Calories for Breakfast

Options
How many calories do you average for breakfast?

Replies

• glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    About 300.

I eat either a bowl of cereal or porridge with a piece of toast and a few grapes. It sets me up until lunch. If I'm doing an intense workout like kickboxing I'll eat two pieces of toast and a sunny side down egg (pan fried with 1cal spray).
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Last 3 logged days- - - -876, 513, 912. So, about 765.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Weekdays are usually 300-450. Weekends are more like 500-700. *kitten*-it days tend to hover around 1300 - that Waffle House is a calorie killer. :smile:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    120-150 weekdays, 300-500 weekends.
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I average about 500-700 of my typical 2200-2500 calorie day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It really varies, but if I had to guess at an average...325.

I like a bigger breakfast much more now. I used to skip them or have smaller ones. Now, it's sometimes my biggest meal of the day.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    120-150 weekdays, 300-500 weekends.

This too. Sometimes on the weekends I'll get up to 700-800, but I prefer around 500. Weekdays its always low cause I like to eat snacks at work. Forces me to get outta my chair.

• slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    300-350 of my 1200 cal plan (but I usually eat back 1/2 of my exercise cals so it's really 300-350 or approx 1500 cals)
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    A regular weekday for me is 450-500 calories for breakfast.

2 eggs, multi-grain English muffin with cream cheese, and either 2 strips of bacon or 2 sausage links.

My normal calorie split is ~ 25% breakfast, ~25% lunch, 30-40% dinner, and the other 10-20% is spread out over the course of the day ( snacks and drinks ).

Sunday tends to be a brunch or over-sized lunch, because its a morning gym day ( and weigh in ), so i dont eat til after 11 am usually.

Saturday mornings I don't always eat, depending on hunger level and how late I sleep, its my one day with no alarm clock.
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    About 25% of my daily calories. I'm guessing that a percentage is probably a more helpful answer to your question. Breakfast also accounts for about 30% of my carbs, 25% of my fat, and 20% of my protein.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    i average about 180-230...but then I also usually have a snack like less than hour later so...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Typically between 250 and 500. Sometimes more. Totally depends how hungry I am.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Depends whether I eat breakfast or not... but when I do, I could do as little as 250 to as much as 600 calories. Depends on what I'm craving. :blush:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Last 3 logged days- - - -876, 513, 912. So, about 765.

Show off!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When I eat breakfast, usually 400ish.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Of my 1500 cals, during the work week I usually split my breakfast into to 2 mini meals that average about 300 cals per meal. On the weekends I rarely eat breakfast.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    500-700
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Usually around 300. Sometimes I'll have a bigger breakfast -- eggs, bacon or ham, toast, and that gets me to around 500, but then I don't need a morning snack.
  • ktsjourney
    ktsjourney Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    300 max really! I'm not usually that hungry on a morning
  • CaptBligh001
    CaptBligh001 Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Like a lot of people at one time I would regularly skip breakfast, I had originally thought the old saying regarding breakfast being the most important meal of the day had been nothing more than marketing hype started by the breakfast foods industry...

That is until I discovered that there was actually quite a bit of credible research by well respected universities showing that people who routinely skipped breakfast significantly increased their risk for diabetes and heart disease as well as substantially increasing their risk of becoming obese. Some of the studies backing up these findings spanned over 16 years and tracked over well over 30,000 people.

After that I made an effort to start eating breakfast, the real challenge was what to eat and how much. Over the last year and a half I've lost over a 100 pounds and went from a wheel chair to walking 10 miles a day and to the astonishment of my doctors I managed to run my first mile after being told I would be lucky to ever walk without a cane.

The reason I bring this up is that instead of asking others how much you should eat and what you should eat for Breakfast maybe you should start learning how to listen to what your own body is telling you.

I went through life never realizing all the clues my body was giving me, that is until I started keeping a food journal. That's when I started realizing that certain foods made me feel like crap it also taught me how much to eat.

I learned that If I don't eat Breakfast that I will end up losing control of my caloric intake for the day because I end up snacking and all the snacking in the world doesn't get rid of the cravings. I don't understand why but eating breakfast seems to eliminate the cravings that cause me to tear the kitchen apart searching for just the right snack.

As for calories I like to keep breakfast in the 300 calorie range, usually whole grain cereals and fruit work the best ( By the way My mom is rolling over in her grave right now) AT one time I had what they call a savory palette, I wouldn't touch fruit or cereals for breakfast, it was bacon, sausage or steak and eggs or nothing. I would tell people I'm not a chipmunk or a rabbit so keep the squirrel food off my plate. Eventually life got too busy and I stopped eating Breakfast all together.

Anyhow fats forward a few decades and I've learned that eating heavy breakfasts make me feel like crap all day and that fruits and cereal seem to energize me, For example today I had nothing but an orange and a banana for breakfast and then did a 100 pushups waiting for my coffee to brew. BY the way I also learned that sweetened coffee creamer makes me feel like garbage not to mention some other deleterious effects in the bathroom, of course this should come of no surprise after reading the list of ingredients on the label, How they can label some of these chemical cocktails as "Coffee Creamer" is perplexing to say the least. Anyhow I now only drink freshly brewed black coffee after grinding the beans myself.

There are no magic pills, This is what works for me, your mileage may vary. Like I said, its probably best to learn to listen to your own body and don't confuse that with caving into cravings. When I say listen to your body, I mean take note of how you feel and perform after eating certain foods and experiment with the effects consumed quantity may have.