43 year old mom of 3, can't lose the 15 lbs I've put on in the last 3 years.

Options
Hi, I'm hoping some other 40 something success stories will respond with what has worked for y'all. I do cardio 3-5 times a week, strength train 2 x a week, eat @1400 calories and can't budge below 147; I'm 5ft 6 and look and feel much better at 132lbs. I had my fat analysis done at my local Y and was disgusted that I am 30% fat and my BMI has gone from 22 to 24. I want to lose this flab by my birthday at the end of October. i'm thinking of going on a paleo diet, any thoughts? My biggest downfall is wine; I have one or 2 glasses daily and I go postal on my husband and kids if I try to go without it:) Please don't judge, just offer advice. Thanks!

Replies

• KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi, you've got this! Feel free to add me!
  • eryndon
    eryndon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in a similar position as you. 46 yrs old, 5'2", 136 lbs & 30% Bf. I do circuit training and hiking 5 days a week and the weight has been just creeping up steadily over the past year. So I started using MFP seriously at the end of June logging in my food every day and managed to lose a couple pounds and really learned how I much or what I can eat if I want to accomodate my nightly glass of wine. This Tuesday I just started getting super serious and am dieting for the next 4-6 weeks to get a jump on the process. It's going pretty well so far and the scale is going down everyday, Woohoo! I'd love to support you and have some to keep accountable to.
    You can totally do this!

P.S. I love Lyle McDonalds " A Guide to Flexible Dieting" this has really helped me. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/store/
  • robjenmac
    robjenmac Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will check that site out. I know we can do this, I am serious about these 15 lbs before my birthday! It's so crazy that metabolism after 40 comes to a screeching halt; I eat less now than I did at 39 and weigh 15 lbs more, grrrr!!!
  • trlynne0220
    trlynne0220 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is something about the late 30's that kills the metabolism!!!
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just turned 40 this year and my metabolism is so not what it was, ugh. And I'm with you on nightly glass of wine. I'm flexible with just about everything but my coffee and wine!!! Good luck
  • robjenmac
    robjenmac Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Since I last posted in July I have gained another 5 lbs! Today I am beginning a serious 5 month weight loss journey to lose these 20 lbs that have crept on since turning 43! My goal is to be 130lbs by my 45th birthday and to treat myself to a whole new wardrobe, anyone care to be an accountability partner? My plan of attack is to rid 400 calories a day through cardio/strength training and eat 100 fewer calories than I normally eat which would put me at a pound a week weight loss. I am already eating only 1250-1350 calories a day and the weight hasn't budged! I will continue to have my one glass of wine at night but for now will only eat one dessert a week and cut way back on carbs. I am 5ft6 and currently weigh 150. I'd love to hear from someone who also has 20 or so pounds to lose and wants it gone by Halloween!
  • aliciapastorlecha
    aliciapastorlecha Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!!! Feel free to add me , I can help you if you need me too!
  • angieruppelsouva
    angieruppelsouva Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 47. After the birth of my fourth child who is 11 now I struggled. Roller coaster ride. I don't really believe in "diets" because that what tends to bring me up and down. I would love to be able to support others with this same dilemma. Feel free to request me.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Are you logging accurately (including wine)? Weighing your food? Your exercising so your metabolism should be; at least, active.
  • DVall30
    DVall30 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Upping your calories might help since your very active. By more calories i mean a clean high protein meal to help fuel your recovery