Backpacking - A hobby for all body types?

Options
So my boyfriend and I are going backpacking in September for the first time. I'm still on my weight loss journey and I'm nervous the added weight of the backpack will be too much for me. Have any of you backpacked before while still being overweight? Any tips?

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    How much ground will you cover? You may want to go on some training hikes to build up to it. Put some weight in your pack and off you go. Apparently, it's the latest fitness trend - called "rucking".
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Definitely do practice hikes. Load your pack as you will load it for your trek. Make sure your pack is fitted properly. Make sure you have proper backpacking boots and break them in before you go.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So my boyfriend and I are going backpacking in September for the first time. I'm still on my weight loss journey and I'm nervous the added weight of the backpack will be too much for me. Have any of you backpacked before while still being overweight? Any tips?

Yes, I backpack quite often. The best thing I can suggest is practice. If you don't have a backpack already, get the one you will be using on your trip ASAP (or borrow one if you will be renting from an outfitter) and fill it with similar items that you will be backpacking with and build up your stamina. There are 2 ways to do this:
    1. Fill it lightly and walk as far as you can or the approximate distance you will be hiking per day. Add more and more weight as your stamina builds
    2. Fill it with the weight you will be carrying and walk as far as you can. Build up your distance as your stamina builds

Some even do a combination of the two. Also, when you walk with your backpack, wear the same boots you will be wearing on the trip.

I can always tell if someone is practicing for a trip because you will see them walking the neighborhood biking trails with a full backpack

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    How much ground will you cover? You may want to go on some training hikes to build up to it. Put some weight in your pack and off you go. Apparently, it's the latest fitness trend - called "rucking".

Never heard of "rucking" but I agree with this. Practice hiking with the weight to see if you can manage.
  • logdog86
    logdog86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I backpack all the time! See my photo if you don't believe me ;) It's certainly a workout but it's important to remember to HYOH...hike your own hike. If you need to take a break, take a break. Backpacking/hiking isn't about speed, it's about enjoying the journey. Try to keep your pack as light as possible (but don't forget essential items - first aid, water, clothes, etc) and take the breaks you need to take to reach your sleeping destination. For your first time try to pick a trail that will challenge you, be worth the journey, but is also an obtainable goal. Dehydrated food is a great way to save weight if you have the means to boil water. Dress and prepare for the weather, but don't over pack. No one is going to care if you wear the same shorts twice. Repackage food (take it out of the box) to save on space if possible. And don't forget some kind of container or bag that you can put it all in and hang up at night to keep the animals away!
    Disclaimer - I'm not a wilderness expert. Just a guy with a decent amount of trips under his belt. Feel free to contact me if you'd like to talk about it some more.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Anyone can do it. Some advice from a prior Infantryman, prior to September you are going to want to put on the boots you are going to wear, put some weight in your pack and walk a few miles a couple times a week. This will allow the muscles in your shoulders, legs, and feet to get stronger. If you just jump into it you will shred your feet.

This is counter intuitive for most people, but when you pack your ruck the heaviest items should be on the top so that they sit centered between your shoulder blades.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I am an experienced and avid backpacker. First rule is to limit your pack weight to NO MORE than 25-30% of your current body weight. Since you are overweight I would suggest lowering that to 20%. (Weigh yourself, get off the scale and put on your packed pack, weigh again. Do the math.).

Second, it depends on how many miles you are trying to hike each day and what your elevation gain will be. I would suggest no more than 3-5 miles each day and 1,000 feet or less of elevation gain.

Third, be flexible. Don't insist on reaching a specific destination each day unless you have to in order to camp near water, to be able to finish your trip within a certain number of days, etc. That way you can stop for the day if you get really exhausted before reaching your goal.

Fourth...FORGET ABOUT DIETING OR COUNTING CALORIES WHEN YOU ARE BACKPACKING! You need to eat well to fuel your body. Make good food choices; plenty of protein and complex carbs, a bit lighter on the fat (hard to digest when you are exercising hard). If you are eating dehydrated meals you don't have as much choice here, but you can govern what you eat for snacks and lunch.

When backpacking I usually have:

Breakfast:
    - 2 packets of plain instant oatmeal, dried fruit, powdered milk, artificial sweetener, instant coffee with powdered creamer.

Lunch:
    -1 piece of pita bread (holds up better than regular bread and fits perfectly into the bottom of a bear canister), canned chicken salad on the bread, a piece of string cheese, dried fruit.

Dinner:
    - Dehydrated meal that contains chicken usually. Love the chicken fajita filling by Mountain House. I split a 2-serving portion with my husband. Tortillas to put the filling on. Instant mashed potatoes if we are still hungry. Instant chicken noodle cup a soup sometimes while the dehydrated meal is rehydrating. Snickers bar for dessert. Sometimes decaf coffee or hot chocolate after dinner, especially if it is cold.

Snacks:
    - I eat almost constantly while on the trail. I always have a snack ready so I can take a bite or two here and there when resting, and especially before any large elevation gain. One of my favorites is a small portion 1/4 cup) of honey-roasted peanuts mixed with raisins. Kind bars and Quest bars are also good. Dry frosted mini wheats are also lightweight and full of nutrients and the sugar you need for energy. Some people love peanut M&Ms, but I prefer something that combines carbs and protein.

If you have any other specific questions please feel free to PM me!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    Anyone can do it. Some advice from a prior Infantryman, prior to September you are going to want to put on the boots you are going to wear, put some weight in your pack and walk a few miles a couple times a week. This will allow the muscles in your shoulders, legs, and feet to get stronger. If you just jump into it you will shred your feet.

This is counter intuitive for most people, but when you pack your ruck the heaviest items should be on the top so that they sit centered between your shoulder blades.

Your comment on where to carry the weight is true for men but NOT for women. Our center of gravity is much lower, so women should carry the heaviest items in the bottom of their pack and close to the body (as opposed to close to the outside of the pack).
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Do not wear baggy shorts. If your thighs rub even a little, friction will ruin your trip.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Do not wear baggy shorts. If your thighs rub even a little, friction will ruin your trip.

And take a tube of Monistat Anti-Chafing gel with you just in case. That stuff is a godsend.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting site with lots of info for beginners.

http://hikingdude.com/default.php
  • bjess8411
    bjess8411 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Hmm, I have been hiking on vacations for several miles and even that was pretty tough for me 20-30 lbs overweight, so I would definitely prepare. I could easily do a two mile hike, but more than that got kind of brutal. Of course, I could stand for hours at an amusement park and walk all around it. Motivation is a definite factor.

• headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Backpacking is really fun! I wouldn’t worry about being overweight during your trip. Just hike your hike; move at your own speed. During long distance hikes people tend separate out by speed, but if you want to hike together I recommend having the slowest person set the pace.

When most people start backpacking they tend to over pack, so try not to fall into that trap. You honestly don’t need to bring much with you. The duration of your trip should really be what determines your pack weight (i.e. how much food and water you are carrying)

Regardless of whether you’re renting or buying a pack learn how to adjust your pack. As you’re hiking your body will get fatigued and you’ll want to shift the load of your pack. There is no magic setting will work throughout an entire day. Ask the sales person about this.

Hiking boots are nice but not always a must. If you’re going to be hiking somewhere that is relatively flat or a well-defined trail tennis shoes may be enough. I usually don’t bring hiking boots if I don’t have to. (this is my personal preference) Hiking boots are super stiff and don’t breath well. If you’re hiking on uneven terrain like a gravelly river bed or hiking up a mountain trail (or you think it is going to rain) I’d wear hiking boots. Folks also like synthetic fabrics when backpacking because they maintain their structure better and hold less water when wet than cotton (you stay warmer and dryer). Also synthetic fabrics tend to have additional UV protection and antimicrobial features. The antimicrobial features are particularly nice on long trips and smelliness is a factor.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    logdog86 wrote: »
    I backpack all the time! See my photo if you don't believe me ;) It's certainly a workout but it's important to remember to HYOH...hike your own hike. If you need to take a break, take a break. Backpacking/hiking isn't about speed, it's about enjoying the journey. Try to keep your pack as light as possible (but don't forget essential items - first aid, water, clothes, etc) and take the breaks you need to take to reach your sleeping destination. For your first time try to pick a trail that will challenge you, be worth the journey, but is also an obtainable goal. Dehydrated food is a great way to save weight if you have the means to boil water. Dress and prepare for the weather, but don't over pack. No one is going to care if you wear the same shorts twice. Repackage food (take it out of the box) to save on space if possible. And don't forget some kind of container or bag that you can put it all in and hang up at night to keep the animals away!
    Disclaimer - I'm not a wilderness expert. Just a guy with a decent amount of trips under his belt. Feel free to contact me if you'd like to talk about it some more.

Just a thought when I read this poster mention water. You could look into buying the Life Straw off Amazon. It's very light weight straw that filters water from surficial sources (lakes, rivers). This would be useful if you intend to keep a river or something nearby on your journey. You might be able to carry less water this way. I've also heard good thing about buying special quick dry clothes. Basically, you wash them every night and they will be dry in an hour or so. That way you can carry fewer clothes/don't have to wait around for them to dry.
  • jenniferp04
    jenniferp04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you guys so much for all of the advice.

I've only ever done 2-4 mile hikes before with no added weight so this has definitely been informative and uplifted my spirits. I'm going to get fitted for my pack this month so I can go ahead and get started on practice runs to build up my stamina.

Any preference on hiking shoes vs hiking boots? I've been looking into the Solomans Speedcross 3 Trail Shoes.
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    The trip we were planning to go on is an overnight 10 miler. So I'm assuming they'd be shooting for 5 a day? Is that too many you think? It says perfect for beginners on the website.
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump for backpacking info. Hubby and I plan to backpack, too. Thanks for the great questions and great answers! :)
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    Thanks losingles!
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    5 miles is a good distance for your first trip.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Any preference on hiking shoes vs hiking boots? I've been looking into the Solomans Speedcross 3 Trail Shoes.

I think the preference is going to be down to yourself. Most will say that on uneven ground you need ankle support, but personally I'm in favour of having strong ankles, and prefer a shoe (usually a minimalist trail shoe) that flexes around rocks. But that's me and MY preference.

Then there's the waterproof issue. Waterproof boots are only as good as the height they stop the water getting in. And if they don't dry fast or let the water out, then there is NOTHING more demoralising than soggy feet (and potentially dangerous). So there is even a school of thought that breathable (ie. non-waterproof but fast drying) is better in some circumstances.

I've not done a lot of hiking with a pack, but a lot of living out of one whilst travelling, and my advice to you is get the smallest pack you can possibly get the minimal essentials in. It will force you to pack light. You're on a one night trip - you only need a single change of clothes, layers to keep you warm and dry, and food/water and medical essentials. You're doing the sensible thing in taking a boyfriend, let him carry the tent ;)

enjoy!!