-medicate":
    -- reduce stress and when that is not possible learn ways to deal with stress; more sunshine if they are lacking in vit D; better sleep; more exercise; good social support; and lots of routine (for ex, keeping a regular sleep schedule). Also, music, visual art, nature, meditation, breathing techniques.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Seeking professional help is not the same as seeking drugs.

Right? For people with depression and anxiety medical help should be a first step. Particularly if your case is more than mild.

And there is nothing wrong with taking medication. For some people depression is more than just the feeling down a few days a week. And for some of us medication has been a life saver. Meds or not-self care is still necessary. I hate this implication that it's the easy way or something.

Seeking help was hard-it's hard to need help. And admitting I needed medication-and sticking to it-is one of the hardest things I have ever done.
  • ms_true
    ms_true Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2015
    Limit caffeine to one coffee per day. Drink Green Tea and Chamomile tea to replace any other coffees or soft drinks thru the day. Bengal Spice by Celestial Seasonings is like a dessert. Yummy. Stay off the added sugar and takeout/processed foods. Eat salmon 2x week, bananas (help build up serotonin). Totally avoid trans fats and vegetable oils. Butter, olive oil, and coconut oil are fine. Meditate/guided relaxation/colouring books to reduce cortisol. Get fresh air & sunshine. Over exercising brings up your cortisol level so this should be avoided. Square of dark chocolate every day reduces cortisol (which also causes fat to store around the middle further causing inflammation). Take pro/pre biotics or eat yogurt and sauerkraut most days to bring up good gut bacteria that reduces anxiety. Look up an anti-inflammation diet for more ideas as inflammation in the body can bring on depression & anxiety. Dry body brushing and epson salt baths (magnesium) reduces anxiety. I supplement with a large dose of vitamin d + small dose of vitamin k for balance. Krill or fish oil reduces inflammation. Cheap general multi-vitamin. Ashwagandha may be helpful. Chia seeds in my protein shake for omega 3 and fiber. Make cooking fun, you have to do it anyway. Check out the Hairy Dieter's cookbooks if you're a meat and potatoes kind of guy.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    If you need meds, food and exercise isn't going to fix your depression. And it's no replacement for therapy either.

However, you can become depressed from a bad diet but in my life, a bad diet tends to be a symptom of my depression.

But to answer your question, eat a wide variety of whole foods, including - 3 cups a day of fresh vegetables, 3 pieces fruit, plenty of protein, omega 3 fatty acids found in oily fish and other foods in smaller quantities, wholegrains, legumes. If you are doing all that, and you are not recovered after a few months (if you have been eating a poor diet for a long time), then its clear your treatment should be somewhere else which does not mean you can let go eating properly. There is no whole food you need to avoid. Eat them all but minimise processed food.

This site might be helpful

http://www.health-alternatives.com/vitamins-nutrition-chart.html