Suggestions on food intake to buils mucles?

Options
FemininGuns
FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
*UGH* Having a difficult time knowing what the 'right amount' of calories (and micronutrients) is good to have to build muscle... Anyone have a formula? I don't want to continue restricting (this is what I do when I panick about making menu choices), I want to build build build!!!

To put this in perspective: I recently competed and the diet is restrictive... This is what I revert to cause I know exactly what to eat and how much and I know I won't gain weight... But this doesn't contribute to muscle gain (so I've read)...

Any feedback would help! Thanks :)

EDIT: topic should say "build muscle" and not "buils muscle" lol!

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have heard you cannot build muscle eating at a deficit either, so I am bumping to see if you get any good advice...
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    OK, I have a friend who is a nutritionist and bodybuilder. I believe she's in the cutting phase now. When I trained for my most recent triathlon, she helped me build 7 lbs. of muscle without putting on an OUNCE of fat!

Her blog is www.nutritionwithcatherine.org

I believe she has email information, and she's always been more than helpful to me. Best of luck!
  • FemininGuns
    Options
    OK, I have a friend who is a nutritionist and bodybuilder. I believe she's in the cutting phase now. When I trained for my most recent triathlon, she helped me build 7 lbs. of muscle without putting on an OUNCE of fat!

Her blog is www.nutritionwithcatherine.org

I believe she has email information, and she's always been more than helpful to me. Best of luck!

Wow! Thanks :)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Well this is from my 16 year old son who is into natural body building:

You need to eat more protien to build muscle. But you also have to eat more complex carbs to fuel the workout that is necessary to build the muscle.

My son is not a bulky body builder either, in fact he is only 5' 6" and 145lbs. But he benches over 280 and has a verticlce leap of over 42".
    He is as cut as a young man can be. He helps me with my workouts also.

You can't eat at a deficit and build muscle, your body will use the muscle as energy if you don't have enough caloires.

Hope this helps.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    you need to take in extra cals to build muscle.

up your protein intake and lift heavy. :)
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    the book Sugar-Busters is fantastic! low carb, no to low sugar, whole grains (no enriched flour).
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Not true. It is hard but it is possible. I gained 8lbs of muscle while under a deficit.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    *UGH* Having a difficult time knowing what the 'right amount' of calories (and micronutrients) is good to have to build muscle... Anyone have a formula? I don't want to continue restricting (this is what I do when I panick about making menu choices), I want to build build build!!!

To put this in perspective: I recently competed and the diet is restrictive... This is what I revert to cause I know exactly what to eat and how much and I know I won't gain weight... But this doesn't contribute to muscle gain (so I've read)...

What is your macros and do you have an open diet? are you willing to keep your diet the same every day for the most party minus a cheat meal if that?
  • caat1rules
    caat1rules Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle you got to eat, and eat BIG. Make sure your eating about your body weight in grams of protein and you must not be in a deficit. During your building cycle you can’t worry about putting on a little fat. You can always cut that after you are satisfied with your bulk. “gotta eat to grow”
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

Not true. It is hard but it is possible. I gained 8lbs of muscle while under a deficit.

I gain muscle under a deficit...but i'm a freak of nature.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My macro ration of choice is 40/25/35 c/f/p. I'm not eating in a deficit, but I am doing a cyclical diet to drop bf while gaining lbm. As far as the ratio, you mess with it to see what you prefer. I was at 50% carb and 15% fat, but I'm liking this better. As far as the scale #- if you're adding lbm and not dropping fat simultaneously, the number will grow. I'm sure you know generally you add fat with muscle, but it doesn't have to be that way. What you've been doing seems to be working though?
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    My macro is 50/35/15. I consume close to 300 grams of protein a day, on average im about 270 though. 140-170 carbs and I dont even watch fat as I know I am always low.
  • FemininGuns
    Options

What is your macros and do you have an open diet? are you willing to keep your diet the same every day for the most party minus a cheat meal if that?

I am not sure what you mean to an "open diet" ... If you mean "will you eat whatever it takes, as long as it's clean" then Yes! I already keep my diet pretty much the same and assess for a cheat meal on a weekly basis - if I don't feel that I need it, I don't take it... If I don't take it, then I treat myself to some frozen yogurt once a week... My diary is open for viewing.

Macro is currently at 25/45/30 c/p/f
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing. I just recently switched to a more Paleo diet but I don't know what my macro should be. Right now I have my diary set to 25% Carbs=75mg, 40% Fat=47mg, 35% Protein=120mg. I usually end up eating more protein and not enough fat. I have only been doing this for just over a week and have lost 4-5lbs. I just dont want to lose muscle!!

Thanks for posting the question FemininGuns!! You are doing great, BTW!! :)
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options