When did you hit your first plateau?

I'm curious when others have hit their first plateau while trying to lose weight. Was it at a certain point in time or a certain weight? What did you do to get over it and continue losing? Momentum is key in order to keep myself motivated so I'm hoping to keep the steady loss going as long as possible.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,806 Member
    I didn't hit a plateau.

I lost 15 kg in 16 weeks ... and hit my goal.

Then I took a holiday break and maintained for a few weeks. Deliberately stopped logging and tracking etc. while I travelled.

And now I'm down another 1 kg.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    I didn't plateau either. I lost 42 pounds in 5.5 months at a pretty constant rate.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I'm in a plateau now and I know exactly what I need to do: tighten up my logging and get back to exercising
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I'm in a plateau now and I know exactly what I need to do: tighten up my logging and get back to exercising

This!
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    I'm curious when others have hit their first plateau while trying to lose weight. Was it at a certain point in time or a certain weight? What did you do to get over it and continue losing? Momentum is key in order to keep myself motivated so I'm hoping to keep the steady loss going as long as possible.

Weight loss is rarely a straight and steady line. Some weeks are better than others and if you weigh in daily, you will see a lot more up/down fluctuations due to variables such as water retention, time of day, scale precision, etc, etc. Further, it is not at all unusual to have rapid loss the first few weeks (more water than andipose) and then have it slow down to a more sustainable rate. Further, it is possible to gain some muscle mass if you are a beginner at strength training (and by beginner, I mean your body hasn't lifted in a while even if you have much experience at it in life). Muscle is denser than adipose, so you could still be hitting goals you want with little change or even a minor uptick on the scale. Beware, that effect is for beginners only and does not last.

If momentum is a key for you, then I suggest a weigh in once per week at the most. I also suggest you take some body measurements as there are times you may not be happy with the progress on the scale, but you will see progress on the tape measure. Last, make sure you look in the right places when you see yourself. By that I mean you are most likely to see progress in places that started with less adipose such as your calves and forearms rather than problem areas like buttocks and belly. Weight loss isn't targeted - it is body wide so if you lose 2% of your body fat then 2% out of the 1/2 pound in your arms is more visible than 2% of the 20 pounds in belly or buttocks. (obviously those numbers are made up; I have no idea of your individual numbers). I see people get frustrated when they don't see progress in a specific area but results are happening and more visible in other areas.

Last, try not to let fluctuations bother you - focus on the successes rather than speed of progress. If you are patient and consistent in your lifestyle change, it will work.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member

Weight loss is rarely a straight and steady line. Some weeks are better than others and if you weigh in daily, you will see a lot more up/down fluctuations due to variables such as water retention, time of day, scale precision, etc, etc. Further, it is not at all unusual to have rapid loss the first few weeks (more water than andipose) and then have it slow down to a more sustainable rate. Further, it is possible to gain some muscle mass if you are a beginner at strength training (and by beginner, I mean your body hasn't lifted in a while even if you have much experience at it in life). Muscle is denser than adipose, so you could still be hitting goals you want with little change or even a minor uptick on the scale. Beware, that effect is for beginners only and does not last.

If momentum is a key for you, then I suggest a weigh in once per week at the most. I also suggest you take some body measurements as there are times you may not be happy with the progress on the scale, but you will see progress on the tape measure. Last, make sure you look in the right places when you see yourself. By that I mean you are most likely to see progress in places that started with less adipose such as your calves and forearms rather than problem areas like buttocks and belly. Weight loss isn't targeted - it is body wide so if you lose 2% of your body fat then 2% out of the 1/2 pound in your arms is more visible than 2% of the 20 pounds in belly or buttocks. (obviously those numbers are made up; I have no idea of your individual numbers). I see people get frustrated when they don't see progress in a specific area but results are happening and more visible in other areas.

Last, try not to let fluctuations bother you - focus on the successes rather than speed of progress. If you are patient and consistent in your lifestyle change, it will work.

LOL
    tumblr_los1v5wFqh1qijtvg.gif
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    I hit a plateau after about twenty pounds,which took me six months. I call it a plateau but I really need to drop my calories further to see more progress and I'm having a hard time with that. I've been maintaining for a couple of months while lifting heavy but I think I'm ready to push myself out of this "plateau" and lose the last 510 pounds.
  • tbbhealthanista
    tbbhealthanista Posts: 25 Member

Curious about what some other people to get through their plateau. I'm currently in mine at 15lbs on the dot. Makes sense because I have about 20lbs to go so I'm right at that halfway point. I'm just keeping up hope that as long as I create that calorie deficit, the weight will come off. But in the meantime, I'm trying to incorporate more HIIT cardio, cut carbs a little, up the protein and pray ;) lol

Some people say throw a cheat meal in there (just something with a few extra calories but still within the limits of healthy carbs, proteins and fats) to throw you metabolism off in a good way. Not sure if I'm quite responsible enough yet for that! :blush:
  • AngelaAlario
    AngelaAlario Posts: 46 Member
    ljk0615 wrote: »
    ...I'm ready to push myself out of this "plateau" and lose the last 510 pounds.

I giggled.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member

LOL

not sure I understand your response. Adipose is a correct biological term is it not?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    i hit my first plateau when I stopped eating at a deficit.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Oh oops. Yeah 5 - 10 pounds. Lol
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    I had plateau for a period of four months but I wasn't exercising. I was down 20 kgs and wanted 6 more to go and it didn't happen with my 1200 calorie diet. I started eating a little more and enjoyed life for some time then I just added exercise. With exercising, I reached my goal quickly. I'm down 26 kilograms and it took me 9 months.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Started @ 257, had a stall @ 216 for a few months. A project at work boosted my activity dramatically and it picked back up. Realized it was lazy logging.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I lost 44 pounds at a consistent rate. Now I've been on a year and seven month plateau (on purpose).

I say this because plateau is just another word for eating too much (eating at maintenance).

Do you weigh your food?

Do you log everything you eat?

Do you do you own research to ensure you are using accurate entries?

Do you log your exercise? If so, where do you get those calories burns from?
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    I have been in a plateau since starting... hanging in a ~4lb limbo since about a year ago.
  • blazincajun
    blazincajun Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2015
    Started running again in March 2014 after a nine month layoff while remodeling our home. Began to rapidly lose weight until the beginning of November 2014. At that point I was running about 40 miles a week and eating anything I pretty much anything I wanted. For the next six months I stayed at that plateau until I realized that I may not be able to lose those last 10 lbs. I wanted to be at around 145 before I started incorporating speed work into my marathon training for the December 2015 marathon. Beginning in May 2015 I pretty much stopped eating fast food during some of my lunches and stopped the post run apple fritter routine after my longish runs. Also phased in no extra sugar in moderation. The weight has really come off and with the addition of MFP I've been able to get down to 145.5 as of yesterday. Currently running about 47 miles a week. See the below graph.
    hnobzqkv41yd.jpg
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I started losing weight on 1/2/14 and plateaued in late April of that year after losing somewhere between 30 and 35 pounds. Up until that point I had been logging my food but not counting calories. After that I started counting calories, measuring, etc. and that helped me start losing weight again.
  • eshnna
    eshnna Posts: 109 Member

not sure I understand your response. Adipose is a correct biological term is it not?

:| I am confused too.

I hit my first one at 40 days. Lasted almost three weeks. I kept logging and exercising. Then all of a sudden my body got the memo and I lost 2 lbs in a week by doing exactly the same thing I was doing when I was losing .5lbs a week.