PCOS/Hashimotos Macros?

Options
conqueringsquidlette
conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Heya, I've been trying to get preggers and haven't had any luck. Have been gaining an insane amount of weight over the last couple years without doing anything drastically different with my diet. Fertility clinic's diagnosed me with PCOS with insulin resistance and Hashimoto's and put me on 1500mg Metformin and 10mg Synthroid and told me the weight should start melting off me but it's not. I've put on five pounds this week. I'm hoping to get this under control so I can have IVF done under as optimal a set of conditions as possible.

Anybody out there have this delightful combo of metabolic issues and has a macro setup that works well for them? I'm not sure if I should stick with MFP's default or try something a bit lower carb. I'm a bit hesitant to go straight to keto or whatever because I know that trying to dramatically change everything all at once like that will have me falling off the wagon very quickly. Not to mention, I'm not sure at all how trying something so low carb on Metformin would feel.

I need to exercise too, but I have no energy whatsoever and fall off of everything I start in that department within a month. :/ That's a topic for another thread, however.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't have Hashimoto's but I do have PCOS. There is a huge span between keto and MFP defaults and my best suggestion is to pick something in the middle and then adjust your carbs up or down from there. Keep in mind that your overall calorie level (as in how many calories you eat versus how many you burn) is going to be what determines your weight loss/gain/maintenance. If you have PCOS, your bmr is going to be lower, meaning that the number of calories it takes to just keep you going is going to be lower than somebody without PCOS. But if you up your activity level you will find that you can eat more while losing.

The most important thing in all of this is taking responsibility for your food and activity choices. Don't blame your weight gain on PCOS or Hashimoto's. It's really up to you and what you put in your mouth.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have those issues and more. I've lost 91 pounds. You need to MOVE for the weight to fall off.

You can eat a lower/moderate carb diet without going to full-blown keto. I lose best around 70G carbs per day. 100G/day is OK for maintenance. Any more than that and I tend to gain weight unless my calorie count is extraordinarily low for the day.

Track carefully and see what works for you.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was looking for actual numbers so thank you, azul.