Am I the only one?

Options
Anyone else find its easier to loose weight when you dont try so hard to diet? I exhaust myself dieting, I find that if I just watch what I eat, and use small portions and just exercise because it makes me feel better then ill loose weight, but if im constantly worrying about food or dragging myself out of bed to exercise because I have to then I find its harder to loose weight and then the stress starts and the exhaustion.

Im down 22lbs, I have 50lbs to go but im not going to continue to stress myself over it. I exercise because it makes me feel good, it gives me energy, it takes away my anxiety and of course it helps with weight loss but im not looking at it that way anymore. Ive also learned that I dont have to deprive myself of junk. Its ok in moderation and if im doing the recommended number of meals a day in small portions it helps instead of stressing about what I can or cannot eat.

Im not sure if I made sense here, but does anyone else feel the same way? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Nope you're not the only one. Keep up the good work you're doing great!!:flowerforyou:
  • auri77
    auri77 Posts: 39
    Options
    I can totally relate. when u dont think about it as much and just stay focused on eating healthy and doing normal day to day activity which keeps u moving.. it works! :)
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I think it happens to many of us..At least it is that way for me... I reached my goal weight by watching mostly my portions and learning to pick the best choice.
  • phillytle
    phillytle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No, you are not the only one. I feel exactly the same way.
  • marshalemar
    marshalemar Posts: 106
    Options
    I definitely feel the same way....I am an analyst by nature and by husband is constantly telling me that I over-analyze things. I have found myself really stressed here lately about making this diet thing happen...I do better when I don't think about it that much. Down 20 pounds, but about 50 more to go! I know I can do it, just have to get in the right mindset!
  • pjd1973
    pjd1973 Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm with ya! I find that if I totally deny myself the foods I like I'm more apt to stop trying to lose weight. For me moderation is the key.
  • JCubbins
    JCubbins Posts: 92
    Options
    I honestly know what you mean.
    When I came to conclusion that my body apparently doesn't want me to lose that last kilogram and I should maintain my weight, what happened? I lost it, without obsessing over it. :)
  • alsnipes
    alsnipes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of gimmicks but just saw the scale fluctuate, not get low and stay low. I like this place as a "diet" cuz it keeps you in check and one i started using healthy alternatives to satisfy my cravings i notice instant change in my attitude! I love sweets and found a big bowl of fresh fruit in the morning will knock my craving out of the park for most of the day!
    Keep chuggin along and always turn to a MFP when you need support.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you!
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Definately NOT ALONE... in fact I'm pretty sure like 75% of the whole mfp membership is in that boat right along with you! But I truly found balance and my 'power band of fat loss' when it stopped being a DIET and started just being what I do everyday...

Even my boyfriend has surrendered to fighting the life, he sees that healthy helps happy be happier, he's not trying to lose weight, but he is recognizing the need to be healthy for our future...
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    It is funny how when you are really good at exercise and keeping within goal it doesn't come off and then you have a few days of lighter exercise or even higher calories and it comes off. I think you needed those hard working days for the loss but if you are too strict it is hard to maintain the effort over time and I see people leave and gain it all back. Yes definitely for me this has to be more easy going and focusing on making progress at eating healthier and exercise to get healthier and less about strict dieting. I think that alot of progress is naturally made by just logging and paying attention. You notice that there is something to improve and when the time comes you work towards it and before you know it you have made a new step. Recently I noticed I didn't seem to be having as much trouble eating later in the evening. I never told myself I couldn't I just put it on the list of things that would be good to do and it just seemed to happen. Yes if our schedule is crazy with kid activities that go late we might eat later. Or my night classes are not so helpful but I am almost done with them and even now I seemed to have been able to figure out how to handle the adjustment better. I think our bodies and minds appreciate our taking care of them better and when we make that commitment we start working together instead at cross purposes and the effect (positive) is compounded. Things start to flow and getting all perfectionist and strict and punitive just doesn't work. I take care that I don't feel deprived while in this process. Nothing is off limits but alot of things are just not worth it too me anymore others I just don't seem to want at all or as frequently or not in as big a quantity. I think you have the right approach.