Have a hard time reaching 1000 calories

Options
i have looked at other threads about people being unable to reach their daily calorie goals but found the answers to all be that they just need to add more food. However, I feel like I cannot add any more food by the end of the day and many times I'm below 1000 calories. I am just not hungry and a late snack isn't possible because I'm already stuffed from dinner. I especially have issues now that I have added more fresh foods to my diet and choose a fruit for a snack instead of a low nutrition granola bar (not protein bar). Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to fix it? Again, adding a high calorie snack at the end of the day to meet my calorie count doesn't work for me and thus is irrelevant in this conversation.

Replies

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Prelog the days food so you know roughly where you'll be at the end of the day. Then when you can see how many calories you will be under by, replace one or more of the food items with something that's calorie dense. I had this issue and switched out my morning marmalade on toast for peanut butter on toast.
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i wish i had this problem. just eat more calorie dense food, not more food. -____-

nvm @ultrahoon already beat me to it.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It is hard to fully address without access to your diary, but often people pick low fat/fat free/skim options when they truly have room for the fuller/higher fat options that may be more satisfying. Also, as an easy add on, you could be including olive oil into cooking or sautéing veggies or roasting potatoes and root veggies. Other options include toppings, ie shredded cheese, black beans, avocado, etc to salads or entrees. Or, everyone's fave, peanut/nut butters!
    These options don't require a lot more (or any more) bulk to your intake, but pack a lot of nutritional benefits and needed healthy fats while upping that calorie count!
    Hope that helps!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Drink some juice. Very healthy, not too filling and high-calorie.

Do you eat breakfast? If not, try that. A lot of people who have trouble meeting their calories have an easier time if they add breakfast. Bread has lots of calories, so even a piece of toast would be helpful...especially with juice! :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    full-fat dairy, nuts, nut butters, use oils when cooking. Just add more calorie dense foods to your meals.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods. They're foods that boost your calories without adding much volume to amount of food in your stomach. An ounce of cheese here. A spoonful of peanut butter there. Smoothies. Juice. Cookies. I don't know how many calories you need to reach your goal, but it really can be simple to boost each meal by 100-200 calories with a little planning.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what kind of answers you are expect if you are absoliutely unwilling to eat more? That's kinda all we got.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of calorie dense healthy foods. Fat is healthy, and vital, and the most calorie dense macronutrient..... You can add calories easily without increasing volume much by incorporating fat sources in to every meal.

Choose the most calorie dense options if you struggle to eat enough - more starchy carbs (grains, starchy vegies, fruit like bananas, dates etc), whole eggs, full fat dairy, fattier cuts of protein (dark meat, fattier steaks, oily fish), cook in oil, add butter, use avocado, eat nuts etc.