I'm 21 and...

Options
Well....here I am. 21 years old and morbidly obese. I have over 150lbs I want to lose and I hate myself for that. At 21 years old I should be able to go out and enjoy my life. Let me rephrase that. I'm 21 years old and although I enjoy my life there is more I want to do with it. I hate the feeling of not being able to shop for cute clothes, wear a bathing suit on the beach, go horseback riding or....have a very intimate relationship with my boyfriend. I know he says he doesn't mind the weight because I'm the person he fell in love with but I'm sure being so insecure and uncomfortable in my own skin is having a huge impact on the lack of intimacy....and I'm sure a lot of you don't want to here it...but it's the way I feel. There is so much I want to be able to do
- Skydiving
- Jetskiing
- Horseback Riding
- Amusement Park Rides

That I just can't do at my size and it scares me. I can't believe I let myself get this far. Here is where the issue with losing weight comes into play. The diet isn't the problem for me...I think I can do that no problem. The issue is my heart. I had heart surgery and I know that my weight is putting a lot of pressure on my heart and I know exercising would make my heart work even harder and the idea of my heart giving out while exercising scares me...terribly.

I'm going to be 22 on August 25th. My boyfriend and I are leaving for vacation to Myrtle Beach on August 22nd. I want to lose 40lbs by then. Is that possible? I hope so. I know I am going to need all the motivation and support I can get in and return will give as much as I can. I'm ready to get this started and I'm ready to start living the life a 21 year old should be living.

Let's help eachother. :)

Replies

• landis2011
    landis2011 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm here for you. friend me if you want.
  • nitashagarcia
    Options
    awwww! im sorry! i do believe you have got this! put your mind to it, but do it at your own pace! maybe you should contact your doctor and see what you can do! i have severe asthma and its hard in general to exercise! you just need to know what YOU need to do so you dont hurt yourself! :( add me! <3
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You can safely lose about 2lbs per week, however just starting out, you may lose more. When i first started I lost 5lbs my first week. and then like 3 the next and 3 or so the next.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I've been in similar shoes and it's tough, but we're on the right path now so we should focus on that. As far as losing 40lbs by August... that's a lot of weight to lose in two months - you might be able to do it, but I think you'd be better off setting a more reasonable goal and being happily surprised if you happen to lose more. If you "only" lose 30lbs by then you'll be so disappointed you didn't reach your goal you might give up despite that being a significant weight loss!

As far as exercise you should absolutely speak to your doctor about your options. He/she may suggest you stick to a lower diet plan and lose some weight before you start any strenuous exercises, or just have you start with a 30 minute walk everyday.

Best of luck! If you need a buddy you can friend me :)
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hae you talked to your Doctor about a diet and excercise plan that is safe for you to start out with. Being that you are scared that would be my first step. Good luck on your journey!! Feel free to friend me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Because of your heart surgery you should work with your doctor to formulate a diet and exercise plan that will work for you without causing damage. Because of your medical history a nutritionist and/or fitness trainer may even be covered by insurance if your doctor makes a referral.
  • skizzizme
    skizzizme Posts: 14
    Options
    You can do this. Start small, walking or stationary bike. I broke my back and have only just started to be able to move easily (after 4 years of sedintary). This is the best site for support and motivation!

7034275.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You made a huge step towards success my dear! I'm 22, and came on here with 75 pounds to lose in April. I'm down almost 17 pounds today. I understand you insecurities. It took my husband almost a year before he could convince me to have sex with my shirt off!!!! As for your heart and exercise, I would talk to a doctor and get everything checked out and have him/her clear you for exercise just to put your mind at ease. Also, take it slow at first. Take 15 min walks here and there during the day and slowly increase the time at the end of each week. Good luck and feel free to add me if you'd like the support!
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat.... I am 23 years old and weigh 285 pounds (down from 309, still chugging away when I'm not horribly discouraged.) add me as a friend so we can support eachother :-)
  • princessekrystale
    Options
    Generally, people who are bigger lose weight faster than smaller people. And as you go it becomes harder and harder to lose every pound.
    But, I believe if you really put in some effort ... you CAN lose the 40 pounds you want to before that date.
    Of course, because you cannot exercise ... you have to make awesome food choices and lots and lots of protein (protein shakes, bars, as well as a lot of fish and meat).
    Stay away from anything white, lol ... and by that i mean sugar, white rice, pasta, etc ...

Take a look at this also
    http://stronglifts.com/20-super-foods-you-need-to-build-muscle-lose-fat/

Good, good, good luck on your journey!!!
  • trianaw
    trianaw Posts: 177
    Options
    Start by planning to drink at least 1 gallon of water per day. Some health professionals suggest that we drink a minimum of half of our body weight. Drink green tea in the morning for energy and a metabolism boost. Eat salads w/dark green leafy lettuce & other fresh vegetables. Use olive oil & lemon juice w/pepper. Start walking w/2-3/lb weights & you should see the pounds drop. But stay away from fast food & processed foods. If you have to have it then cook whatever it is @ home.

I will send you an inbox message.
  • Macy_R
    Macy_R Posts: 91
    Options
    Hey :) A great first step that you've already completed is joining this site :) There are groups you can join that hold you accountable to complete activities (just search in the motivation and support section of the board), the food diary will shock you at first because you'll realize that you aren't eating the right things and each day you learn something new, and the people on here make you feel good when you ae down and they make you feel AWESOME when you accomplish something! I've only been on here for a week and I lost one pound and people were very supportive of me!

In order to reach your goal of 40 pounds by August you're going to have to work really hard and stay motivated and this site will help you :)

Add me if you'd like! I'm a great supporter!! :)
  • hmiller2011
    hmiller2011 Posts: 28
    Options
    i agree with nitashagarcia- definitely talk to your doctor about this so you can get to your goal safely! let us know how it turns out! add me,if you'd like :)
  • jamiiiii
    jamiiiii Posts: 11
    Options
    We share the same birthday! (Though I am year older... )

And we also share some of the same motivation. My boyfriend says the same thing, that he loves me no matter my size because he loves me for who I am. But I also feel like my weight does have an effect on our relationship, mostly because I am uncomfortable with it. Being uncomfortable with your body is bound to take a toll, in any relationship.

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to send me a message. :D

I definitely agree with the above advice though, I would just focus on eating healthier for now, and make an appointment with your doctor to ask about which exercises he would recommend for you considering your medical history.
  • aljohnson2
    aljohnson2 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the encouragement and friend requests! I think this is going to be the perfect step to the rest of my life... a happier and healthier one! :)