Resistance training for dummies?

Options
I'm new to all this, and I just want some advice on resistance training. I have 70-90 pounds to lose. I can't go to a gym though, long story short, I have a special needs child who I can't drive alone with, and can't have anyone other than a nurse babysit, so heading out to a gym a few times a week just isn't an option. So I have to do all my exercise and training at home. I don't know where to even begin, buying weights, those big elastics, I don't even know. And then I don't even know what to do with them beside a bicep curl. I have a low back injury, so I'm hesitant to just jump in without a plan. Sigh, I'm feeling discouraged with my ignorance. I'm not used to not knowing much about something I'm pursuing so passionately, lol, it's humbling! Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You can start with bodyweight exercises the first month or 2, but eventually it's good to invest in some equipment. Many different opinions on this, but i'd start with a pair of adjustable dumbbells and a set of door-mountable resistance bands.
    For a bodyweight routine, try Nerd Fitness's site. For other options, search the archives for titles like "home strength training". It's asked a lot here.

Since you have an injury, the safest approach is to ignore everything i said and work with a physical therapist, or hire a good trainer to come over and give you a customized routine, and check your form. If you can't do that, research form extensively on Youtube, and also video yourself. :+1:
  • nataliewalters5851
    nataliewalters5851 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting this journey and trying to make a plan. Google is your ultimate friend. There are unlimited resources out there with tons of info!! I would suggest getting a few sets of dumbbells at different weights to start. A set of 5lb, 10lb, and 15lb would be good to start. You can get them at stores like target, dicks sporting goods, or look online for a set. You can just google "beginner workouts with dumbbells" you'll find a ton of exercises and workouts to do from home. Just YouTube the exercises and you can see them demonstrated. It may take an hour or so to do some research on workouts and exercises but won't take you long to get the basics!! Just research!!! Try and learn a few basic exercises like the squat, walking lunges, chest press, dumbbell row, shoulder press, and do those 3x a week. Incorporate some cardio with jumping jacks or even walking around the neighborhood. Here's a link to a full body dumbbell workout. If you don't have dumbbells you can use soup cans, water jugs, anything with weight!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rudy6.htm
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you...special needs mom and all. <3
    I'm going to start slow with the Nerd Fitness routine (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/) because the only equipment needed is a milk jug. It's the only beginner plan that didn't seem overwhelming to me.
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Dariasen wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you...special needs mom and all. <3
    I'm going to start slow with the Nerd Fitness routine (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/) because the only equipment needed is a milk jug. It's the only beginner plan that didn't seem overwhelming to me.

Sounds awesome! Thanks!