Reusing a water bottle

Options
kellyscomeback
kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
I have a liter sized water bottle that I refill 3-4 times a day. My Mom said it's dangerous because the plastic sheds toxins after 2 reuses. I'd think if it was dangerous to refill it then it wouldn't be on the shelf at all, the toxins would be shed while the bottle sits there.

Thoughts?

Replies

• vbradl1234
    vbradl1234 Posts: 8
    Options
    I do the same and would like to know if this is a myth or not xx
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the answer to this also, cuz I do the same thing. :indifferent:
  • joegray
    joegray Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is true
    they are only single use bottles
    suggest using a glass or a reusable bottle
  • royam01
    royam01 Posts: 123
    Options
    I do the same thing. Its cheaper than drinking 3 bottles of water and its better for the environment to refill them... don't know about the toxins thing :)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i do it all the time and am not dead yet. I believe its a myth perpetuated by bottled water manufacturers.

How would the bottle know that it was different water in there than the original water? Surely if it was true then it would make bottled water dangerous in itself if suddenly it just started leaking toxins? Its only plastic. Im sure its pretty inert at normal temperatures
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/plasticbottles.asp

Basically this says the plastic that is used for most water bottles (not the Nalgene type) are fine and don't contain the chemicals they talk about.
  • s_waser
    s_waser Posts: 92
    Options
    About a year or two ago there were news reports that said you shouldn't reuse water bottles that are prefilled more than once because they leak toxins into your water. I have bought reusable cups and water bottles that are BPA free. They are meant for refilling over and over.
  • heatherseona
    heatherseona Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I repeat several times myself.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I reuse mine for weeks; many times a day....I've never heard this =\ Hmm, maybe something for me to look into
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    Google BPA. That's the chemical that leeches into the water. The bottles that you buy water in are one-use bottles.

The ones you buy (like Nalgene, etc.) are generally safe to reuse. Better yet, buy a metal reusable.

Save your life, save a dolphin, save the planet.....
  • jillerin457
    jillerin457 Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks for posting the Snopes link, Becca. When you hear something like this, that someone's friend of a friend sent in an email, always check it out on Snopes first. That "after 2 times" seems kind of arbitrary, doesn't it?

Related PSA: antiperspirants do not, in fact, cause cancer. ;)
  • SarahC75
    SarahC75 Posts: 45
    Options
    Eek, I've been reusing one too.

Just googled it, and found this.

http://environment.about.com/od/healthenvironment/a/plastic_bottles.htm
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/plasticbottles.asp

Basically this says the plastic that is used for most water bottles (not the Nalgene type) are fine and don't contain the chemicals they talk about.
    Ah, I should have check out snopes!

Thanks, forwarding that to her...
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a myth. I think it's true. That's why I use a reusable bottle. I switch between a metal bottle and a glass bottle.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    yeah supposably if you dont wash them out and clean them your own germs stay on the bottle and are harmful but if u rinse them first it should be fine. also the bpa problem is only an issue if the bottle is heated so dont leave in car in the summer or in hot place
  • MariaAlexandra
    MariaAlexandra Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would rather use a refillable water bottle! LOL My parents always buy Poland Spring packs, those that come with 24+4 bottles. They use less plastic and if you recycle them, it doesn't matter how much you buy because they are going to be cleaned out anyway for reuse.
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it has to do with heating the plastic bottles, because of the heat the plastic holds toxins that can leech out into the water.

So, when you leave your water bottle in a hot car or anyplace where the bottle warms up.... and when the plastic heats up the the toxins are released into the water.

I use to do the same thing for years. I used the same water bottle over and over. Now, I use a Rubbermaid refillable water bottle and love it. I no longer by water bottles and reuse them.