Is my Goal acheivable?

Options
So my over all goal is 90 pounds I started at 225. I am now down to 200 and have 9 months to my 40th birthday and I am wondering if 65 pound goal is setting myself up for failure. I'd love some thoughts and helpful suggestions. PLEASE BE KIND.

I am 5'3 and my goal is 135

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I'm 5'4" and when I started at 163 it took me a good 10 months to lose 30 lbs and get down to 135. It gets slow as you get closer to goal, as you should not aim for such an aggressive loss when you have less to lose.
  • msfoxy_25
    msfoxy_25 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally doable but a more attainable goal would be 45-50. It all depends on your motivation and dedication.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    It's possible. It averages out to 1.67 pounds per week. You may lose faster than that for a while, but most likely your loss will slow down as you get closer to your goal.

I believe it's better to set aggressive goals, even if you fall a little short, than to set easy goals and not push yourself (and possibly still fall short) But don't worry...even if you don't hit 135 by your birthday, would 143 really be so terrible? It would still be a huge achievement and hitting your final goal just a little later isn't a big deal. Good luck.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    How about a measurement goal? Not that you can't reach your goal but the reality is that the more you lose the harder it gets to lose. So as to not be disappointed for your 40th maybe set some small goals for yourself like maybe some monthly exercise/strengthening goals or losing a few inches.

My goal was to lose 94lbs and be a size 10/12, I lost about 90lbs and I am a 2/4 . . . I haven't quite made it to my goal weight.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I think it's doable but hard. I think realistically 1 lb per week is more attainable though. It's easier to lose faster in the beginning, but that does tapper off.
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    So I have lost 25 pounds in the last 3 months maybe I am motivated like no other right now! and I am loving my new body as it changes. thank you all for the encouragement. I have also a goal to be in a dress I loved and never wore that is a size 12 I started in a size 22 and just bought a dress that FITS that is a size 16. My other goal is to run a 9 mile race next summer with a friend. AND MY biggest goal is to just be healthy. But to be honest when the pounds drop it gives me such a thrill I just want to keep going. its almost been addicting/ fun addicting not I am going to be a skeleton addiction. thank you all I am super exited about my journey but want to be realistic and sometime need to be reminded about holidays and those sort of things.
  • vedra_b
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    How about a measurement goal? Not that you can't reach your goal but the reality is that the more you lose the harder it gets to lose. So as to not be disappointed for your 40th maybe set some small goals for yourself like maybe some monthly exercise/strengthening goals or losing a few inches.

My goal was to lose 94lbs and be a size 10/12, I lost about 90lbs and I am a 2/4 . . . I haven't quite made it to my goal weight.

wow that is super amazing! I bet you feel so amazing I know just 25 pounds down I do!
  • vedra_b
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    It's possible. It averages out to 1.67 pounds per week. You may lose faster than that for a while, but most likely your loss will slow down as you get closer to your goal.

I believe it's better to set aggressive goals, even if you fall a little short, than to set easy goals and not push yourself (and possibly still fall short) But don't worry...even if you don't hit 135 by your birthday, would 143 really be so terrible? It would still be a huge achievement and hitting your final goal just a little later isn't a big deal. Good luck.

wow that 1.67 a week sounds way better I think I am going to post that on my mirror!!!
  • sevenofnine01
    sevenofnine01 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Shoot for the moon! Even if you miss you land in the stars.....

Seriously though, it all depends on your mindset. Make your goal 135 - as long as you have the right attitude. When you wake up on your birthday and the scale reads 158 - would you really be disappointed in yourself? Or would be you like "Hell yeah! I lost 67 lbs!"?

I think it's good to have lofty goals, but its all up to the person you are. High goals motivate me and I'm always proud of my accomplishments regardless if I hit them or not. If you can adopt that attitude, I don't think you can lose.

Good luck! And congrats on the success so far!
  • vedra_b
    Options
    Shoot for the moon! Even if you miss you land in the stars.....

Seriously though, it all depends on your mindset. Make your goal 135 - as long as you have the right attitude. When you wake up on your birthday and the scale reads 158 - would you really be disappointed in yourself? Or would be you like "Hell yeah! I lost 67 lbs!"?

I think it's good to have lofty goals, but its all up to the person you are. High goals motivate me and I'm always proud of my accomplishments regardless if I hit them or not. If you can adopt that attitude, I don't think you can lose.

Good luck! And congrats on the success so far!

Land in the stars love that!!
  • RegainFiks
    RegainFiks Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I believe that if you work hard nothing is impossible.
  • vedra_b
    Options
    Thank you I agree! I hit the gym last night took a walk at my lunch and am planning swimming tonight! I am going to make this GOAL~!!!