Couch to 5K...thoughts?

Options
Dmg114
Dmg114 Posts: 47 Member
This time last year I could run a 5k, a 5mile race, I even ran my city's 10 mile race. And then I got tired. And I stopped running. I've just picked up running again a little over a month ago and it is going very slowly and painful. I can run 1 mile but I am definitely a little tired after it. I have ran 2 miles non-stop ONCE since starting running again which was very torturous and painful. So I think I am going to do the Cto5K program and hopefully having a schedule and a plan will help speed up this process. I absolutely do NOT like running...when i'm doing it. But when I am finished running, that is when I feel like a million bucks and I really miss that feeling. I've decided to start at week 3 instead of 1 since I know I can probably run most of the 5k anyway. So by mid July I should have no problem running a 5k! Any success stories for the Cto5K program? Weight loss, inches lost, increased speed..? I am doing this for my own personal goal of being able to run 3miles again without feeling like dying but it would be nice to hear about any added benefits this program may give me as well!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Im on W6 of the program and I couldn't love it more. I started out not being able to run for even 1 minute. I'd nearly collapse and try to regain my breath. It was a struggle. I'm now running for 20 minute long stretches with ease. This program eases you into running and really conditions your body. I've got really toned up doing this and I couldn't be happier with the results.
  • craigh04
    craigh04 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Dmg114
    Dmg114 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks...thats what I was hoping! Right now I've been forcing my running and I was looking to more ease into it instead! And a little toning wouldn't hurt either!
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    exactly what MissAnjy said. I'm on week 6 also, and LOVE it.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    DO IT!! I did it last year....and I was never a runner. The pacing and methodolgy works.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I did my first 20min jog in C25K on friday - that was week 5 day 3 of my programme (there are different versions out there). Never thought I'd jog for that long in a stretch, but I did it!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start next week, so I don't have any success stories yet.
  • thi3
    thi3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did it in the fall. It prepped me for half-marathon training. Couch to 5k to a half marathon in 6 months. It helped me lose about 8 pounds and get way more muscle. Plus BP and resting heart rate are way better. I tell everyone I can about it. I love it and will do it with my daughter this summer.
  • dawnstl
    dawnstl Posts: 91
    Options
    I did this program over 2 years ago. Worked my way up and then 3 months later did my first 1/2 marathon. Been running 1/2 marathons ever since. The program works! Starts you out slow and builds you up. Good luck!!