Im tired of being fat....................

Options
kezell83
kezell83 Posts: 112 Member
I am a 28 year old mother of three. I am an insurance agent, which means I sit down all day long. I used to be very active and was always outside. But after I got an office job, and had children, that active lifestyle went out the door. I know, not an excuse. But I am here now. i want to make a change. I see my bad eating habits rubbing off on my kids. And I am ready to make a lifestyle change. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I have bought the Zumba and the P90X (which was crazy on my part, way to hard for a beginner) I am honestly trying.

Replies

• rrtnat
    rrtnat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi I am also new, we sound similar i am also a mother of three and i see my kids always wanting the junk food i dont want that for them, so i know were you are comming from. I also bought zumba it is alot of fun and makes time go by fast my legs hurt real bad at first but i hope it helps. I think that it sounds like you are taking the first steps and I am sure that you will make it. I wish you the best of luck.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Zumba and P90X are great workouts. Just go at your own pace and not totally "balls" out in the beginning. You don't want to get discouraged!! Have fun with it!!

You will get a ton of support here!! Welcome and good luck!
  • laurenkathryn
    Options
    I am not sure if you have a Wii, but I do the Instant watch workout videos on Netflix and just stream them to my TV. I like the Ellen Barrett workouts- I think they are pretty good for a beginner. I also like the Crunch workouts. Previously I bought a workout DVD, but gave up b/c it was too hard. I have been doing the instant watch workouts for about 9 months now so they have gotten a bit easier. Also your library may have some workout videos so you can test them out. Good luck!
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Try P90 if you're not ready for P90x! My plan is to work from P90, then go to P90 Masters Series and then try P90X......maybe.... all that "plyo" stuff looks like it'd be super hard on the knees.

You sound like me - except I only have one baby @ 28 :-)
    Office job... Sick of being flabby.

You can do it!

BTW - feel free to friend me if you want! I have my ups and downs but I'm def in this for the long haul.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I was tired of being fat too and made a decision at the beginning of this year to be fit and fabulous by the time I turn 50 in October. I've lost 24 lbs since 01/31/11 and am well on my way to meeting my goal before my birthday. This site has been the reason for my success so far. I think you'll really love it and get good results. MFP friends are awesome -- so encouraging, inspirational and just really beautiful, caring individuals.

Have fun and good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You will like it on MFP. There is great support. A recommendation that I have (take it or leave it :smile: but it worked for me).... DON'T TRY TO DO IT ALL AT ONCE. Suddenly eatting better, exercising, etc... It will be too much and you will get discouraged too easily. Start out by watching what you eat (that's pretty hard in itself). Do this for a month (or so).... Get past any cravings, hunger, etc... and learn how and what to eat. You will get psyched as you see the number on the scales go down and you will want to start toning up the body. Throw some exercise into your daily routine. Walking is an overall body workout and is great for you. Whatever you do, start gradually and work your way up to more advanced. Don't kill yourself and get discouraged because you will be more likely to fall off the wagon.

I have 5 kids and have two desk jobs (working 13.5 hours a day and 2 hours drive time) each day (Mon-Fri). It's not easy, but it is so worth it. This is the first summer in about 15 years that I am looking forward to summer outfits!

Good Luck!
  • bookmom3
    bookmom3 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I just found this site - and like you, I'm ready to make a change. I have done WW, with success, but I honestly don't want to pay for the program or the on-line support. So, I'm hoping this community provides the support system of WW. I like the food and exercise diary and that I can use the App on my phone to keep track.

Like others have said....slow change is the most effective. My problem is that once I achieve a goal weight, I let myself relax and before I know it the "bigger" clothes are being pulled out of the office.

I am 40 and I hope to lose 50 pounds in the next 18 months. For me, the summer will be easy - the daylight hours makes it easier to get out of bed to work out. There are more healthy and delicious fruits and veggies at the market. It is the winter that is so tough for me!

Best of luck - and I'm happy to join you on this journey if you are looking for a pal to help encourage you along the way.

Sherri
  • kezell83
    kezell83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of your responses. Thank you so much for the encouragement. My husband is health conscience. But he will not help me with this transformation. He has someone that works out with him, and that is the hardest. Working out by yourself. I am really looking forward to giving and receiving support. A family friend told me about this site.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out on my own. I find it annoying having to rely on someone else... or wait for them, or whatever.

Try to find something that motivates you from within too.

For me it's having the P90 schedule. I've made a commitment that I'm going to complete every one of the 90 days. I put up the calendar and I cross each one off. That gives me an enormous amount of satisfaction and motivates me to keep going.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Welcome! You will like it on MFP. There is great support. A recommendation that I have (take it or leave it :smile: but it worked for me).... DON'T TRY TO DO IT ALL AT ONCE. Suddenly eatting better, exercising, etc... It will be too much and you will get discouraged too easily. Start out by watching what you eat (that's pretty hard in itself). Do this for a month (or so).... Get past any cravings, hunger, etc... and learn how and what to eat. You will get psyched as you see the number on the scales go down and you will want to start toning up the body. Throw some exercise into your daily routine. Walking is an overall body workout and is great for you. Whatever you do, start gradually and work your way up to more advanced. Don't kill yourself and get discouraged because you will be more likely to fall off the wagon.

I have 5 kids and have two desk jobs (working 13.5 hours a day and 2 hours drive time) each day (Mon-Fri). It's not easy, but it is so worth it. This is the first summer in about 15 years that I am looking forward to summer outfits!

Good Luck!

I agree completely... That's how I started... I changed my diet and got used to that.. It took about a month. Then I started exercising. 3 days a week for about 2 weeks, then I lost my mind and started working out 6 days a week. I've been doing that for 3 1/2 months and I love it. Just take it slow and you'll get to where you want.
  • jambs5
    jambs5 Posts: 114
    Options
    Hi,
    Me too...I'm tired of being fat and want to be fit. I started on 5/13/11 and lost 5#s so far. I believe right now I am building up muscle, as my arms and legs feel more firm/toned. I'm a mom of 5 children, ages 10-21 yrs old and want to be a role model for them. Right now my cardio workouts consist of usibng Tony Little's Gazelle (similar movements to cross country skiing), a stationary bike, walking, tossing around the pigskin, and shooting hoops. I do some weight strengthening exercises as well, like lifting weights (2-8#s), leg lifts, crunches (using the ab lounge 2), and so on. Please anybody reading this if you want more friends for support and encouragement, feel free to add me. Have a great day.