Starting to run

Options
Does anyone have any apps they would suggest for a beginner? I have heard a lot about C25K but was wondering if theres any others, or if people didn't use any guide, how did you structure it?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Some people can just do a 5K within a few weeks of starting running. However, I would highly advise that you try the C25K program. If you're finding it too easy, then maybe it is not for you.

In my experience, I did the first 2 weeks of C25K and thought it was too easy. I just jumped right into a 5K after that.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of training programs. I like the Zombies Run 5K program because I like the story aspect.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Dariasen wrote: »
    I like the Zombies Run 5K program because I like the story aspect.

That sounds fun.
    I'll check that one out.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    5K Runner Pro is a good app, especially for a beginner.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother, I just went for a run (making sure to keep it nice and slow, like not even 50% faster than walking), ran till I felt the need for a little break (approx 2k), had a short walk to recover, and then started running again when I felt like I could (another 2k). I didn't bother with the walk break the second time. It depends how easy or hard you find it really, and how fit you are already.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Actually, I didn't have a smartphone then anyway so I'd have had to write down the training programme and use a stopwatch, old-skool style. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I started running after completing insanity, so I had a decent level of fitness - I just started with running 2 miles at a manageable speed, and built up from there running 3 x a week.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of training programs. I like the Zombies Run 5K program because I like the story aspect.
    <-- second this app...the story really makes it fun to go for a run...feels less like a workout and more like your an actor in a movie :)
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    <-- second this app...the story really makes it fun to go for a run...feels less like a workout and more like your an actor in a movie :)

I love when I forget I'm in the real world and start looking for imaginary objects or running in fear. Anyone on the trail with me must think I'm a lunatic.
  • dillonsmama
    dillonsmama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using C25k and like it so far. Zombies sound fun too. I've never run before in my life... im on my third week of c25k and now the inner parts of my knees seem inflamed and hurt...any suggestions? I warm up walk and stretch. I ran through the pain yesterday. I think my body is adjusted to running, so I could keep running if it weren't for the pain. Ouch
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any apps they would suggest for a beginner? I have heard a lot about C25K but was wondering if theres any others, or if people didn't use any guide, how did you structure it?

If you are in relatively decent shape to begin with, don't have joint/flexibility/back issues of note, and don't have a lot of weight burdening you (by your profile this sounds like you) then C25K might seem too gentle an introduction.

Essentially what you want to be doing is starting off slowly, meaning:
    • Ensure you have rest days; don't run every day. 3 times a week is reasonable
    • Run slowly; new runners often aren't aware that most training even by distance pros is done at a relatively slow pace. The focus is on building endurance - your aerobic capacity - and you most effectively do this by running slower but progressively longer. Your pace should allow you to talk to someone without gasping; if you can't do that, slow down more.
    • Build distance gradually; if you can run 2km this week don't jump to 5km next week.
    • Don't forget warm up (so called active stretching, a slow start or walk - limber up) and post-run stretching (worthy of a thread on its own)

For me one of the most important things to do is avoid injury because I don't want to be sidelined -- I've been there, done that. Listen carefully to your body. Especially for the first several months your body is getting used to the time on your feet and it will become progressively more resilient and stronger. Don't try to jump start the process and risk injury.

Where to start depends on your base level of fitness. If you can already run 5km without stopping, at a pace that allows you to carry on something of a conversation aloud (with yourself or a running partner) then where you'll start is different than someone who can't run 1km without stopping more than once and has a hard time running slow enough to be able to talk.

There are tons of on-line resources for 5km training plans

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/5k-training-plans
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50932/5K-Training-The-Most-Popular-Racing-Distance

If you find you like running from the get-go, another approach is to use a 10km training plan.

Whatever you end up doing, take it easy and have fun!
  • smalltoongirl
    smalltoongirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

If you are in relatively decent shape to begin with, don't have joint/flexibility/back issues of note, and don't have a lot of weight burdening you (by your profile this sounds like you) then C25K might seem too gentle an introduction.

Essentially what you want to be doing is starting off slowly, meaning:
    • Ensure you have rest days; don't run every day. 3 times a week is reasonable
    • Run slowly; new runners often aren't aware that most training even by distance pros is done at a relatively slow pace. The focus is on building endurance - your aerobic capacity - and you most effectively do this by running slower but progressively longer. Your pace should allow you to talk to someone without gasping; if you can't do that, slow down more.
    • Build distance gradually; if you can run 2km this week don't jump to 5km next week.
    • Don't forget warm up (so called active stretching, a slow start or walk - limber up) and post-run stretching (worthy of a thread on its own)

For me one of the most important things to do is avoid injury because I don't want to be sidelined -- I've been there, done that. Listen carefully to your body. Especially for the first several months your body is getting used to the time on your feet and it will become progressively more resilient and stronger. Don't try to jump start the process and risk injury.

Where to start depends on your base level of fitness. If you can already run 5km without stopping, at a pace that allows you to carry on something of a conversation aloud (with yourself or a running partner) then where you'll start is different than someone who can't run 1km without stopping more than once and has a hard time running slow enough to be able to talk.

There are tons of on-line resources for 5km training plans

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/5k-training-plans
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50932/5K-Training-The-Most-Popular-Racing-Distance

If you find you like running from the get-go, another approach is to use a 10km training plan.

Whatever you end up doing, take it easy and have fun!

Thanks! This is a lot of useful information! The beginning bit is basically me, but if i'm honest i'm not in that good of shape and i'm only looking to lose about 5lb maybe a bit more. My main goal is to get back into shape after years of doing nothing. Tomorrow i'll try C25K and see how it goes and take it from there!