What do you guys do when you feel like caving and quitting?

Options
This is something I suffer a lot of. I've always gone on and off diets because of this. It doesn't help that my family still eats loads of junk food in front of me and to tease me they order my favourite foods it! :'( I've be on a diet for 10 days as of now and I think this is the longest I've ever lasted. I'm so curious as to what you guys do when you want to binge or something like that. How do some of you stay on a diet and not mess up for months? That seems like something far away and impossible for me!

Replies

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    something I read a while ago in my beginning of MFP it just stick to my head, I don't remember the exact words but basically it said that a lot of time why people fail is that constantly we change what we want now at the moment with what we want to achieve long term.

so yeah always thinking that i really really want this with no extra delays, does the "trick".

and my plan B when those moments of binge or overeating rarely happen is to always ALWAYS remember that there is a next meal/next day to start again and do it so much better
  • devinnn0728
    devinnn0728 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I read the community forums on here for support. I think about how time will pass by no matter what and I can either be proud of the progress i have made in 6 months or wish i had done something about it. I track all of my food and allow myself one day a week to let loose a little and have a cheat day...not anything too crazy but just having what i want in moderation. Even on my regular days if I really feel like having something then i do. Don't deprive yourself and just keep going. You CAN do this.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I just...dont't. I've been tempted to quit tons of times, but I realized that I'll never reach my goals if I do, and all my hard work will have been in vain.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Go exercise more instead of eating. When my body is in motion I remember all the reasons I want to make this change and I stick with it. Even if you don't and you "cave" as you call it, just enjoy that one meal and then immediately get back into it. Don't go crazy trying to repair the damage, just accept it and move on with better choices next time.
  • eukleja
    eukleja Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried just doing one small change for 2 weeks, then another one, and another one... Since 10 days is the longest you've ever been committed, it sounds like you might try to take too much on at once and become overwhelmed. So maybe start with committing to eating more fruits and veggies at first, then scaling back (Or quitting) drinking soda, then adding in 15 minutes of exercise every day.. Whatever goals are manageable for you, set them, stick with them for 2 weeks, then add on to it. Just a thought....

Also, one thing that always gives me the kick that I need is checking out a video by Derek Weida on facebook (and probably other social media too!) The guy is a veteran who lost his leg and is a total bad *kitten*. Warning: He swears a lot. But that's what helps me personally to realize that I need to get moving. He's blunt, and tells you your excuses are invalid. This one helped me just on Monday when I was having a bad day, feeling sorry for myself, and didn't want to work out. as soon as I saw it, I strapped on shoes and headed to the gym, and I've been back every day since.

https://video-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xap1/v/t42.1790-2/11744108_934120866646889_1846898612_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjUyMiwicmxhIjo2MjF9&rl=522&vabr=290&oh=746b576676e2963f734b0ea326a7bf2a&oe=55B1A994
  • Mark_Joseph
    Mark_Joseph Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My family is currently doing the same as yours.Trying to change old habits is difficult and there will always be internal and external factors that will constantly affect us. Fast food, cravings, family members who are unsupportive and etc etc. However the only thing that is really affecting us.. Or what I have noticed that has affected me when I feel like giving up on my diet, or feel alone, is my attitude.I know I am a capable being. You are too! Losing weight or becoming healthier means alot to me. To me it means that I am willing to change in order to live a better one. That also means that I willing to change my bad habits. I forgot where I read this info but I remember this person stating that the reason why people are lazy or are "unsuccessful" is due to bad habits. Now instead of nitpicking and getting all negative and emo about your habits. The author said "how can I change these bad habits into better ones". How can I make this bad habit into a better, or more beneficial, habit that can in turn make into a better person.
    Maybe it is my bad habit of thinking that junk food is easily accesible to me therefore i usually dread the idea of cooking healthy food. Which usually equates to quiting my diet or eating healthy. Or is it my bad habit of watching TV/Netflix all day that has led me to being a lazy *kitten* bum, sitting all day at home.

Ik you're ten days strong but don't forget. You can have cheat days. As long as they are in moderation and your caloric intake on that cheat day isnt a insane number.

Lol sorry for typing so much. So long story short
    TL;DR: my attitude, bad habits usually led me to the point of breaking diet, or stop eating healthy.
    OP believe in yourself. You are a powerful being! You can do anything you want if you put your mind to it.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    When I have a craving I just wait til the next day and if I still want it I make it fit. I avoid things I know I'll binge on.
    Quitting. I stop and think about whether or not I'm okay with going back. I'm not so I won't.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I remember how horrible I felt physically & mentally before I started. Do not want to go back there. Ever.
  • japveer
    japveer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. It was great to read your posts. I suffer from the same problem. I tend to follow an all-or-nothing approach which tends to be disastrous. If I falter somewhere and eat something which I am not supposed to, then it is difficult to get back on track. I know that moderation is key. But trying hard to implement it.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I just remember the motto I chose for my ticker...

1209329.png
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just look in the mirror and remember why I started to lose weight and eat healthy! :)<3
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I look at it like brushing my teeth or showering. I wouldn't just stop doing either one of those. I don't look at it as a diet anymore, but just what I do each day. I also think about the time I was in the hospital and never want that again.
  • renighorn
    renighorn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I keep a journal. I don't write in it everyday but I try to keep a record of my highs and lows. When I first started MFP I was just trying to stop eating everything in sight. I couldn't even admit that I wanted to lose weight because I was so afraid of failing again. It has taken me 5 months to lose 22 lbs. That may seem slow for some but" slow and steady" has become my motto. I still have 40 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight, but it doesn't seem impossible anymore.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Maybe take the time to consider your goals. Are they realistic? It isn't as much about a diet, as changing your lifestyle. So don't try and make dramatic sudden changes you don't feel like you can live with once the weight is gone. What is your current weight loss goal per week? You could be aiming for something too aggressive, and that can trigger urges to binge eat in some people. (A common problem, I did it myself in the past) Judging by your profile, you probably shouldn't aim higher than .5 a week. Look for people who will be supportive of you. If you ask, some people will happy to add you as a friend here.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Change how you see yourself, and what you see will change.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just look at my family members and remember that NOT being like them is why I got back on the fitness train. But I'm a cynical person...

(my family isn't unsupportive, they are just morbidly obese, if I had a nickel for every time my parents commented on my appearance, fitness or whatever, I could retire early)
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I think about what song I'm going to dance to with my sons at their weddings (they are 5 and 6 now). I think about holding my own grandchildren. I think about the traveling I want to do with my husband when I retire. I know that those things are only a reality if I get my eating and my life under control.
  • ThisIsRae
    ThisIsRae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I take small steps and I don't look at it as "Ugh, I have to do this watch-my-calories-thing for the rest of my life"...which is discouraging to me...but rather as "Hey, today is a new day I get to be aware of my body and what I'm putting into it." When you screw up, which you will, because everyone does, remember that you have the power to make better choices at your next meal. I also try to do something else when my brain gets stuck in this-sucks-I just-want-cookies mode, either look at the forums here, or go for a walk, pick up a book, anything that gets my mind off of the worry that I can't do this for the long term and puts me back in the now. Good luck :)
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I remeber how good I feel when I see a change and think about how great I will feel once I lose more.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    At first it was hard. I had to keep reminding myself that it's a not a diet. I was changing how I ate instead. The fact that this lets me still eat foods I enjoy is the only thing that kept me doing it! Yes, I can't have as much. I can't eat that entire thing of Ben and Jerry's all at once anymore. But I can measure out a serving and feel better about things, so I do. Starting out is hard. I had to bribe myself more than once to get habits established! But now it's a lot easier, and though I have off days, my overall eating habits are much improved.