New soup recipe anyone?

Options
maayan98
maayan98 Posts: 15 Member
I think I've had almost every type of low calorie soup on the planet. It's a great way to start a meal but I'm getting so bored. I'm trying to find new ideas. What's your favorite soup recipe?

Replies

• JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i make my own i take one box of Swanson low sodium beef stock, 1 medium head of cabbage, 3 medium green bell peppers, 3 medium red bell peppers, and 3 medium yellow bell peppers, and 3 nice size onions, and about 4-5 cups of water. add in some garlic powder, garlic and herb mrs.dash some pepper and some salt to taste and i also bake a whole chicken and remove the skin and bones shred it up and add that too lasts me the whole week if i don't share it lol but people love it so i do :) but i eat it as my meal.
  • maayan98
    Options
    Hmm, sounds good. Will try it this weekend. Thanx
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My very favourite healthy soup!!!! It sounds boring when you see the ingredients, but all the herbs mixed in makes it hearty and flavourful. I find it's actually quite good cold on hot days, too.

Lentil-tomato Soup from The Vegetarian Epicure

2/3 c dry lentils
    4 c water
    1 onion, chopped
    4 carrots, chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    1 c tomato paste
    chopped parsley (2 tbsp)
    garlic (1 clove)
    salt (1 tsp)
    pepper (1/4 tsp)
    thyme (1 tsp)
    dill weed (1/2 tsp)
    tarragon ( 1/2 tsp)
    dry white wine (1/4 c)

Put the first 6 ingredients into a large pot and summer gently for about 3 hours, replenishing water as needed. If you have a taste for it, add a little dry white wine. Then, tasting to see what quantity is right for you, add very small amounts of the herbs and spices. Finally, stir in a cup of tomato paste and let it all heat through.

My mums amounts of herbs and spices in brackets; mum use Sherry instead of wine most times, but I use wine usually.

Enjoy! :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am an absolute soup fanatic. I make them every weekend and freeze them in containers for quick meals. My favorites are:

Spicy Tomato Blue Cheese Soup (I switch out cream for evaporated skim milk) Link

Leftover Roast Chicken w/Roasted Veggies Link

The two above I actually just served at my wedding reception!

Buffalo Chicken Soup Link

Broccoli Cannellini Cheddar Link

Roasted Red Pepper Soup Link

Sun Dried Tomato Soup Link

Chicken Pot Pie Soup Link

Split Pea with Ham Hock (I switch out hock for smoked turkey neck) Link

Curry lentil - which is the exact split pea recipe, but without the ham hock and add in 2.5T curry powder after your vegetables have sauteed.

Carrot Peanut Link

• maayan98
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am an absolute soup fanatic. I make them every weekend and freeze them in containers for quick meals. My favorites are:

Spicy Tomato Blue Cheese Soup (I switch out cream for evaporated skim milk) Link

Curry lentil - which is the exact split pea recipe, but without the ham hock and add in 2.5T curry powder after your vegetables have sauteed.

Carrot Peanut Link

Great recipes. I'll definitely try the carrot peanut one and lentil. Thank you so much
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of soup. My favorites are...

Tomato is classic but I never get tired of it especially when I can get ripe tomatoes and fresh basil (like right now).

Hatteras Chowder is a clam chowder that uses fish stock instead of cream (NE) or tomato (manhattan). You can easily sub in veggie stock for the fish stock though. There are lots of recipes for this choweder, but it I would just start with a Mirepox (2 parts onion, 1 part carrot, 1 part celery - all chopped) sauteed in a bit of veggie oil. Add some diced potato then the stock. Near the end, I would add some fresh herbs of your choosing. Most Hatteras chowders that I have had contain some bacon. I have cooked it with and without bacon - your call. Bacon tastes good, but high in fat so your call. check this out if you want to know more: http://www.carolinadesigns.com/blog/hatteras-island-style-clam-chowder/

Potato-Leek soup is a great base for a lot of different soups. Basically, two potatoes and two leeks diced - bring to boil then cover and simmer for one hour. Insert stick blender to make smooth. I like to roast cauliflower and put half in before blending and leave the other half floating as "chunks" in the final soup. But you don't have to limit yourself to cauliflower - you could do just about any veggie you wanted in there - I just love roasted cauliflower. The soup will fool you if you blend it smooth because you think it has cream in it, but it doesn't.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I love gazpacho in the summer. There are so many different types. The traditional red tomato cucumber style is almost like salsa in a bowl. Then I have had white style that had grapes and cucumber. I have tried green style that had lettuce, spinach and cucumber. All very refreshing for summer.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/07/gazpacho.html

Gazpacho+2.jpg
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Here is another different soup. It is a great starter. I had it in an Italian restaurant then tried making it at home. So good! soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/09/yellow-bell-pepper-soup.html

Yellow+Bell+Pepper+Soup+10.JPG
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is one of my absolute favorites: http://paleomg.com/paleo-creamy-chicken-chili/. I add more veggies (e.g., zucchini, cabbage, and whatever else I have in the fridge) and more stock to make it soupier (is that a word?) than an chili.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Go to Google and type in healthy soup recipes, and you will have more suggestions than you can think of. Try Recipes.com and Allrecipes.com.
  • maayan98
    Options
    Fantastic soups. I hope I can try all of them by the end if this winter. (I'm in the southern hemisphere)
  • angiebugpie
    angiebugpie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    maayan98 wrote: »

Carrot Peanut Link

Great recipes. I'll definitely try the carrot peanut one and lentil. Thank you so much

I must try these.
  • seekerofgood
    seekerofgood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently tried a soup for the first time that I've really gotten stuck on. I make it in my slow cooker and it has kale, sweet potato, onion, chicken etc. It's a curry soup-hope you like curry.
    http://misspattysspices.com/recipe/slow-cooker-curry-soup/
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite

Ingredients:
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    2 lbs boneless chicken breasts (I used three)
    1 ½ cups chopped red onion
    2 chopped red bell peppers
    chicken broth – unsalted (amount depends on how soupy you like it)
    ¼ cup chopped cilantro
    1 Tbsp Cumin
    2 Tbsp chopped chipotle chile in adobo
    6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
    2 (28oz) fire roasted tomatoes
    1 (4 oz) chopped green chiles, undrained
    2 zucchini, chopped
    Salt and pepper

Instructions
    Heat a large skillet and brown the chicken in the olive oil.
    Add everything except the cilantro in the crockpot and stir it up
    Cook on low for 4 hours. Shred chicken and zucchini and cook on low for another hour

*All of that makes the crockpot really full. After I shredded the chicken I added a lot more broth. I also added a bunch of zucchini and put in on high for an hour. If you don’t want to wait the hour, just sauté some zucchini (or any other vegetable) and throw it in. Add the cilantro.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favourites - Southweastern Black Bean Soup http://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/southwestern-black-bean-soup#.VcIZTVKPU1M