Running buddy issues. Haha

Options
so... I have a running buddy. She is a "one upper".,, anyone who has a friend like this knows what I am talking about. I'm not trying to be the best at exercising but I would consider myself pretty physically fit at this stage in my journey. We just went for our normal 4:30 am run. I ran 5 miles at an 8:30 pace... She ran 7.5 miles but took a 25 minute break and two hours to run it. Needless to say we didn't run together. Lol..just a question.. Which is more impressive? A consistent "fast" pace or walking, stopping and barely jogging but for longer?

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    so... I have a running buddy. She is a "one upper".,, anyone who has a friend like this knows what I am talking about. I'm not trying to be the best at exercising but I would consider myself pretty physically fit at this stage in my journey. We just went for our normal 4:30 am run. I ran 5 miles at an 8:30 pace... She ran 7.5 miles but took a 25 minute break and two hours to run it. Needless to say we didn't run together. Lol..just a question.. Which is more impressive? A consistent "fast" pace or walking, stopping and barely jogging but for longer?

Neither (haha) is more impressive. I think getting up before the 'crack o' dawn 0 thirty' is impressive. As for the one upper's, let them have their victories.
  • cheflaurawalke
    cheflaurawalke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We are both mothers who run daycares out of our houses so getting up that early to run is the only way we get a good run in. She just always goes right to facebook and posts her "mileage" but leaves out how long it took her. I'm not putting down the fact that she ran that far, don't get me wrong. Lol. I just think there is something to say about how long it takes and the fact that she literally sat and turned her map my run off and took a 25 minute break. Hahaha. Mind blown
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Her achivements are not that relevant for you. Enjoy the fact that you have a friend who enjoy talking *shop* with you. Compare scars and take a chill-pill. She most likely have no idea that you think of her as a *one-upper*. Don´t let her on to that fact. Sing and dance your own tune. - and live and let live.... ;-)
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Oh wow, the turning off the MMR is pretty funny. The question is "How did you know she turned it off?"
  • cheflaurawalke
    Options
    She told me. Ha.
  • cheflaurawalke
    Options
    She said she didn't want it to affect her time.
  • cheflaurawalke
    Options
    I guess I should have mentioned that we are training for a 5 mile race.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    She didn't want 'what' to affect her time? I'm a little confused. Remember, I cannot see your face, or hear you voice inflection. Meaning: a 30 second convo IRL takes 11 pages in MFPland.
  • cheflaurawalke
    Options
    She didn't want the fact that she sat and took a 25 minute break to affect her time.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    She didn't want the fact that she sat and took a 25 minute break to affect her time.

Ah, got it. So, in theory, if I run 400 meters in 1:30, and walk 400 meters, rinse in repeat ( 4 times), it would be like me saying I ran a 6 minute mile when in fact I ran intervals. Makes sense now.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it. You are going for the same race so time will tell whose methods worked the best. You can do two things, one get continually annoyed which could mar your friendship or two, just smile to yourself smugly and get on with what you do.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Haha I think the phrase "normal 4:30 am run" deserves accolades all in itself. I wouldn't worry much about the one-upping and the omission of details on social media (like the 25 minute rest time; does she do this often?!). When you guys do the 5 mile race and you can do it in one go while your buddy is shocked by her time because races don't let you stop the clock... you'll find that your method of training is probably better suited for racing than hers. More impressive? Not necessarily. More appropriate to an event? Absolutely! And then maybe she'll take a page out of your book, and you can start running together doing your runs all in one shot!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    This falls under the "who cares" category.

You worry about you. Let her worry about herself. Who really cares what she posts to Facebook? Does it have any impact on your life or workout? The answer is no, no it doesn't.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    so... I have a running buddy. She is a "one upper".,,

Yet you bring it here?

If you want to compete with her, then compete with her. For me, competition is with myself and improving my performance over time.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I would just go out and enjoy the time running. If you are competitive, go out and very your runs 5 miles today four tomorrow and 8 the next. Built up to a long run of 10 miles or so on the weekend. After you are consistent with this routine you will be ready for a half marathon and you don't pause your app for that! Its a lot of fun too.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    We just went for our normal 4:30 am run. I ran 5 miles at an 8:30 pace... She ran 7.5 miles but took a 25 minute break and two hours to run it. Needless to say we didn't run together. Lol..just a question.. Which is more impressive? A consistent "fast" pace or walking, stopping and barely jogging but for longer?

I am more impressed with your run, to be honest.
    Running 5 miles without stopping is no joke, plus doing it at 4.30am.....well, both of you are to be commended for that alone! ;)
    I've just started running longish distances myself and hope to acheive my first 5k within a couple of months (if all goes well).
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Which is more impressive? A consistent "fast" pace or walking, stopping and barely jogging but for longer?

Plug the respective details into this calculator:

VDot yo!

The person with the highest score wins.

Boom.

Edit: I calculated it myself and that person appears to be you. Huzzah!