HELP! How do I stick to my diet when visiting my parents?

Options
I'm going back to NY for 6 weeks soon and I need some advice on how to stick with everything. My mom is an AMAZING cook, but doesn't always cook things that is going to fit into my new found lifestyle. I have a lot of friends back in NY that are going to want me to go out with them and such. Is there any advice that you guys can give me? I've thought about talking with my mom and letting her know the stuff I can or can't eat or just buying my own food. However, I don't want to offend her or my friends.

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have one word for you: Moderation. There are no foods you "can't" have. You just might need to eat smaller portions of them.

Make sure you stay active, and drink lots of water too, and you'll be fine, and you'll be learning how to tackle ANY situation and still lose (and eventually maintain) your weight.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Also, since you're going to be there for an extended visit, offer to help with cooking some of the meals. I'm sure your mom would appreciate a break, as much as you'll be glad to have more control over what you eat.
  • OntheShrink
    OntheShrink Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can offer up a few ideas.

1. Remember the changes you made in your own lifestyle. You have to live your life everyday. Visiting parents or being at home shouldn't change how much you eat. ( not saying I don't know it does sometimes, but portion control and excercise are always there for us)

2. Offer/ tell you're mom you'd like to cook for her a few times. That way you have an opportunity to give her a healthier lighter meal and you can control the calories for yourself.

3. If your friends want to hang out, why not offer some alternative activities that aren't ABOUT FOOD; such as belly dancing class (you're treat!), or a nice walk in the park. You could pack the lunch and have a picnic instead. If those options aren't fiesable, take walks after you eat, usually no one will say no, especially if the conversation is going well.
  • kateq321
    kateq321 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi beckiluckey

I don't think there is any harm in having your Mums home cooked meals - just have a smaller portion (I find tricks such as using a smaller dinner plate works for me) & try not to go for seconds!!! I find it hard too when I'm in my Mums or my Mother in Laws not to just eat all around me as the food is just so yummy!!

If you're going out with friends for dinner - little things can make a difference such as

1) Asking that there is no bread basket left on the table (this will stop you filling up before you get your starter).
    2) If you have a starter maybe you could just share 1 with a friend instead
    3) Load up on fresh veggies and salad with your main & have things like creamy sauces & dressings on the side rather than poured all over your food. Then you can control how much you use.

Not sure if you drink alcohol - if you do try going for light beers or shorts with slimline tonic or soda water. A glass of wine with your meal is fine too :wink:
  • carterdjohnson
    Options
    That's a difficult one for me to respond to. I've found that when I go out to dinner, or over to people's houses, I allow myself if necessary to go over my caloric budget. It is difficult to calculate how many calories you consume from restaurant food, although I always make attempts; and it's only a bit easier when dining at friends' houses. The rule I use is when in doubt, estimate to the higher end. This is why I find it much easier to cook at home. It also saves me money. I can measure much more accurately and I always know exactly what I consume. I consider it a treat when I go out, so it's not something I can do all the time.

By now, for me, I have a fairly good idea what a cup of this or that looks like, what 50g of this or that looks like, when before I had no idea; so it's become much easier to estimate when I don't actually have a scale or measuring cups. If you don't have that skill yet, then just do your best. Focus on MOST days, not trying to be perfect EVERYday. You have the rest of your life, and six weeks is NOT going to break you. Come on here as often as possible, or enlist friends if you can to join with you. Support is VERY important.

I have a good relationship with my mother, so if I were to tell her what I was trying to do, she'd be supportive of me and do her best not to undermine my efforts. Perhaps, while you're there, you could cook for them there once or twice a week; or, she might allow you to cook for yourself sometimes while you're there. If you cook healthy, fresh, food, you cannot go wrong. You don't have to do this for every meal, but something, anything to keep up the momentum.

It's your life and your lifestyle change; don't hand anyone else the reigns. YOU hold them.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm sure she will be nothing but supportive if you simply explain you are trying really hard to eat healthy to lose weight, and that you want to let her know in advance so you don't cause any upset or offense when you get there. Make it clear it is a medical issue and you aren't doing it to be awkward but for your health.

Offer to do some of the cooking yourself - maybe one meal per day. If she cooks something you aren't happy about eating, take a small tasting portion and have it with salad or veggies - make at least 2/3 of the plate salad and veg and you can't do that much damage! Maybe you can even encourage things like minimised oil use by taking her an oil spray as a sort of gift. STAY AWAY from alcohol, calorie-involved drinks and snacks. They are soooooo easy to fall down on especially when you're a guest and they get offered round. Instead just ask that there is a supply of fruit and salad in the house at all times.

As far as going out goes, stick to spirits with diet mixer for drinks, or very low cal beer. Eat out at places where you can check the nutrition beforehand whenever possible. When it's not possible, request information about the cooking methods used from the waiter, ask for all salad dressings on the side, and ask for a child's portion if other people seem to have a lot of food. I'm sure your friends will be more than happy to save themselves some calories too when you go out and if you explain how much this means to you any good friend would find it impossible to turn down your suggestions.

Mostly though, have an awesome time!
  • Bellarose1014
    Options
    I know how you feel, My Dad is also an amazing cook and my mom loves to bake. But right now its about you. I think its a great idea to speak to your mom and let her know what you are eating... Its also about how to change the food you love to a healthier version. Like if the recipe calls for butter, Use Spray butter instead, or Grilled onions use Pam instead of oil. Lets said you like chicken wings... with hot sauce. Make Chicken Strips, dip them in egg whites and use whole wheat flour and you can use hot sauce with spray butter...

I would buy my own foods, so that you always have something good to eat... But lets say your mom is making your favorite meal...
    Try eating a low cal. breakfast and a low cal. Lunch so that you do have more cals. for Dinner...

I know we don't know one another but I am 32 years old.. I have been over weight for about the last 12 years now and I am on a mission... to get this weight off.... ( KNOW WHAT YOUR GOING TO EAT, FOR THE NEXT DAY) it helps alot...

Stay Strong!!!! YOU CAN DO THIS... Good Luck.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The reason this is working for me, where other diets have failed - (at least so far) - is that I can have ANYTHING. If you have the mobile App - you know how many calories you can have. So, if you want ice cream; fine. Do it in moderation - but just keep your total calorie intake within reason. Going over 1 day won't kill you.

Our bodies are designed for survival; Krispy Kreme, McDonalds and the other foods we enjoy today - simply weren't viable 1,000 yrs ago. So, our bodies learned to store the food for survival.

Today, we know what energy (calories) are in what foods; we know how many calories we burn. You are armed with all the information you could ever need. Use what you know; pick and choose 'how much' and 'when'.

It's all up to you; and how badly you want to get to your goal.
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your awesome advice. I will def. talk to my mom within the next few weeks. I'll let her know that I will help buy the extra fruits and veggies if needed. I'm sure she won't mind if I cook a meal or two a week! As far as my friends are concerned I'll have to start giving them a pep talk about not tempting me while I'm home. When I was living in NY I was going out 3-5 times a week! I can't do that financially now anyway but especially with what I'm doing. I have an awesome friend that has been a huge encouragement to me. I know he won't mind helping me reach my goal!