How do I get more protein in my diet?

Options

Replies

• lkamp1996
    lkamp1996 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually start my day with about 450 grams of low fat greek yoghurt.. 100 grams has like 9/10 grams of protein and only 50 calories.. It keeps you full for a long time and it's full of protein. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My standard lunch dessert is 112 g of plain non-fat Greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder. It is like a really good, less sweet, mousse. If I have berries available (like the blueberries right now) I will add some of those. Fresh strawberries or raspberries in chocolate yogurt "mousse" is super yummy. Without berries, it comes to 235 calories and 42 g protein. Throw in some lean sandwich meat and I usually hit at least 60 g. protein for my lunch alone.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Epcswim, try to get your protein in whole food form and not from supplements. If you are vegan, try beans, seeds, and nuts. If you eat dairy, go for Icelandic or Greek yogurt, plain fat free. If you eat fish, stay away from fried and try to eat smaller cold water varieties. Egg whites are pure protein. Just some thoughts.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I like greek yogurt with some (Kind brand) high-protein granola mixed in. I have a hard time with the texture of yogurt if I don't put a lot of crunchies in it, but the protein is great and as a fairly rare (although I like it VERY rare) meat eater it's working for me.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm always really confused when people, especially people that consume animal products (i.e. not vegetarian or vegan), have trouble getting in their protein. Especially when their goal is pretty low, like under 100g. My protein goal is 125g/day (a little over 1g/lb body weight) and even without protein powder, I have trouble not going way over my protein every day.

I'm just the opposite, I don't get how people can get over 100g, especially those that are over 150. I look at their diaries & think that much protein doesn't even look good, it's missing all the good stuff :smiley: . My macro preferences tend to lean towards fat and carbs. Don't get me wrong, I love meat (& other protein foods) & eat it at every meal, but the portions are smaller to make room for other yummies & I don't crave protein snacks.
  • lorepres
    lorepres Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...not getting enough protein. I'm also concerned about getting too much sodium. (blood pressure is a little high) When I hit my numbers for protein, I'm usually over on sodium. I think I want to try Quest bars...don't want shakes, would rather eat my calories. Any suggestions on the best tasting Quest bars? I'm going to GNC in about in a few hours so, would love to get a fast suggestion. (I don't like peanut butter...daughter is allergic to peanuts, and I don't want it in the house. I learn so much here...so thanks everyone. Thanks in advance.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Go running. I'm always eating bugs. :D

Get a protein powder if you're really struggling.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    @epcswim2009 and @lorepres - do you eat eggs, fish, or meat? You'll get better answers if we know if you are just working with non-animal sources of protein.
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was just coming to ask this same question. My current goal is 133g of protein and I am always below it and was wondering if I am missing something. I eat meat, eggs, fish, greek yogurt etc...but still struggle to eat enough. I am on a low carb/sugar diet (health reasons) so perhaps I just need to eat more meat and less fruit and veggies. But I love them!! ;-)

Anyway this has been very informative. I guess I didn't realize Greek yogurt was so high in protein! I can eat it more often!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I had blue grenadier fish the other day.

I'm still not convinced on the calories and protein numbers. The calories seem so low compared to the protein and size of the fish.

1 fillet is say 400-450g, fills a frying pan.
    1500-1700 kj or 350-400 cal
    70-80g of protein it seems.

Admittedly 400g of fish is a lot, my eyes were bigger than my stomach and I regretted it at kick boxing a hour later.

But doesn't that seem
    Like a lot of protein for the calories. And also a lot of quantity for the calories.

Why aren't we grinding up fish in to protein shakes instead of whey :smiley:
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My three main sources are milk/dairy, chicken, tuna. beef (ground sirloin. Beans are huge for me as well.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    My three main sources are milk/dairy, chicken, tuna. beef (ground sirloin. Beans are huge for me as well.

Isn't like like 4-5 sources?

Or was it dairy, meat and beans?
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

I got a C in calculus.
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I got a C in calculus.[/quote]

LOL
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    OP, what kinds of foods do you eat to where you only have 10% protein? Are you vegetarian? Are you calculating correctly? I ask because it seems to me that eating 10% protein would be very difficult to do.

When I was vegetarian, I accidentally only ate about 10% protein. It was pretty easy, really. But I DONT RECOMMEND IT, I lost so much muscle it's not even funny and I kick myself every day.

I can't imagine it being that easy, but it sounds like you experienced it.

You are right, getting enough protein is very important.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Go running. I'm always eating bugs. :D

Get a protein powder if you're really struggling.

Ha, love the running joke! It happens, though.

polls_eat_20spider1_0132_409754_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Meat, cheese, eggs, milk, Greek yogurt, quest bars.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I always have below 10% or my diet being protein. Since I'm going to be working out much more often I need it more. Help!
    It is likely that you are under your protein because you are spending your calories on carbs and sugars like fruit, bread, cereal, sugary yogurt.
    When you free up some space in your calories, you can eat eggs, chicken thighs, ham, . . .other meat, cheese, fish, seafood, beans, and nuts.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was just coming to ask this same question. My current goal is 133g of protein and I am always below it and was wondering if I am missing something. I eat meat, eggs, fish, greek yogurt etc...but still struggle to eat enough. I am on a low carb/sugar diet (health reasons) so perhaps I just need to eat more meat and less fruit and veggies. But I love them!! ;-)

Anyway this has been very informative. I guess I didn't realize Greek yogurt was so high in protein! I can eat it more often!

You do not need that much protein.
    To make up for the missing sugar and carbs, add fats and oils: full fat salad dressing, butter, sour cream, avocados, coconut, cheese, nuts, olives, flax seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds.

• Merkavar
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

You do not need that much protein.

That's the part I find most difficult, working out how much protein I actually need.

Ask three people and 4 websites and get 11 answers